SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to Summit/MVFC

UND92,96

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

So can someone translate the timeline for me?  It says Big Sky would honor football schedules through 2019, but we would not be eligible for conference titles.  Does that mean we could potentially not be allowed to receive the auto bid for two years?

Can UND transition seemlessly without interuption to playoff football?

11 hours ago, ericpnelson said:

I'd be OK with summit. I much prefer Big Sky football though

Well of course you do. I believe you live in Colorado so you get to see a game or two in the Big Sky. I'm just going to guess other than football you've never traveled to Greeley for basketball, volleyball etc.  It's the same reason this would be a good move. More people getting to away games. 

6 hours ago, darell1976 said:

2019 UND at NDSU

2020 NDSU at UND? 

If we are in the same conference the excuse of not coming up to Grand Forks will end unless they bolt for the FBS.

Let them try go FBS. They'll come back and have to rebuild again. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FargoBison said:

I can try but I don't get why people are upset. This conference combo is an ideal fit, your school will save money and in the process join a better league. The Big Sky is a nice football league but I don't see the appeal for other sports. 

I don't either. I'm good with stying in the big sky and I'm good with playing in the MVFC and Summit. They both have some ups and downs. Seeing as fans don't get a say on this I think we just let it play out, see what happens and cheer on the teams regardless.

53 minutes ago, bang said:

Well of course you do. I believe you live in Colorado so you get to see a game or two in the Big Sky. I'm just going to guess other than football you've never traveled to Greeley for basketball, volleyball etc.  It's the same reason this would be a good move. More people getting to away games. 

He said a few posts later he lives in North Dakota.  

I disagree that this move is going to result in a flood of UND fans at road games.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Would this also mean all games would be on espn for football? cuz that would be sweet. Roku espn app > eversports

Yes, both the MVFC and Summit have ESPN3 deals. So all the football games will be on ESPN3 and most of the basketball games. 

A lot of games also on Midco as well for basketball. 

22 minutes ago, Stromer said:

And outside of NDSU, we shouldn't count on any increase of visting fans from the Summit/MVFC traveling to Grand Forks either. South Dakota brought a pathetic crowd to the Potato Bowl this year. Montana/Montana State bring 4x the amount of visiting fans.

SDSU travels significantly better than USD. I think UNI travels better than USD, at least for games at the Fargodome. 

It strikes me funny that the MVFC is all of a sudden interested in adding UND.  It makes me think that they might be speculating  Youngstown, Western Illinois or  someone else might be thinking seriously about leaving the conference.   I have always heard that Youngstown might want out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dagger said:

It strikes me funny that the MVFC is all of a sudden interested in adding UND.  It makes me think that they might be speculating  Youngstown, Western Illinois or  someone else might be thinking seriously about leaving the conference.   I have always heard that Youngstown might want out.

There is some talk about Western Illinois dropping football. With that adding UND will give an even number to some of travel partner schools. 

14 hours ago, jdub27 said:

AD's don't go rogue and go deep into conversations with other conferences or buy-out clauses with their current conference without the sign-off of the President.

Exactly! There's no way it reaches this point without proper approval from the president of the university. Conference officials simply wouldn't discuss exit and entrance terms without it. That doesn't necessarily mean the deal is done, but it's gotta be damn close.

15 minutes ago, Dagger said:

You have to understand how much things have changed in the MVFC in the last few years. The rise of NDSU and, to a lesser extent. SDSU has completely shifted the power structure of the conference. Those dreaded trips to the Dakotas don't seem so bad now.

2 minutes ago, bang said:

There is some talk about Western Illinois dropping football. With that adding UND will give an even number to some of travel partner schools. 

Football is the one that strikes me as odd.  Western Illinois dropping football would be ideal for the MVFC as it would allow all schools to play each other.  They do not currently.  Something could be going on  

Reading posts on other boards from Bison fans they like to say the MVFC/Summit are bailing out UND.  In actuality could it be the other way around and the MVFC is in need of another team and it is mutually beneficial or the MVFC has a need for UND?  I can't see the eastern schools suddenly being on board to adding another Dakota school.