SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

petey23

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Many of the teams above us will lose a game before the playoffs start, as their not immune to upsets.  UND needs to keep winning.  If UND had beaten Stony Brook or BGSU, we'd be in the top 10, but that doesn't guarantee anything.  Just win baby!

One more loss wouldn't do much, a few of these teams would need 2 loses for the Committee to seed UND.  Remember where the new kid on the block, 0 experience in Div I playoffs. Therefor no respect from the Committee.  We can't loose either.

7 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

One more loss wouldn't do much, a few of these teams would need 2 loses for the Committee to seed UND.  Remember where the new kid on the block, 0 experience in Div I playoffs. Therefor no respect from the Committee.  We can't loose either.

I disagree because 8 wins gets us in. I would love to hear the reasoning from the committee on why an 8 D1 win Big Sky team is left behind. 

I am with ya though, would be nice to just win out. 

On 11/3/2016 at 10:55 AM, mj23 said:

I can't help understanding the logic with EW at 1 and NDSU at 3.  Who are the drunks that came up with that?

Are you Jeremy Jorgenson? This is about as tactful as he was talking to the head of the playoff committee today. I'll sum it up for anyone who doesn't want to bother to listen: 25 minutes of constant whining about some preliminary polls that were put out to generate discussion. I feel bad for the guy coming on to try to discuss it and he did his best to address questions but his answers weren't going to satisfy the radio hosts regardless of what they said (because obviously NDSU wasn't high enough). Oh and the MVFC is super duper tough (literally mentioned by JJ 3x in 15 seconds) and the Big Sky has an unbalanced schedule.

Do I agree with all of the rankings? Probably not. Am I going to flip out, start sending tweets to the guy and claim conspiracy over a preliminary poll. Absolutely not. Win and everything takes care of itself.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Are you Jeremy Jorgenson? This is about as tactful as he was talking to the head of the playoff committee today. I'll sum it up for anyone who doesn't want to bother to listen: 25 minutes of constant whining about some preliminary polls that were put out to generate discussion. I feel bad for the guy coming on to try to discuss it and he did his best to address questions but his answers weren't going to satisfy the radio hosts regardless of what they said (because obviously NDSU wasn't high enough). Oh and the MVFC is super duper tough (literally mentioned by JJ 3x in 15 seconds) and the Big Sky has an unbalanced schedule.

Do I agree with all of the rankings? Probably not. Am I going to flip out, start sending tweets to the guy and claim conspiracy over a preliminary poll. Absolutely not. Win and everything takes care of itself.

Not exactly.  If the top 4 win out, we are still left scratching our heads about the ranking criteria this year vs last year as it is obvious SOS matters significantly less this year than last.

And if that is the case, scheduling ndsu OOC isn't worth the risk.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Not exactly.  If the top 4 win out, we are still left scratching our heads about the ranking criteria this year vs last year as it is obvious SOS matters significantly less this year than last.

Let's not forget, UND lost two games this season that they should've won. Stony Brook - although winning games this season - is a middle of the road FCS team that UND had cornered until UND shot themselves in the foot with the blocked punt. Also, Bowling Green is a horrible FBS team this season; UND needed to win that game. 

This 7-game winning streak is impressive, but UND would be top 10 if they had been better prepared to play good ball to start the season. Whether we like to admit it or not, Bubba failed to have his team ready to play to start the season and it will likely cost UND a seed even if they win out in conference. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Except for recruiting purposes and fan perception.  Little things.  

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Let's not forget, UND lost two games this season that they should've won. Stony Brook - although winning games this season - is a middle of the road FCS team that UND had cornered until UND shot themselves in the foot with the blocked punt. Also, Bowling Green is a horrible FBS team this season; UND needed to win that game. 

This 7-game winning streak is impressive, but UND would be top 10 if they had been better prepared to play good ball to start the season. Whether we like to admit it or not, Bubba failed to have his team ready to play to start the season and it will likely cost UND a seed even if they win out in conference. 

He didn't prepare for Clive to snap his leg and change the entire complexion of the offense. Poor coaching indeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

He didn't prepare for Clive to snap his leg and change the entire complexion of the offense. Poor coaching indeed.

Clive isn't the be all, end all. Get over it. Was Clive supposed to block on the punt team vs SB? Was Clive supposed to play deep thirds in cover 3 versus Bowling Green? The last time I checked football is the ultimate team game. You're a bit too obsessive with individual parts. Then again, your lack of constructive criticism extends back to the Mussman days so I'm not too surprised. Next man up.

The team is on a 7-game winning streak and doing well. I'm beyond happy for that.   As Bubba says, though, there is always room for improvement. The team absolutely cannot be satisfied with the status quo. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Clive isn't the be all, end all. Get over it. Was Clive supposed to block on the punt team vs SB? Was Clive supposed to play deep thirds in cover 3 versus Bowling Green? The last time I checked football is the ultimate team game. You're a bit too obsessive with individual parts. Then again, your lack of constructive criticism extends back to the Mussman days so I'm not too surprised. Next man up.

The team is on a 7-game winning streak and doing well. I'm beyond happy for that.   As Bubba says, though, there is always room for improvement. The team absolutely cannot be satisfied with the status quo. 

Little harsh for a saturday morning. Go back to bed and relax.

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Valid points!  But I've seen nothing from the team or the coaches to suggest they are satisfied with their performances of late, despite the fact they've resulted in Ws.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Perhaps it's because I understand how things work on a football team. Pretty tough to do next man up when you have only one of the type of player who gets injured. We all saw what happened to the offense when Clive came back last year and that was no coincidence. I guess indigured it was obvious.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We have no one at WR with his talents.  Tough to just "next man up" that spot.  

No one on the team is making excuses though and they have won 7 straight. 

6 minutes ago, homer said:

We have no one at WR with his talents.  Tough to just "next man up" that spot.  

No one on the team is making excuses though and they have won 7 straight. 

Sure, this team needs more speed at all spots. That is an obvious need in recruiting moving forward. With that said, I am very impressed with the quick maturation and abilities of Travis Toivonen and Noah Wanzek (hint: next man up). UND will have 3 more years with these local kids after this season; that is tremendous for the receiver position moving forward. Both of those freshmen took full opportunity of the situation. 

17 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sure, this team needs more speed at all spots. That is an obvious need in recruiting moving forward. With that said, I am very impressed with the quick maturation and abilities of Travis Toivonen and Noah Wanzek (hint: next man up). UND will have 3 more years with these local kids after this season; that is tremendous for the receiver position moving forward. Both of those freshmen took full opportunity of the situation. 

They've been great, however, how many times has our offense been able to go over the top? The answer is 0 and that's why the run game struggles at times. We can live without Clive and win without him but with him we would be much better. Can't replace the deep ball element he brought to us which stretched out defense and opened up the running game.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Also don't forget that they won two games they probably shouldn't have- USD and MSU. I think no matter how you slice it, UND starts the season 2-2. It just wasn't the two wins two losses we were expecting. 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They've been great, however, how many times has our offense been able to go over the top? The answer is 0 and that's why the run game struggles at times. We can live without Clive and win without him but with him we would be much better. Can't replace the deep ball element he brought to us which stretched out defense and opened up the running game.

So why not come up with a couple of plays and formations with Santiago lined up as a receiver. He has the speed and we have the RB depth to allow it. Even as a decoy it at least forces the D to think.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

So why not come up with a couple of plays and formations with Santiago lined up as a receiver. He has the speed and we have the RB depth to allow it. Even as a decoy it at least forces the D to think.  

Because then he's not in the backfield. That's why Clive was important. With him out wide and John in the backfield the defense had a catch 22 every single play. It's was a nightmare for other teams as was evident by the scoreboard late last year.

Must be something in the Fargo media water. Dom and Calilou had the committee chair on this morning and continued the whine-fest. They asked him if he was hearing uproars about the prelim rankings from across the country or just pockets. The response was "very isolated pockets".

After he was done, they went into a diatribe about the release and how compared to the FBS process, it is such a joke. Here's a hint, it isn't the same. Accept it for what it is and get over it. The process for the initial release was explained but apparently that isn't good enough. He stated this was preliminary, they haven't met and discussed anything in depth. If you want to argue it was pointless to release it at this point, I have no issue with that. They were trying to be transparent and create discussion. Guessing this is roughly what they do at this time every year, they just made it public this time. Take it for what it is worth and move on. However, instead of doing that, the Fargo media specifically stated on the air that NDSU is ranked where they are because people are tired of them. Not because they lost a home game, have won 2 more in overtime and by admittance of their own fans, haven't been playing all that great and aren't exactly blowing teams out (though admittedly keep winning tough games which is impressive). No, instead they openly stated that the rankings were a conspiracy against NDSU. It is nice to have media that care about FCS but take off your cheerleading outfit when you're pretending to be objective.

How good is UND? Much improved. A top ten team - that would be a stretch but that is only because I don't know the other teams talent level. Our starting QB has been good but hit and miss. Our depth at QB is very suspect. Our special teams are suspect. Our defense is awesome but we are capable of giving up 40-50 points in a game. We are good and Bubba has done a great job. I don't know but it seams like we are almost there but not quite yet. Love our team and love what has happened this year. Win the national championship - doubtful. Give somebody a scare - certainly.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Because then he's not in the backfield. That's why Clive was important. With him out wide and John in the backfield the defense had a catch 22 every single play. It's was a nightmare for other teams as was evident by the scoreboard late last year.

But oliveira or gordon is and they are still threats to be respected