SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Tourney 2016

Smoggy

Attendance aside, the crowd that was there last night was effective when the team needed some energy. I know the UND football team had poor Sarah Sharp, the vandals 6'4" OH, rattled all night!  They got into her head early and she must have drove all of her serves into the net.  The basketball team wasn't as active on the other end but they were into it, too.

It didn't look overly sparse last night compared to the regular season games.  

6 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Attendance aside, the crowd that was there last night was effective when the team needed some energy. I know the UND football team had poor Sarah Sharp, the vandals 6'4" OH, rattled all night!  They got into her head early and she must have drove all of her serves into the net.  The basketball team wasn't as active on the other end but they were into it, too.

It didn't look overly sparse last night compared to the regular season games.  

I agree, that I thought the actual number was low compared to the effectiveness of the crowd.  It'd be great to pack a couple thousand in there for the championship if we make it.  (even if we don't, I guess 2,000 watching a conference championship game would be a good thing)

• Upvote 1

Too bad that VB has to go up against the women's hockey annual gimmick of getting people in the door against biggest rival for $1. I think I have seen more mentions in both regular and social media of the WH game tonight than the VB game. They might have to even hire ticket takers tonight at the Ralph for the hockey game. :silly:

18 minutes ago, teamsioux said:

Too bad that VB has to go up against the women's hockey annual gimmick of getting people in the door against biggest rival for $1. I think I have seen more mentions in both regular and social media of the WH game tonight than the VB game. They might have to even hire ticket takers tonight at the Ralph for the hockey game. :silly:

Easy solution - go the VB game first, which takes 1.5 hours roughly, and then you've still got plenty of hockey time left after that.

I think it's safe to say that all of the above (No Champions club passes, no free student passes, hockey and probably to a lesser degree HS state volleyball) contributed to the poor attendance. Which is frustrating, because I know the athletic department is working VERY hard to make sure that everything in the tournament is first class.  Let's hope for better attendance tonight.

3 minutes ago, undVBfan said:

I think it's safe to say that all of the above (No Champions club passes, no free student passes, hockey and probably to a lesser degree HS state volleyball) contributed to the poor attendance. Which is frustrating, because I know the athletic department is working VERY hard to make sure that everything in the tournament is first class.  Let's hope for better attendance tonight.

There was no hockey last night, but there is tonight, so it's possible the numbers could be less.  We are putting on a first class tournament, though.

I know many non-Volleyball regulars who say they will go tomorrow night if they win tonight including a few who are unable to make the hockey games in St. Cloud this weekend because of weather. 

Hopefully as many or more football players show up.  They helped crowd get into it when needed. Nice to see them return the support they have received.

20 minutes ago, Dustin said:

There was no hockey last night, but there is tonight, so it's possible the numbers could be less.  We are putting on a first class tournament, though.

The new video boards help modernize the experience also.  Those archaic score boards were embarrassing for a fairly new facility.   Nice to see running stats especially for a sport many of us are learning.

2 hours ago, teamsioux said:

Following Schloss on twitter you would think WH is the only event happening this weekend.

28 minutes ago, Stromer said:

Following Schloss on twitter you would think WH is the only event happening this weekend.

I put on his "Friday Morning Reading" for those who are going to the WH game against Minnesota to stop by the VB game first!

1 hour ago, Stromer said:

Wait... so the hockey reporter for the herald is talking about a hockey series this weekend?  Damn him!

Did you see Ryan Powell's Twitter last week when UND was clinching the Big Sky RS Championship in volleyball?  Not a single tweet!  How dare he!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Wait... so the hockey reporter for the herald is talking about a hockey series this weekend?  Damn him!

Did you see Ryan Powell's Twitter last week when UND was clinching the Big Sky RS Championship in volleyball?  Not a single tweet!  How dare he!

His cheerleading for WH during the sports cutting discussion was embarrassing. If people really cared about seeing Olympians in action, they wouldn't need $1 tickets to draw them in.

• Upvote 4