Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
UND92,96

UND to Summit/MVFC

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

I can read a map.  It is about money.  Location is a huge factor related to expenses.  We won't save money if we are mired in the middle of the MVC.  We were just establishing ourselves as a Big Sky power in FB and WBB.  We are there in VB.   Hopefully now in MBB.  We haven't launched any marketing with the new logo.  We haven't stepped up our marketing for athletics and the University.  We leave a lot of money on the table and tend to focus on cutting expenses rather than increase revenues.

UND is working extremely hard with alumni and friends to help us through these financial challenges ahead. Most of that energy isn't directly about sports, but many times sports at UND are somehow in that equation of conversation, and that is an immeasurable asset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

The move wouldn't be happening if UND had to go independent for two years.  Moot point.  

I get that. I also get why they don't like it. But it really is more of, deal with it for two years, or deal with the travel and expense for much longer.

Move just makes sense for UND and the other Big Sky schools.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand the wanting to pave your own path crowd, but when you really take a step back, I don't see any negatives with this move. It saves you $500K a year on travel and should increase revenues, by playing more teams people actually want to see. UND has been on an island for years and I don't think its helped any of their programs from a hype standpoint. I want UND to have a well oiled athletic department and this is the first step. Step two is to cut a couple programs.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all makes sense now ... the Big Ten Conference (BTC) formed the BTHC (Big Ten Hockey Conference).

UND (and DU and UNO) have the NCHC. 

Well, as Jack Michaels said on KFGO this morning, ..."We're putting the band back together." -- Jake Blues

This new "Summit" is the band being put back together (UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, Omaha, a team in Colorado). 

 

It is going to be renamed the NCC, because about half the members are already in the (... wait for it ...) NCHC. ;):D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case people were wondering, here is what each conference ranked nationally compared to other FCS/D1 conferences for FB and MBB since UND started competing in the Big Sky in 2012.

                                     Big Sky FB         MVFC                Big Sky MBB         Summit MBB                

2012-2013                          4th                 3rd                          28th                      19th

2013-2014                          6th                 5th                           26th                      18th

2014-2015                           4th                1st                           26th                      21st

2015-2016                           6th                1st                            28th                     12th

2016-2017                           5th                1st                            29th                      17th

 

Hate to admit it, but the MVFC and the Summit has been a better conference than the Big Sky since 2012. Obviously this is just two sports, but it is the two biggest ones.  So add another item to the list of why moving to Summit.MVFC is a good move......We are joining a much better conference.  

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know rankings like this are completely subjective, but let's combine the MVFC and Big Sky. Ranking teams you want to see, rest being relatively similar (i.e. Northern Arizona and Illinois State). I'd put it:

1) NDSU

2/3/4) SDSU, Montana, Northern Iowa

5/6/7) Eastern Washington, USD, Montana State

I think the MVFC has three teams that everyone will be very excited to see at home, compared to 1 in the Big Sky.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So in the end, everyone moved up to D1 for the opportunity to play the exact same competition for millions more, which we evidently can't afford.  Can't wait.  

Dude. Nailed it. 

NCC 2.0

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what I don't understand. The goal currently for Football is to win a FCS Championship, right? The goal for basketball is to make the NCAA tournament, right? Why would you pay more in expenses (as well as potentially less revenue) to accomplish the same thing? For those who are saying look towards the future, what in the upcoming years would the Big Sky provide that the Summit / MVFC wouldn't?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

How does this make sense? If there'a a longer-term plan. 

... but there I go dreaming again. 

I remember the day Bubba was named head coach.  I wont name names, but many here were so disappointed and upset that the national search had yielded Bubba Schweigert.

Turns out "Lowell Schweigert's circle of friends and influence" were right in the end.

I'm guessing and hoping the end result for UND in the Summit/MVFC will be similar.  We will see.  I hope I'm right.

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

from a cultural standpoint id rather be aligned with the big sky but this move always seemed coming due to the decreased travel expenses. gotta wonder how it will impact recruiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

It all makes sense now ... the Big Ten Conference (BTC) formed the BTHC (Big Ten Hockey Conference).

UND (and DU and UNO) have the NCHC. 

Well, as Jack Michaels said on KFGO this morning, ..."We're putting the band back together." -- Jake Blues

This new "Summit" is the band being put back together (UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, Omaha, a team in Colorado). 

 

It is going to be renamed the NCC, because about half the members are already in the (... wait for it ...) NCHC. ;):D

 

What a revelation! So ultimately this move is also prepping for NDSU to add hockey as well! :) haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So in the end, everyone moved up to D1 for the opportunity to play the exact same competition for millions more, which we evidently can't afford.  Can't wait.  

Very well said, in the beginning UND and USD knew of the cost ramifications and therefore weren't interested in the initial move. And there are many more costs that came along that most people don't even come close to realize. The SU's like to say it was the scare of the NCC of not having enough FB scholarships. 

Here's where the drive was from within as explained to me in the early years of Div I by a cousin of mine, who was a county extension agent. And this is what the two schools sold their alumni on. We are loosing our great professors and sraff to Div I schools because if your Div I, everyone gets a much bigger salary. Sure, we are going to pay our coaches much more also, in fact everyone in the academics, we will be that much better a institution. We SU's really need this or we will end up with the not so desired staff. And wait, this will also help to raise salaries in the whole state with people in county extension offices, all employees of the SU's, and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

So in the end, everyone moved up to D1 for the opportunity to play the exact same competition for millions more, which we evidently can't afford.  Can't wait.  

I get what you are saying, but the conference is more than just the Dakota schools, and if you succeed in that conference you have the opportunity to play even more schools that were not in the NCC or at the D2 level with us, with the eventual goal to win an FCS championship.

Basketball, we have the opportunity to do the same, play schools other than just the dakota schools with a shot at going to the big dance. (women's basketball has already had that opportunity, volleyball is the same)

Moving up to D1 was absolutely the right move, and had the MVFC even been an option, this is where we would have started. The talent level and competitiveness has certainly been better than D2. NDSU, SDSU and USD are all better than they were, even if they are the same school, so does it really matter? We're playing some of the same schools, but certainly not the same teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I remember the day Bubba was named head coach.  I wont name names, but many here were so disappointed and upset that the national search had yielded Bubba Schweigert.

Turns out "Lowell Schweigert's circle of friends and influence" were right in the end.

I'm guessing and hoping the end result for UND in the Summit/MVFC will be similar.  We will see.  I hope I'm right.

The disappointing thing about the Schweigert hire was it took 2 weeks longer than it needed to because Faison had no idea what he was doing, resulting in player defections and missed recruits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just in case people were wondering, here is what each conference ranked nationally compared to other FCS/D1 conferences for FB and MBB since UND started competing in the Big Sky in 2012.

                                     Big Sky FB         MVFC                Big Sky MBB         Summit MBB                

2012-2013                          4th                 3rd                          28th                      19th

2013-2014                          6th                 5th                           26th                      18th

2014-2015                           4th                1st                           26th                      21st

2015-2016                           6th                1st                            28th                     12th

2016-2017                           5th                1st                            29th                      17th

 

Hate to admit it, but the MVFC and the Summit has been a better conference than the Big Sky since 2012. Obviously this is just two sports, but it is the two biggest ones.  So add another item to the list of why moving to Summit.MVFC is a good move......We are joining a much better conference.  

 

Meh.

The fact that NDSU has been the dominant basketball program in the Summit since they joined, and the fact that SDSU has been one of the dominant football programs in the MVFC since they joined tells me all I need to know about "how strong" those conferences are.  Neither of those programs were ever known for doing much in either of those sports before they joined those conferences.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bincitysioux said:

Meh.

The fact that NDSU has been the dominant basketball program in the Summit since they joined, and the fact that SDSU has been one of the dominant football programs in the MVFC since they joined tells me all I need to know about "how strong" those conferences are.  Neither of those programs were ever known for doing much in either of those sports before they joined those conferences.

So you're questioning the strength of the conferences? or the teams? The way I see it, those teams made the most of their moves into the conferences. And haven't both been more successful than UND to this point? Haven't those conferences actually been more successful than the Big Sky?

While I like the Big Sky, and it has been fun, hasn't the MVFC been more successful overall? and again, while I have like Big Sky competition in Basketball, hasn't the Summit actually been the higher rated conference, and had more success in The Tourney?

I get why people might not like the move because they like the Big Sky, but this move is hardly a step backwards in any way. At the very worst, it could be seen as lateral, when you take all factors into consideration, and likely beneficial in the long run. The truth is nobody know exactly what the landscape of the Summit or the MVFC, or FCS football will look like in the next 10 years. UND just needs to roll with their decision and keep doing what they are doing to succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The disappointing thing about the Schweigert hire was it took 2 weeks longer than it needed to because Faison had no idea what he was doing, resulting in player defections and missed recruits.

There was absolutely disappointment from that aspect from many here, including myself.  The timeframe was ridiculous.  I agree.

I'm saying many here were very disappointed that Bubba was the choice, regardless of the time frame.  Jamie Marshall, Jeff Mills, Robin Pflugrad etc.  "New Blood" with "D1 head coaching experience".  Some were even giving Deboer more time than Bubba to turn it around because he was a UND guy.  In a siouxports.com poll, 60% favored Kalen over Bubba here.

"With Bubba it's 3 years.."

I love the fact that you can search the forum archives here. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...