SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

12 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Both are clearly ahead in Men's basketball. UND has zero NCAA appearances.

3 appearances each.  1-6 tourney record... We're not exactly talking about the "blue bloods" of NCAA basketball history.  UND basketball will compete just fine w/ ndsu, SDSU & USD in the Summit.

7 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

BTW - SDSU is also ahead in football - 3 FCS playoffs wins...UND, again zero.

SDSU got a little head-start with the earlier move-up.  UND will again compete just fine with SDSU & all others in the MVFC.  Historically, UND has owned the SD schools in the NCC during head-to-head competition & playoff success.  We'll be okay, trust me.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Westside said:

3 appearances each.  1-6 tourney record... We're not exactly talking about the "blue bloods" of NCAA basketball history.  UND basketball will compete just fine w/ ndsu, SDSU & USD in the Summit.

SDSU got a little head-start with the earlier move-up.  UND will again compete just fine with SDSU & all others in the MVFC.  Historically, UND has owned the SD schools in the NCC during head-to-head competition & playoff success.  We'll be okay, trust me.

Making the big dance is a big deal, whether you're a blue blood or not.

It's fine to say that UND will catch up is fine. Nevertheless, UND is at the moment behind. What happened in DII is also nice, but it's not relevant to the question. 

1 minute ago, Gothmog said:

Making the big dance is a big deal, whether you're a blue blood or not.

It's fine to say that UND will catch up is fine. Nevertheless, UND is at the moment behind. What happened in DII is also nice, but it's not relevant to the question. 

I didn't say making the big dance is not a bid deal... I said they each have 3 appearances. Not at all impossible for UND to "catch up" to... We're not chasing Kentucky, Kansas & UCLA.

UND was #7 in 2016 FCS Playoff seedings, SDSU was #8... how are we behind???

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In regards to Division 1 success, NDSU and SDSU are currently ahead of UND in football and mens basketball.  Suggesting otherwise is just ignoring the facts.  

Head to head results are pretty telling for me this year.  I could care less about what happened when UND was in the Great West.  

49 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In regards to Division 1 success, NDSU and SDSU are currently ahead of UND in football and mens basketball.  Suggesting otherwise is just ignoring the facts.  

Yea we got destroyed by the Bison in Fargo this year.  Our basketball team is going to be the bottom of the Summit for years and get crushed by SDSU and NDSU every year. /s

24 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Yea we got destroyed by the Bison in Fargo this year.  Our basketball team is going to be the bottom of the Summit for years and get crushed by SDSU and NDSU every year. /s

Did I say that the trend was going to continue forever??  We were talking about right now as we stand.  Obviously UND can achieve what NDSU and SDSU have accomplished in both MBB and FB.  But until we at least win a playoff FB game or make the NCAA tournament in basketball, they will have accomplished more.   

1 hour ago, Westside said:

I didn't say making the big dance is not a bid deal... I said they each have 3 appearances. Not at all impossible for UND to "catch up" to... We're not chasing Kentucky, Kansas & UCLA.

UND was #7 in 2016 FCS Playoff seedings, SDSU was #8... how are we behind???

#7 was a joke.  Weak BSC this year and maybe next.  Beat someone good and show everyone that you're good, instead of always just talking about it.

• Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

#7 was a joke.  Weak BSC this year and maybe next.  Beat someone good and show everyone that you're good, instead of always just talking about it.

And the MVFC champ got rolled by one of those weak Big Sky teams not to mention went 4-3 as a conference against the MVFC. But we've hashed that over enough times already.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Did I say that the trend was going to continue forever??  We were talking about right now as we stand.  Obviously UND can achieve what NDSU and SDSU have accomplished in both MBB and FB.  But until we at least win a playoff FB game or make the NCAA tournament in basketball, they will have accomplished more.   

Accomplishing what NDSU has in Football is a very tall order. No one else has ever done it. It's certainly not obvious that UND can.

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I don't recall if there was an official statement.  Just remember saying they weren't bringing it to Fargo in 2015.  I thought the bigger excuse was because it was a non-conference game, but I could be wrong.

“That needs to be historic,” Faison said of the Nickel Trophy. “We’ll recognize it appropriately. Moving forward, that won’t be part of the new series.”

Faison said the Nickel Trophy will be retired and likely displayed somewhere on campus.

http://www.inforum.com/content/no-nickel-trophy-wont-be-part-renewed-und-ndsu-rivalry

4 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Accomplishing what NDSU has in Football is a very tall order. No one else has ever done it. It's certainly not obvious that UND can.

Agreed, in terms of winning 5 consecutive championship. That is a very tall order. Nothing is impossible, but for another team to win 5 straight is improbable.

In terms of competing at the same caliber as NDSU? Winning 1 or more championships (not necessarily consecutively)? Being a perennially strong teams? Absolutely it can happen. UND has take the first steps in turning around a broken program and making them relevant again. Now they need to string together some consistency, and have strong showings year after year. They need to make that first run within the playoffs.

Try to remember way back like 6 or 7 years ago, and look at NDSU's program. They were very good, but not great! They were not a perennial power yet (Though I maintain they got screwed against E. Washington in Cheney). But what did they do? They took a good team, and turned it into a better team, and turned that team into a perennial power and championship team.

UND can absolutely do the same thing. Though we have the challenge of recruiting in a region with NDSU (and lets face it SDSU has certainly done well too). NDSU has proved that being in a cold northern region really isn't a factor.

UND has done a nice job of adding to their facilities with the IPF. Still not the biggest fan of the Alerus, but it is far better than a good chunk of the FCS stadiums out there.

Will the fan base every compete with NDSU or Montana, probably not. Can it be maximized to the potential of the region? Absolutely! We saw a big improvement this year, and IF UND keeps winning, the fan base WILL increase. That is just how it works. Again, look back to NDSU about 6 or 7 years ago? Still had good crowds, but NDSU is a constant sellout and tailgating has pretty much doubled in that time, which is saying something, because tailgating was already pretty good in Fargo.

Overall, it is absolutely not a stretch to say that UND is on a path to become a perennial contender. I'm not saying that is a guarantee, or that it will or will not happen. I am saying it is completely feasible, if Bubba and Co. can continue on the path they are on.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

“That needs to be historic,” Faison said of the Nickel Trophy. “We’ll recognize it appropriately. Moving forward, that won’t be part of the new series.”

Faison said the Nickel Trophy will be retired and likely displayed somewhere on campus.

http://www.inforum.com/content/no-nickel-trophy-wont-be-part-renewed-und-ndsu-rivalry

Dumb, the two teams (as in the groups of players) should get together and get a replica of the Nickel. Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Just something that they bring and exchange anyway (despite whatever PC trophy the schools come up with).

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Well Danny boy, the playoff committee certainly respected UND's resume & body of work over your BFF SDSU to put them each at the #7 & #8 spots. 

One could say the #1 ranking was a joke as well... JMU sure proved that. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Westside said:

Well Danny boy, the playoff committee certainly respected UND's resume & body of work over your BFF SDSU to put them each at the #7 & #8 spots. 

One could say the #1 ranking was a joke as well... JMU sure proved that. 

Somebody needs to get the burn squad in here! Call the Waaaambulance! Hahaha

4 hours ago, Gothmog said:

Funny, US News has UND, USD, and SDSU tied for 4th place on that list @ #202. NDSU is at #188. I don't personally put much stock in those ratings, but c'mon saying it ain't close is simply not true.

In Athletics you are also clearly behind both SDSU and NDSU.

name one thing at the "small 3" that you are the best in the USA or world...atheletically or academically?  name one?

17 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

name one thing at the "small 3" that you are the best in the USA or world...atheletically or academically?  name one?

Here an quote from a a Letter to The Herald by former Chester Fritz Distinguished Professor at UND, Dr. Michael Anderegg. It's old (2001), but I think it sums up your attitude and the current attitude of many UND supporters well:

"Ever since arriving at UND some 28 years ago, I have heard much talk about the excellence of UND as an educational institution. Much of this talk was naïve and ill-informed, based on little more than wishful thinking..." 

Your suggestion that UND is much better than its regional competitors (I believe you used the phrase "it ain't even close") is exactly the sort of talk  Dr. Anderegg referred to as "naïve and ill-informed" 16 years ago. Some things never change.

BTW - Do some research into NDSU's Department of Coatings and Polymeric Materials.

Just now, Gothmog said:

Here an quote from a a Letter to The Herald by former Chester Fritz Distinguished Professor at UND, Dr. Michael Anderegg. It's old (2001), but I think it sums up your attitude and the current attitude of many UND supporters well:

"Ever since arriving at UND some 28 years ago, I have heard much talk about the excellence of UND as an educational institution. Much of this talk was naïve and ill-informed, based on little more than wishful thinking..." 

Your suggestion that UND is much better than its regional competitors (I believe you use the phrase "it ain't even close") is exactly the sort of talk  Dr. Anderegg referred to as "naïve and ill-informed" 16 years ago. Some things never change.

BTW - Do some research into NDSU's Department of Coatings and Polymeric Materials.

BTW - Do some research on our Aviation department.   Round and round we go.......

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

BTW - Do some research on our Aviation department.   Round and round we go.......

I don't need to do any research on your aviation department. I already know its reputation. My point isn't that UND isn't a very fine school, or even that NDSU is better than UND, or USD, or SDSU. My point is that the statement that "it ain't close" is wrong.

Ok, I think we've seen enough of the North Dakota school's pissing match. Neither school is Harvard in academics, and neither school is Alabama in football. Doesn't really matter. You can attend either school and walk away with a strong education and a find a great career. 

So anyway, I think this thread had to do with a conference change at one point. How about them apples ....

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Ok, I think we've seen enough of the North Dakota school's pissing match. Neither school is Harvard in academics, and neither school is Alabama in football. Doesn't really matter. You can attend either school and walk away with a strong education and a find a great career. 

So anyway, I think this thread had to do with a conference change at one point. How about them apples ....

Agreed