SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, darell1976 said:

I just saw that UND will have the second smallest arena in the Summit League only IPFW is smaller (unless they play in the war memorial coliseum) and the second smallest stadium in the MVFC only South Dakota is smaller, compared to 7th out of 14 teams in the Big Sky for football and 9th out of 12 teams for basketball. I wonder if playing in bigger buildings will be a new learning experience for the Fighting Hawks or maybe if the buildings are half full it won't matter. 

Venues might be a little smaller but in terms of attendance, UND falls squarely in the middle in both leagues.

Side note - Looks like with 2 home games to go, basketball attendance is over 200/game (about 11%) higher than compared to last year. Guessing it will push slightly higher, I'd expect a decent turnout for Sac St and a big one for senior day against PSU.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

"about to"...as in about 10 years when they raise the money?  They just spent every last nickle on the basketball facility, like NDSU.  

Phase 1 will start in 2018, if you read the article.

Believe it or not USD has a lot of money and many well-heeled donors.  The school just never prioritized athletics in the past.  That has changed now.

41 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Phase 1 will start in 2018, if you read the article.

Believe it or not USD has a lot of money and many well-heeled donors.  The school just never prioritized athletics in the past.  That has changed now.

Gotcha, didn't see that.  The money is coming from the Onward Campaign, correct?  Phase One (of four), which is locker rooms and chairs for students, will be done in a couple years then. 

Has to be done in stages as tearing apart the Dome to do the whole thing at once would effect the football season.

The phases don't all involve seating capacity.  Example, Phase 4 involves the pool underneath the east side grand stand.

I envision the renovation on the West side to be a little different looking than the east side.  I can imagine a lower deck, mezzanine, and then an upper deck.  Seating could actually be maximized in that sort of an arrangement.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.thesummitleague.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20170308n357b3

Talks about the Summit breaking its new attendance marks for its basketball championships and the header already has UND listed for future membership. (and five of the other nine teams UND has been playing in one sport or another for years)

This could be a good way to help grow basketball in Grand Forks and could become the "WCHA Final Five" of UND college basketball that so many of the hockey fans enjoyed. 

The inaugural Summit Fan Fest, featuring interactive games, pep rallies and additional fan activities drew approximately 4,000 fans over two days.

The Summit Championship is on ESPN2 vs the Big Sky on ESPNU.

I believe this league could someday rival the Missouri Valley.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Cratter said:

So great planning on the part of the Summit? ;)

Considering how many fans complain about the semi's and finals being on a Monday/Tuesday, I'm not so sure. 

Regardless, Sioux Falls had done a great job with the tournament. 

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Considering how many of fans complain about the semi's and finals being on a Monday/Tuesday, I'm not so sure. 

Didn't pay that close attention to know those were the days of the tournament. Might not be the "Final Five of UND basketball" I was hoping for.

Just move it to this weekend and bump off the MAC Championship on ESPN2 or the Big Sky Finals on ESPNU (Teams with existing ESPN contracts get first dibs amirite).:)

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it does seem stupid it took the summit people so long to take und...we instantly make the league more stable, respectable, and competitive...not to sound cocky but we instantly bc the big dog/ top dog in the league

I'll throw this question out there

If Kelley was still the president, does UND make this move?

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'll throw this question out there

If Kelley was still the president, does UND make this move?

i think it just took some time for new presidents and ad's to get on the same page...just took way longer than it should tho

8 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

it does seem stupid it took the summit people so long to take und...we instantly make the league more stable, respectable, and competitive...not to sound cocky but we instantly bc the big dog/ top dog in the league

Lol, so bringing in a Hockey school instantly makes them the new top dog in the Summit? Better than SDSU, a basketball school, with national success in the woman's program and national championships on the men's side in D2 along with four appearances in the NCAA tournament? Better than NDSU who has been 3 times to the NCAA's and is the only current Summit program to have one a game there? Sioux fans never cease to amaze me with their arrogance. 

• Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

Lol, so bringing in a Hockey school instantly makes them the new top dog in the Summit? Better than SDSU, a basketball school, with national success in the woman's program and national championships on the men's side in D2 along with four appearances in the NCAA tournament? Better than NDSU who has been 3 times to the NCAA's and is the only current Summit program to have one a game there? Sioux fans never cease to amaze me with their arrogance. 

How many bizons have been exclaiming for years that a hockey school will never go dancing ever.  Talk about bizon arrogance.

• Upvote 2

Just written on egriz.com

Please, North Dakota, as you join the ranks of Boise State, Nevada, CS-Northridge and Gonzaga as a former conference champion who ultimately exited the Big Sky ...take the Griz with you to the Summit Conference. A new affiliation there, or anywhere else, would have to be an improvement for both parties.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

When those teams have to go through UND it'll all change...#arrogantproud

26 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

So bringing in a football school instantly makes them the new top dog in the Summit? I am sure people of the Summit League said that about NDSU. Its not being arrogant to believe you can conquer a new conference, we proved it, you have proved it. So why not? Difference is we are saying it on our board, why don't you bring this up on Bisonville so your buddies can cheer you on and you don't look like a troll. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bison101 said:

I forgot you one one.  

UND got more fans to Reno than NDSU had in Sioux Falls

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Meh. Yes more stable, having a "flagship" school helps I'm sure, and yeah it should help with competition.  

Top dog? That's bold.  We will see what happens though!