SiouxSports.com Forum

Poll: Keep or Cut Women's Hockey

bincitysioux

Keep or Cut: Women's Hockey  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Should the University of North Dakota Continue to Sponsor Women's Hockey?

• I Support the Sponsorship of Women's Hockey
    • I Support Eliminating the Women's Hockey Program

55 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Maybe some of you who are talking about "just look at the poor attendance" should start going to some of the games.  I go to probably 10-12 home games a year.  No, it's not the men's game.  But it's an afternoon at the rink, the kids have fun, and it's good hockey. 

Just like pretty much everyone else, I'll pass.

17 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Nobody is doubting they are having fun. Probably the time of their lives, which is good.  Unfortunately UND is trying to shape an athletic department after a budget crisis.

That's not what's being written on this board.  All I'm reading is no one goes.  It's boring hockey.  No one cares.  And I was talking about my kids having fun.  I usually bring them.  And if they want to bring a friend, the more the merrier!   Don't be fooled.  This budget shortfall is a direct result of the unwillingness of those elected officials in Bismarck to change their spending habits.  They insist on spending like the oil money from they early 2010's is still coming in.  And it stinks to High Heaven!  Maybe if some of their programs were cut instead of college athletics, they might change their tune.  Although Big Sky travel expenses are part of the issue as well.  I think.   

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

2015-2016 attendance

Women's hockey              16,143 total home attendance - 16 games - 1,009 per game

Volleyball                          13,562 total home attendance - 14 matches - 969 per match

Women's basketball          24,775 total home attendance - 16 games - 1,548 per game

Soccer                                1,624 total home attendance - 8 games - 203 per game

Softball                                  755 total home attendance - 11 games - 69 per game

How many times did they have drawings for free tuition at VB, WBB, Soccer, and Softball games?

8 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

That's not what's being written on this board.  All I'm reading is no one goes.  It's boring hockey.  No one cares.  And I was talking about my kids having fun.  I usually bring them.  And if they want to bring a friend, the more the merrier!   Don't be fooled.  This budget shortfall is a direct result of the unwillingness of those elected officials in Bismarck to change their spending habits.  They insist on spending like the oil money from they early 2010's is still coming in.  And it stinks to High Heaven!  Maybe if some of their programs were cut instead of college athletics, they might change their tune.  Although Big Sky travel expenses are part of the issue as well.  I think.   

So those elected officials in Bismarck begin cutting spending back to pre-oil levels, which seems to be what you want, and you're upset because it affects UND?  All general funded programs and all oil funded programs are being cut right now.  

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

So those elected officials in Bismarck begin cutting spending back to pre-oil levels, which seems to be what you want, and you're upset because it affects UND?  All general funded programs and all oil funded programs are being cut right now.  

They are?  That's great!  Then we shouldn't need to be discussing which athletic programs, which were in place long before the oil money started coming in, to cut.

I have said it before, I hate the idea of eliminating sports, as it is eliminating opportunities for students. UND has done a great job of making the women's program relevant, and I think a lot of that was due to the Lamoreux girls coming back home.

Purely from a business standpoint, I think eliminating women's hockey would solve a lot of budgeting issues. Not sure what kind of crowd they draw, or how much revenue they generate. 

6 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

Have fun doing what everyone else does.

This topic is kind of going off the rails. My opinion on wanting the sport cut is strictly based on the financial situation the athletic department is currently in and the fact that a couple sports need to go. It wouldn't be cut the sport, just to cut it.

This will probably make me look like the bad guy, but there are only three UND sports I care about. Men's Hockey, Basketball, Football. Outside of those three, whichever other sport has the highest price tag, I'd vote to cut (again, since UND will be cutting sports).

22 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

How many times did they have drawings for free tuition at VB, WBB, Soccer, and Softball games?

And what do they give away to students at football games to get them to attend? The statement was made that no one goes to women's hockey and that you just had to look at the attendance. I posted the attendance numbers for the women's sports that listed it. Hockey has better attendance numbers than volleyball, less than basketball.

9 minutes ago, Boogieman said:

They are?  That's great!  Then we shouldn't need to be discussing which athletic programs, which were in place long before the oil money started coming in, to cut.

Unfortunately, employees and many other things have gotten more expensive since 2007.  Also, the state appears to be committed to maintaining property tax relief, so funding available for many other areas is actually going to be less than it was. That means people and things need to be cut.  And just to clarify, it's not the elected officials in Bismarck demanding UND cut sports, it's UND prioritizing certain sports behind academics and student services, as it probably should.

14 hours ago, MDtoGF said:

I challenge someone to explain why the sport is considered boring and if you use physicality please explain to me how UND minny games are more physical than some mens games and how its ok to cut a sport just cause you dont like it.. some folks in atlantic hockey prefer football yet some of those schools still have hockey

The games are so slow and not as much skill as the men. If I wanted to watch less talented hockey I would go to high school games. Most Bantam A teams could beat women's hockey teams.

you must not watch NHL games if you think women's games are more physical.

i rather watch women's bball or volleyball 1000 times more

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

From spectator's standpoint concerning women's collegiate athletics it is pretty tough to be top end volleyball.

This.  Awesome spectator sport, constant action.  Always thought playing it sucked but liked watching for various reasons.  

3 minutes ago, Old Time Hockey said:

This poll is stupid!  Sorry folks but like it or not we are a hockey school.  We are not known for football, baseball, basketball, etc.!  I know this comment will piss some of you off, but it is what it is.

We are a UND men's hockey school/town.  If it's not the men's team playing, we ( town/school) don't support.  Need evidence?  See high school hockey tourney, world juniors last year, exhibition pro games, and UND women's hockey 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The games are so slow and not as much skill as the men. If I wanted to watch less talented hockey I would go to high school games. Most Bantam A teams could beat women's hockey teams.

you must not watch NHL games if you think women's games are more physical.

i rather watch women's bball or volleyball 1000 times more

This.  The best women's team in the world, the US Olympic team, struggles against boys high school teams.

I am male and will be following women's hockey game tonight.  I wish the coaching staff and players well.  One of the best hockey games I have ever seen was the Women's World Cup Final between US and Canada.  I have been fortunate enough to attend Men's Final 4, Women's Final 4, WCHA Final 5, US Junior "A" Finals, US Junior "B" Finals, Men's World Cup Semi-Finals with Finland and USA, WHL playoffs, and NHL games in Colorado, Chicago, Minnesota, and Winnipeg.  I was at the Holy Cross game, six rows up from where the puck sat in the crease and have saw Jake spike the eye.

I have sat through plenty of men's clutch and grab snooze fests.  I appreciate the differences and enjoy good competitive matches in all sporting events.

Here's how I l would look at it if I were Kennedy.  We currently have 5 revenue sports (M/W basketball, M Hockey, Football, Volleyball).  UND needs to look for ways to increase revenue in these sports through sponsorships, advertising, ticket sales, etc...After that, I'd want to see a complete and accurate financial breakdown of each sport with PROPER allocations of expenses.  From there, I'd look at other mitigating factors such as:  conference requirements, Title IX requirements, quality of facilities (on-campus or not, condition), roster makeup (how many players are local and can we succeed with local athletes), and potential for success (are there inherent roadblocks to success, such as weather or geographic/cultural differences).  In my mind (and this is without looking at the numbers) I'd imagine the sports with the largest target on their backs would be:

1 - Women's Hockey (Title IX is the only thing that saves it, miniscule revenue and high cost even with improper allocations)

2 - Softball (No on-campus game facility, no local athletes, tough to compete with warm weather schools, lots of travel)

3 - Swimming (Aging but adequate facility, some local athletes but many not, higher travel costs)

4 - M/W Tennis (Big Sky core sport, so if a conference move is coming this could be expendable, not a large budget team)

5 - Soccer (On-campus facility that's adequate, access to turf/HPC, core of athletes from Twin Cities)

If UND were to stay in the Big Sky, my thoughts are that Softball and Swimming (maybe just men's) goes down the road to put us at 18 sports.  If UND moves to a Summit/Big Sky combo, I can see it being Swimming/Men's Tennis.  I think UND hurt it's chances at the Summit somewhat by cutting baseball, since the Summit could use core baseball teams.  It'll be interesting to see what shakes out.

If I could have my way, and "tiering" wasn't an issue...I'd axe women's hockey and Men's Swimming/Tennis to make it equal (and I'd cut Faison as well - thanks a lot Kelley!).  I think that would ensure that we don't have to do this again and allow UND a more balanced and competitive athletic department.  I'm sorry for some of you guys that think we need to give everyone an opportunity, but this should have been done the minute we left D2...We need to get out of the mediocre mindset and focus on getting the best bang for our buck!

I support women's hockey at UND, as it could and should be championship caliber.

But think there is a way to cut REA costs and increase REA revenue.  Upgrade the seating in the Olympic Arena to more like the Betty with leather seats.  Play most of the women's games there except the Gophers and Badgers.  That leaves the REA open on more weekends for concerts and maybe an occasional BB game against NDSU or SD teams or even the Gophers.  REA revenue would increase and athletic expenses go down.

Minnie and Wisconsin WHCKY play in much smaller arenas than their men's team.  Why doesn't UND?

The last few years since, have been to several women's hockey games.  Been surprised at the attendance and how much the fans are into it.  Usually a pep band is there, when the valley and bball teams often don't have that.  Without checking, it doesn't seem like hockey, but that just me.  They are some very passionate UND womens hockey fans at the games though, and that is falsely denied here.

• Upvote 1