SiouxSports.com Forum

ND HS Hockey- Mike Peluso

OgieOgilthorpe

Bismarck High defeats Hazen/Beulah 24-1 last night. Yes, you read that correctly...24 goals in a varsity hockey game. That far surpasses crossing the line in running up the score IMO. Seeing this made me instantly lose a lot of respect for Mike Peluso, even if there is some sort of backstory to explain this disrespectful blowout. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't a lot of the higher caliber west teams sent their JV teams to HB and Bott in recent years? Why did that change for this game? Was he shooting for the state record of goals scored in a game (probably obtained it)? Is there some back story of a cheap shot from last season or something?

I noticed HB numbers are lower than ever and they don't have their top 3 returning scorers from last season. Is HB on the verge of losing their program and Mike is trying to nudge them off the ledge?

Side notes: A BHS SR. has 12 goals and 13 pts in 3 games. Looks like he is on pace to beat Peluso's scoring record.  

How in the sam hell did HB score a goal? BHS goalies had a combined save total of TWO, and let the 3rd one slide past. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Trying to pad stats

hhes sick of the east playas getting all the recognition

i seem to remember whap breck was always getting beat that bad 

shame on peluso prolly still feelin prpich 

Wrong Peluso....or are you just fishin'?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Trying to pad stats

hhes sick of the east playas getting all the recognition

i seem to remember whap breck was always getting beat that bad 

shame on peluso prolly still feelin prpich 

The very worst I recall Whap getting beat was to RR one season and it was something like 16-0 or even 18-0 and that was highly frowned upon around the State. I remember everyone talking about that game and how demeaning it was. Their typical blow outs were more like 9-1, 11-0 etc. So no, there have been no blow outs in this caliber in a LONG time, if ever. 

I doubt he was going for recognition. You don't earn respect by beating a very poor team 24-1 instead of 10-0.

53 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

The very worst I recall Whap getting beat was to RR one season and it was something like 16-0 or even 18-0 and that was highly frowned upon around the State. I remember everyone talking about that game and how demeaning it was. Their typical blow outs were more like 9-1, 11-0 etc. So no, there have been no blow outs in this caliber in a LONG time, if ever. 

I doubt he was going for recognition. You don't earn respect by beating a very poor team 24-1 instead of 10-0.

We used to run them up into the 20's.  we'd just play them once for double pts.

42 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I remember GF Central beating West Fargo 20-0 during the 1983-84 season. Central only lost two games that year, and both were vs. Minnesota schools. Fergus Falls was one of them, don't recall for sure who the other was. I want to say it was either Roseau or Warroad, maybe Crookston or Thief River Falls. At any rate, that Central team was pretty dominant even without Steve Johnson (who had given up his senior year to go play juniors in preparation for joining the Sioux in 1984-85).

I miss those days. But things are so much better now that we can see these games on tv in UHD!

11 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Wow, that's quite the twist! Interesting...which 2 are they? 

Never mind, I took a look for myself. Dain Sardelli and Jakob Parisien. Where did Mikey Morris end up?

Looking back, I know I wouldn't have ever done that to my home town, or my life long teammates. 

I remember that Tyrell McBain (RIP) from HB who had an outstanding Sophmore season left afterwards as well. I think he had somewhere in the ball park of 30-35 goals that season. Then he tried to move to Devils Lake to join a solid group in his class that he was familiar with, but his mom was unable to find a job in time so he ended up at Fargo South. I think he played JV and 4th line varsity his JR. year and had a very moderate Sr. season there as well. 

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Never mind, I took a look for myself. Dain Sardelli and Jakob Parisien. Where did Mikey Morris end up?

Looking back, I know I wouldn't have ever done that to my home town, or my life long teammates. 

I remember that Tyrell McBain (RIP) from HB who had an outstanding Sophmore season left afterwards as well. I think he had somewhere in the ball park of 30-35 goals that season. Then he tried to move to Devils Lake to join a solid group in his class that he was familiar with, but his mom was unable to find a job in time so he ended up at Fargo South. I think he played JV and 4th line varsity his JR. year and had a very moderate Sr. season there as well. 

Morris quit and is playing basketball.

Hazen is no different than any other small town competing against larger schools. When the numbers are up, they can compete, but when they are down, it can be ugly. Hazen had some strong teams from like 2000ish to 2005-2006 or so. I heard rumblings that they didn't think they were going to have enough kids to ice a team this year and were looking to coop with another school. It looks like they have 13 kids on the roster, 2 being goalies. Its also been mentioned they lost their top 3 players from last year. Beating a team with 11 skaters 24-1 is pathetic, but I would expect nothing less from Mike Peluso.  

Peluso is a tool and always has been.   A couple years ago he was pissed off about some calls in Bismarck and emptied a garbage can in the ref room.  It's gotten to the point where its hard to get anybody to ref BHS games in Bismarck.

• Upvote 1

What towns could HB co-op with out there? Mandan would be an hour drive, but could be a possibility (Rugby is 50 miles from Bott and Cando is 40 miles from DL). Which team do Bismarck St. Mary kids go to play hockey? Are there any other small towns around HB that have Jr. Gold hockey or anything? I would hate to lose HB, or any other hockey program in the state for that matter. 

26 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

What towns could HB co-op with out there? Mandan would be an hour drive, but could be a possibility (Rugby is 50 miles from Bott and Cando is 40 miles from DL). Which team do Bismarck St. Mary kids go to play hockey? Are there any other small towns around HB that have Jr. Gold hockey or anything? I would hate to lose HB, or any other hockey program in the state for that matter. 

St. Mary's kids were suppose to goto Century (from what I was told and saw), but this kid who moved to Bismarck from Colorado was going to St. Mary and played for Bismarck. So it looks like anyone that goes to St. Mary can play for the school they want to.

Well it sounds like half the team decided to coop with Bismarck. :lol: 

I have a buddy with a young kid in the Hazen program. I don't know if a coop was seriously discussed. If it was, Dickinson or Mandan would be my guess. He says Hazen will struggle for awhile with numbers being down, but the youth levels are strong. Hopefully they tread water until the numbers rise back up. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Username Taken said:

Well it sounds like half the team decided to coop with Bismarck. :lol: 

I have a buddy with a young kid in the Hazen program. I don't know if a coop was seriously discussed. If it was, Dickinson or Mandan would be my guess. He says Hazen will struggle for awhile with numbers being down, but the youth levels are strong. Hopefully they tread water until the numbers rise back up. 

Well I hope the numbers stay strong as they pass through each stage of the hockey levels. For a town/towns of that size, it is hard to juggle kids between the 3 main winter sports. There just aren't enough to go around to have 3 strong programs usually. I remember HB having some solid teams in the past, so it would be nice to see that again sometime in the future. Same goes for Bott.