SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

Just now, Gothmog said:

You have to understand how much things have changed in the MVFC in the last few years. The rise of NDSU and, to a lesser extent. SDSU has completely shifted the power structure of the conference. Those dreaded trips to the Dakotas don't seem so bad now.

They haven't gotten any cheaper. 

I am going to go ahead and speculate that this means UND is possibly bringing back baseball.  The Summit wants 10 basketball schools, but what they need is another baseball school as a cushion to protect the autobid for basketball in case of a defection since they are at the bare minimum required.

So after all the budgetary turmoil of the last year, we are going to end up right where we started with 21 sports in a big fat bloated athletic department.  That big fat bloated athletic department is going to chew through the travel savings that the SumValley can offer within 5 years and we will be right back to toeing the line.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wonder if this is Breciani having to show he's a team player on Team ND.

This also wouldn't have reached this point unless Patti V already knows what the likely result of a vote of the presidents will be. Do you remember her comment about "the presidents" not allowing her to discuss membership? It's likely that this has already been discussed with all the presidents in the conference, and that all of them at least approved the negotiations.

21 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I am going to go ahead and speculate that this means UND is possibly bringing back baseball.  The Summit wants 10 basketball schools, but what they need is another baseball school as a cushion to protect the autobid for basketball in case of a defection since they are at the bare minimum required.

So after all the budgetary turmoil of the last year, we are going to end up right where we started with 21 sports in a big fat bloated athletic department.  That big fat bloated athletic department is going to chew through the travel savings that the SumValley can offer within 5 years and we will be right back to toeing the line.

i agree.  this whole process of tightening up the budget turned into an effort to save sports, not money.   And inevitably the costs associated with the non revenue sports will continue to climb and like you say, in a few years we'll be back to looking at, why in the world do we support 21 bleeping sports??   If there was some leadership and a serious effort to be fiscally responsible going on, there would have been some sports cut in addition to looking into the mvfc/summit possibilty.           

• Upvote 2

I'm actually surprised that the MVFC is in play for UND.  Just because of what was stated in the past of the MVFC not going to 11.  Thought the Summit was more of a sure thing. 

So does that mean that the Big Sky/Summit approach to the problem is dead in the water?  (Big Sky doesn't want another affiliate for football, so its all or nothing?)

All in all it doesn't matter to me where UND plays. If it goes down, I'll look forward to a yearly pilgrimage to Sioux Falls with my family. (even if they are Jackrabbit fans/alum, but hey nobody's perfect :p)

54 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm actually surprised that the MVFC is in play for UND.  Just because of what was stated in the past of the MVFC not going to 11.  Thought the Summit was more of a sure thing. 

So does that mean that the Big Sky/Summit approach to the problem is dead in the water?  (Big Sky doesn't want another affiliate for football, so its all or nothing?)

All in all it doesn't matter to me where UND plays. If it goes down, I'll look forward to a yearly pilgrimage to Sioux Falls with my family. (even if they are Jackrabbit fans/alum, but hey nobody's perfect :p)

Agree that this might be an issue for the BSC.

sad day for UND, imho, but guess it must make sense on some level

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree with moving to the MVFC/Summit, but I also would like to see a couple sports cut for practical financial purposes. The folks at UND just couldn't embrace the fact that cutting sports is a necessary evil per the situation; it's never easy. Still, with that, we have a hypocritical community that loves all the sports teams theoretically but will never actually attend any of the events in person

NAILED IT

• Upvote 1

I could sent a text message to the Big 12 commish.  Does that mean in Miller's eyes that I have been communicating with the Big 12 if there is no evidence of a return text?  Show a return text, and then maybe I'll believe.  

Bresciani votes on MVFC membership issues.  File a FOIA on him.  He and Taylor have wanted to screw UND football forever.  A vote in favor of UND to the MVFC is nearly impossible.  Why would the MVFC want 11 teams?  E Ill is not wanted.  Nor are SEMO St, Murray St, Lindenwood  Mankato, or Grand Valley St to make 12.

23 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Going to be a lot tougher to follow away games when Summit doesn't have something like watchbigsky.  SDSU wanted to charge me $8 to watch the volleyball match earlier this year.  I believe NDSU was about the same.  And traveling to away games isn't a good enough reason, because that affects such a small part of the fan base.  BTW we had a great contingent in Greeley. Yes I think home attendance would go up, but not as much as some are thinking.  It would be minimal.

One benefit of a move would be that NCAA's are easier to get to as there are less teams fighting for a spot.

Too much focus on just football. There is enough bids to go around.  The scarier thing is does this mean our volleyball and basketball programs couldn't qualify for NCAA while we transition?

Lets say someone is leaving the Missouri Valley.  the SU's would leave the Summit in a heartbeat to get fully into that conference and we'd be right back to where we started except with absolutely zero names to play.

Do our teams bus a lot more? If I was a recruit flying seems like a much better perk.

I want to stay in the Big Sky.

MVFC has all games on ESPN 3 which is better than Eversport.  Not sure if the Summit had the same deal though?

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

UND baseball is one solution, but so is Summit League football.  Perhaps the five Summit schools invite Poly and UC-Davis to form a 7 team league.  That also gets the Big Sky down to 11 (with Idaho's impending arrival) leaving the door open for New Mexico St.  Would give a lot of options for non-conference games between big sky and Summit schools, and the MVFC teams would have non-conference openings as well.

If Miami and Western Michigan were to depart the NCHC, even hockey sponsorship could come in to play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

Willy town, but makes all (most?) of the home football games.

Yes.  I missed the USD game due to a funeral. I also have hockey season tickets, but my % attendance isn't as great there.  

And for the record, I was in favor of summit/big sky football affiliate. I've never traveled for an away game outside of hockey and football (except for the first 'SU bball game). I would have gone to men's bbball if we would have made the tournament Huff's senior year. 

54 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I could sent a text message to the Big 12 commish.  Does that mean in Miller's eyes that I have been communicating with the Big 12 if there is no evidence of a return text?  Show a return text, and then maybe I'll believe.  

Bresciani votes on MVFC membership issues.  File a FOIA on him.  He and Taylor have wanted to screw UND football forever.  A vote in favor of UND to the MVFC is nearly impossible.  Why would the MVFC want 11 teams?  E Ill is not wanted.  Nor are SEMO St, Murray St, Lindenwood  Mankato, or Grand Valley St to make 12.

Oral Roberts is a private school and they are again in the Summit so Bresciani would have the same cover Taylor had with regard to Summit League meeting minutes

31 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Oral Roberts is a private school and they are again in the Summit so Bresciani would have the same cover Taylor had with regard to Summit League meeting minutes

There are no private schools in the MVFC and it is not part of the MVC officially.  Why would the MVFC move to 11 SCHOOLS?  Headaches in scheduling ABOUND?  NDSU's vote can't hide behind private schools.

Don't think there is any question that we'd be welcomed by the Slummit.  Maybe they ask us to bring baseball back.  But we'do get in if we asked.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

The article cited a return text from Douple to Faison indicating an upcoming conversation with the Big Sky commissioner.

This news helps explain, to me anyways, why the WIU AD was on Fargo radio two weeks ago publicly fawning over the idea of UND being in the Summit.