SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Season

MafiaMan

22 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Well, now what? Should be an easy decision come Monday right?

As dumb as this sounds WH still has a better chance of winning a NC than any other program up for discussion of being cut.  Change the leadership of the program and you will see better results.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Just to clarify for everyone, I'm talking about Idalski not the program itself

Yes, but it will be interesting to see what happens if they don't make a decision on Idalski on Monday, given that his contract runs out this year. That would suggest they are waiting to see if the program is cut before they decide to bring him back or hire someone else.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Ok. I'm all for a new coach. But who replaces him?

The twins are focusing on the Olympic and Commodore probably isn't/has no experience and Shannon Miller is shrouded with controversy. Is there an assistant we can snipe from Minnesota or Wisconsin?

No on the twins.

1 hour ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Ok. I'm all for a new coach. But who replaces him?

The twins are focusing on the Olympic and Commodore probably isn't/has no experience and Shannon Miller is shrouded with controversy. Is there an assistant we can snipe from Minnesota or Wisconsin?

Yeah, would think you would want someone that has knowledge and ties to the recruiting circles in women's hockey.  Need someone who can exhibit some passion for getting the program to the next level.

I like Idalski, but perhaps it would be good to bring in some new blood. You just get the feeling that we are stagnant right now with the program. I truly believe the job is one of the Lamoureux twins when they are ready. 

• Upvote 1

Can Steve Johnson coach women? 

Now, before you jump all over me, yes, Steve Johnson (as in former Lincoln Stars coach, Luke's dad) can coach. I believe he's back living in Grand Forks. 

But can he coach women? And yes, coaching women is very different than coaching men. I don't mean skills, I mean connecting to them and understanding communications and motivation. 

And before you slay me for that, I'm looking at a women's national championship team coach who is telling me this. 

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Can Steve Johnson coach women? 

Now, before you jump all over me, yes, Steve Johnson (as in former Lincoln Stars coach, Luke's dad) can coach. I believe he's back living in Grand Forks. 

But can he coach women? And yes, coaching women is very different than coaching men. I don't mean skills, I mean connecting to them and understanding communications and motivation. 

And before you slay me for that, I'm looking at a women's national championship team coach who is telling me this. 

I think you are referring to Mark Johnson? Who coached the Badger women's team for awhile? I remember reading comments he made about how different it is to coach men vs. women.

Here are the comments I was thinking of:

http://host.madison.com/sports/olympics/u-s-women-s-hockey-mark-johnson-a-coach-who/article_ab0ffe42-191e-11df-ac8d-001cc4c002e0.html

Johnson, who coached males at the high school (Madison Memorial and Verona), college (UW men) and minor-league pro (Madison Monsters) levels between 1993 and '02, prepared for his new role by reading the best-seller "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" to better understand the transition. He also consulted with coaches who went before him on this path, including Ben Smith, who went from running the men's program at Northeastern to coaching Team USA to the first Olympic gold medal in women's hockey in 1998.

Johnson likes to tell the story about how one of his earliest declarations turned to rubble. "There's no crying in hockey," he said, only to see tears being shed soon thereafter.

A veteran of 11 seasons in the NHL, where coaches speak and players respond, Johnson soon found his new charges prefer explanations over declarations.

"Women like to know why," (UW Assistant Coach) DeKeyser said, referring to everything from drills to the subtle disparities in the men's and women's hockey budgets at UW.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't blame him. Why nobody will ever give him a chance at a MH coaching job (with its bigger salary and national profile) is puzzling. The man obviously can coach and get results.

He may be a good women's coach, but could be a terrible men's coach.