SiouxSports.com Forum

SHAC vs. Betty

Siouxperfan7

So looking at the near finished SHAC, I have to say that I am a little bit underwhelmed by it.  I knew that they were going to utilize some of the old seats, but mixed with the newer ones, it just looks tacky.  The renderings definitely made it look way better than the final product.  Sure it does seat more than the Betty and has a lot more end seating, I have to say that the Betty is just as nice as the new SHAC.  Especially with the addition of the new video boards. 

Anyone else feel the same way I do?

SHAC.JPG

betty.jpg

Agreed, and that is not to say the SHAC is bad, but maybe a few different pictures of the SHAC would help. I'm also not a big fan of how the new seats blend into the olds, looks a little tacky.

The Betty is a very nice facility, especially with the new video boards. I've never been a fan of the temporary seating behind each end, and wish they could upgrad that to make it a little nicer, but overall, its a pretty great facility. 

DuPont Court at the Scheels Center inside the Sanford Health Athletic Complex. I feel like they forgot to put another sponsor logo on the court to complete the NASCAR look.

Not logistically possible for the Betty to have a center-hung scoreboard due to multi-use, but that is pretty nice looking despite that it looks to be a bit too low in the picture.

Just now, jdub27 said:

I feel like they forgot to put another sponsor logo on the court to complete the NASCAR look. DuPont Court at Scheels Center inside the Sanford Health Athletic Complex.

Not logistically possible for the Betty to have a center-hung scoreboard due to multi-use, but that is pretty nice looking despite that it looks to be a bit too low in the picture.

Where is the banner ring around the top of the scoreboard?

That last picture might start to look like the rendering; however, the wood bleachers over the top of new seating (just to get a capacity number) is something that folks that have to look at it will soon enough come to regret. 

I'm guessing the top of scoreboard ring approaches $350k in cost and is a pretty easy line item to eliminate if costs are getting too high. 

I guess I'll stay with the options UND has:

- under 3500: Betty
- under 6000: Ralph lower bowl
- under 9000: Alerus in BB config
- under 13500: Ralph in BB config 

9 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

From what I understand(seen many complaints on bv) they didn't pull the seating all the way out yet...

Are you saying the new chair-style seating is not fixed but is mobile and can be retracted and stored? In the photos here (admittedly not definitive) it looks like the chair seating is all out. I don't see anything yet to be pulled out further. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Are you saying the new chair-style seating is not fixed but is mobile and can be retracted and stored? 

Not sure if the shack has the same setup, but chair-style seating can be squished together a little.  The Betty does it.

In the pic, the area on the top that looks like bleachers is just concrete.   Actually there are new seats going in there.   They are individual green fold-down seats, but they are not cushioned. The rest of the seating in the arena consists of cushioned seats.  Actually...except for the student section behind one of the baskets, which is bleachers.   

That upper level will be general admission, I'm told.  

24 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Its just unfortunate in my opinion that the Betty wasn't built to seat more like 5,000 or there abouts.  

I think the Betty works at its current capacity.  3300 is what it holds now.  How many times other than games against NDSU in basketball and volleyball has there been a shortage of seats?   End bleachers could be made to be higher to hold more seats if need be.  Would be a good problem to have to deal with!

2 minutes ago, professorbum said:

In the pic, the area on the top that looks like bleachers is just concrete.   Actually there are new seats going in there.   They are individual green fold-down seats, but they are not cushioned. The rest of the seating in the arena consists of cushioned seats.  Actually...except for the student section behind one of the baskets, which is bleachers.   

That will look a lot better.

9 minutes ago, professorbum said:

Oh those FACTS that some are always preaching about around here.

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So looking at the near finished SHAC, I have to say that I am a little bit underwhelmed by it.  I knew that they were going to utilize some of the old seats, but mixed with the newer ones, it just looks tacky.  The renderings definitely made it look way better than the final product.  Sure it does seat more than the Betty and has a lot more end seating, I have to say that the Betty is just as nice as the new SHAC.  Especially with the addition of the new video boards. 

Anyone else feel the same way I do?

SHAC.JPG

Just to tidy up and pull together what others have said...

The section on the top has no seating at the moment. Remember how there was a discussion this summer about keeping some of the old seating for budget reasons? Well, they found the money, but it's taken some extra time to get the new seats since they were ordered later than the rest. The old orange wooden seats were removed a month or so ago, and now they're waiting for the new green seats to arrive. If they're not here now, they will be in a few weeks. That section at the top is where they'll be installed.

There are three types of seats in the SHAC. The south section of the lower bowl is bench seating. This is mostly student seating with one section of reserved. The rest of the lower bowl are padded chairbacks*. I'm not 100% certain about the new upperdeck, but they will likely be unpadded chairbacks(like the Fargodome or Alerus seats).

All the lower sections can get pushed back against the wall(including the triangular sections). This exposes some practice courts. During the open house(where these pictures came from), the wood floor wasn't completed and the lower bowl couldn't be completely pulled out. That will affect the look of things a little. Figure each row is one or two inches from full extension. Altogether, that's a foot or three at the bottom. That's one of the reasons the stands look so far from the court.

Also, notice the row of chairs between the court and the stands. That is the top price seating and I believe it will be two rows deep for games. There are also no team seats or scoring table and press table in this picture. All of that will crowd things in the final product.

The final difference between this photo and the rendering is the camera angle. The photo is taken from the south end of the east stands looking WNW. The rendering is from the SW corner of the court looking NE; basically from where the guy in the yellow shirt is standing on the left side of the photo.

The new SHAC is not a fantastic facility, but it's not bad considering the structural steel of the BSA couldn't be altered for cost reasons. It is what it is. 

*go here to see a close up of the lower seats: http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/5/27/general-sanford-health-athletic-complex-construction-update-may-2016.aspx

Oh, and the scoreboard ring isn't going to be added. The rendering was created not too long after a new scoreboard was added. That's the scoreboard in the rendering. That scoreboard had video panels on two sides and fixed ads on the other two. Fairly late in the plans(late spring/mid summer), they decided to get a new, larger scoreboard with video panels on all four sides.* The ends are square-ish(7'x9') and the sides are rectangular(7'x18'). That's the scoreboard in the picture, covered in plastic wrap. I hope they'll be able to raise it up a little more for games.

Remember that the SHAC is still under construction and much of it isn't in its finished form yet. The only reason they had the open house was because they needed to get the season tickets assigned. Ticket holders were given times to come in based on priority points and choose where they wanted to sit. In a perfect world, that wouldn't have happened until construction was done, but construction is behind schedule and the ticket office had to get that info now.

*http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/6/2/general-daktronics-video-displays-sanford-health-athletic-complex.aspx?path=general

• Upvote 1