SiouxSports.com Forum

ND HS Hockey- Mike Peluso

OgieOgilthorpe

Wow...I am an assistant on my son's Mite team.  After we scored about ten goals without surrendering a shot the other weekend, we pulled the boys in and told them that the goal was now to get two of our weakest players to get their first goals.  None of the regular scorers were allowed to shoot...that's U8 folks..gotta teach them respect.

i also benched my son for a shift for trash talking the other bench after he scored a goal against a good team we were playing this last week.  

You don't have to respect your opponent, but you have to respect yourself, your teammates, and the game.

somrone said it...karma's a bitch

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Mike is a pile of you know what. Don't come on here and try to defend him. IF he was man enough he would send the jv squad with the 4th liners and win the game. I'm not going to take the excuse of padding the stats, this is HS hockey for gods sake! You never run up the score like that for any reason.  Pelusio better remember that karma is a biatch. 

You act like he just committed a felony and should be strung up.  Like there is a huge difference between scoring 24 goals in a game or scoring 17-18, an a** Kicking is an a** kicking period.  The score was 20-1 after two periods, so they only scored 4 goals in the 3rd.  So in reality the score could have probably been a lot worse.  All I am saying is I don't think Mike ran up the score to prove a point or make someone look bad. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not hockey but a good example none the less........my daughter plays in a HS indoor soccer league in the F-M area. Play is 6v6 so there are a few split HS squads. 3 weeks ago her team was up 10-0 at half. The final score was 10-1. The girls have no coaches in this league.....just a bunch of 15-18 year old girls who knew winning 20-0 wouldn't benefit anyone. They took it upon themselves to work on possession and passing.....and defensive tactics. Took a few shots on goal in the second half but definitely realized the situation at hand. No one can tell me that if HS girls can understand a lopsided situation and how to deal with it that an actual HS coach can't.

Based on some of the stories I read and/or hear about, the major problem in youth sports isn't the kids, it's the parents and (sometimes) the coaches. This story doesn't surprise me in the least.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I (unfortunately) have been on both sides of this. 

When you're on the good side, yeah, flip your line rotation so the 4 and 3 units are out there more. And we rolled some D at F and F at D. We put guys into unusual roles to build future depth. 

When you're on the bad side there's not much you can to ... but get chippy. :whistling:

Thinking back more about this, I remember one "not on the good side" game where the other team's captain actually gave me a couple pointers on positioning and decisions in front of the net when trying to move someone out. At one point during a stoppage and official raced up to us thinking we were about to "go" but we were recapping how my defense partner and I could get better zone coverage by changing a couple angles.

I wondered why he was being such a nice guy. We were playing their arch rival in our next game. :D 

That's a good opportunity to dress a kid who wants to play goalie but doesn't have the skills.  You win 13-6 it doesn't look so bad.

I certainly would have jumped at that chance in high school had my parents not crushed my dreams of playing hockey after they forgot my birthday and wouldn't let me play after 4th grade ;)

On 12/8/2016 at 10:14 AM, DougTheThug said:

You act like he just committed a felony and should be strung up.  Like there is a huge difference between scoring 24 goals in a game or scoring 17-18, an a** Kicking is an a** kicking period.  The score was 20-1 after two periods, so they only scored 4 goals in the 3rd.  So in reality the score could have probably been a lot worse.  All I am saying is I don't think Mike ran up the score to prove a point or make someone look bad. 

He is a bad role model for these kids by allowing that to happen. He didn't do it to make the other team look bad he did it to make himself look good by padding their stats. That's no excuse if the score could have been worse. Act like a dam adult if you are going to be a coach. There are enough kids on the team itself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

He is a bad role model for these kids by allowing that to happen. He didn't do it to make the other team look bad he did it to make himself look good by padding their stats. That's no excuse if the score could have been worse. Act like a dam adult if you are going to be a coach. There are enough kids on the team itself. 

A bad role model?  You think this game has any effect on any of these kids lives or future decisions they make in life?  You think any of these kids gave two cents about the score two days later?  At this point I am thinking you have put more thought into this then every kid on both teams combined.  If you brought it up to either kid on either of the teams they would probably give you a look of who cares it happened a week ago, why are you even talking about it.  I think it's safe to assume any future events or decisions anyone of these kids faces in their life will be effected absolutely zero by a hockey score.  

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2016 at 9:26 AM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

The very worst I recall Whap getting beat was to RR one season and it was something like 16-0 or even 18-0 and that was highly frowned upon around the State. I remember everyone talking about that game and how demeaning it was. Their typical blow outs were more like 9-1, 11-0 etc. So no, there have been no blow outs in this caliber in a LONG time, if ever. 

I doubt he was going for recognition. You don't earn respect by beating a very poor team 24-1 instead of 10-0.

14 minutes ago, planet2county said:

12/2/08  Red River beat Wahpeton 18-0
2/5/09    GF Central beat Wahpeton 15-0

I might have missed it but I did not see any discussion on this board regarding these outcomes at the time that they occurred.
So I am wondering if views have changed?

It has been discussed  ^^^  . I vividly remember the the 18-0 RR game being talk about around the state as being unsportsmanlike. I remember the sports anchor on WDAZ  even commenting on it. As word spread, rumors came back explaining that Whap made a few cheap shots on some of the top dog RR players so RR started to light the lamp rapidly. 

The line between the have's and the have nots isn't a very fine line in ND high school hockey.  There is a reason why GFC and RR don't schedule teams like HB and Bottineau for NC games.  Bismarck didn't have a choice and not to defend Peluso but these things happen.

I don't think you can determine hockey culture based on the score of one hockey game either.  He's on his 9th year as a coach, wouldn't the school have gotten rid of him by now if he was providing a bad environment?  I think its his overall day in and day out interaction with the kids that determines the culture he creates.  I can see maybe a comment stating that game got a little out of hand or something, but to call his character out and call him names is a little over the top I think.  I don't think Mike has any interest in padding kids stats.  Yes he cares about the kids and wants them to all succeed on an individual basis, but in the end it's about the team and trying to hopefully make a run at the state tournament.  When you hopefully get to state it doesn't matter what stats anyone put up against HB.   

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2016 at 3:56 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It has been discussed  ^^^  . I vividly remember the the 18-0 RR game being talk about around the state as being unsportsmanlike. I remember the sports anchor on WDAZ  even commenting on it. As word spread, rumors came back explaining that Whap made a few cheap shots on some of the top dog RR players so RR started to light the lamp rapidly. 

Let me just set the record straight as an assistant coach of that Wahpeton team.  None of our players could catch the Red River players to get a cheap shot in on them.  You can't hit what you can't catch....:D

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I see he's on twitter advocating for two class system 

east schools hate playing the west

Peluso is? 

I could see a North vs South system working better than a 2 class system. Traveling distance is the only bugger there. Although I do see the need for a two class system and understand where that argument comes from, I just don't see it happening. If all of the JR. Gold teams jumped in to join the lower class, I could see it being a little more realistic but that probably will never happen because of school funding. Not to compare to the crappy state of MN, but they have a two class system for what 200-250 teams? Doesn't it seem a little over kill to change to a two class system when we only have 17 teams to go around? Splitting it up would lead to doing a 4 team state tourney? 

Speaking of 17 teams, I am curious to how Shanley/South get away with co-oping? Look at Grafton/PR, Bott, HB and DL producing enough for teams but they're saying Shanley and South can no longer produce enough to make teams? Pretty sure Oak Grove contributes some players to them as well. Will the new WF school have a hockey program some day, and same for a new school in Bismarck? How does Valley City not produce enough kids for a HS hockey team, or even a JR. GOLD team? Do those kids go to Jamestown to play? 

On 12/9/2016 at 2:42 PM, DougTheThug said:

A bad role model?  You think this game has any effect on any of these kids lives or future decisions they make in life?  You think any of these kids gave two cents about the score two days later?  At this point I am thinking you have put more thought into this then every kid on both teams combined.  If you brought it up to either kid on either of the teams they would probably give you a look of who cares it happened a week ago, why are you even talking about it.  I think it's safe to assume any future events or decisions anyone of these kids faces in their life will be effected absolutely zero by a hockey score.  

Well, not exactly.  As a basketball coach, I remember about 20 years ago--yes, 20 years ago--we beat our rivals three times in one year; they were a much bigger school than ours and it was the first time that we'd ever beaten them.  The next year we were down (we'd lost 4 starters) and they put a 40-some point beatdown on us on our home court ( I think the final score was 80-34) and they were still pressing us in the second half with a 30+ point lead.  It was an obvious attempt at a beatdown after we'd beaten them three times the previous season and was a disgraceful display of "sportsmanship."  So, not only are these things not forgotten overnight, but I lost a lot of respect for the opposing coach.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Well, not exactly.  As a basketball coach, I remember about 20 years ago--yes, 20 years ago--we beat our rivals three times in one year; they were a much bigger school than ours and it was the first time that we'd ever beaten them.  The next year we were down (we'd lost 4 starters) and they put a 40-some point beatdown on us on our home court ( I think the final score was 80-34) and they were still pressing us in the second half with a 30+ point lead.  It was an obvious attempt at a beatdown after we'd beaten them three times the previous season and was a disgraceful display of "sportsmanship."  So, not only are these things not forgotten overnight, but I lost a lot of respect for the opposing coach.

I agree. High school sports have a bigger effect on kids than people may think. I am not saying one game will make the difference, but they will definitely remember that game for years and years and some of them may not be very proud of it. I

f a coach seems to be successful and consistently shows disrespect some may think that is the way to his success and may take after him more than you think. Getting pretty deep here, but stuff like that sticks with you and can even rub off on you. 

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, JParisien17 said:

That's just some of the things my son endured.. I could fill 3-4 more pages..

Thank you. Pretty horse shyt things they did and said to your son. You obviously made the right decision. As a former high school coach myself I probably would of said no mercy too. Very classless of them to not announce your sons name too. That program can fold as far as I'm concerned. 

• Upvote 2