SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye-bye Ray

The Sicatoka

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Grand Sky is 217 acres. It will include operations, research, and training. They aren't going to build a 2nd business park for UAS before the first one gets developed and is operational. There is plenty of acreage available around the base if that park needs to be expanded in the future.

Yeah, yet a Dinkytown would be built on Ray Richards, maybe even mixed office buildings.  Grand Sky relies on Emerado's dining scene for a varied lunch menu of Domino's and Subway.  Sounds very appealing to corporate types.

Software development doesn't have to be at Grand Sky, which remains my point.

21 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Yeah, yet a Dinkytown would be built on Ray Richards, maybe even mixed office buildings.  Grand Sky relies on Emerado's dining scene for a varied lunch menu of Domino's and Subway.  Sounds very appealing to corporate types.

Did the Dairy Queen close? 

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Is the Ray Richards course on 80 acres (or maybe 75)?  With undeveloped land on 32nd Ave and 42 St going upwards of $500,000 an acre, sale of golf course could maybe swing $30 mill.  Frontage property on 42nd and Demers will not be cheap, as Grand Forks doesnt have much in the way of developable land left on the major corridors.  This was initiated by Schafer, who put Ray Richards on a review list and knows how to swing a business deal, as does his successor.  

Not a golfer, but would be nice if UND bought property south of the airport from the proceeds and developed a new UAS and Research park along with a golf course.  This might give impetus for East Grand Forks to develop their 9 hole course across from the Lincoln course, which would connect with Lincoln via the pedestrian bridge on the Green Belt.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

You proposed another UAS and Research park near the airport. I pointed out that they are not likely to do that since they are just developing the first UAS park near the AFB and have plenty of space to expand that if needed. They also have plenty of space to expand dining services and choices near Emerado, including building such businesses on the UAS park. They are very likely to expand those services since they are projecting to have up to a couple of thousand people working in the park in a few years, and those people will need a place to eat. You've probably heard of supply and demand.

The last report I heard was that the Dairy Queen in Emerado was for sale if someone wants a good investment opportunity.

A data center practically has to be built west of GF to support UAS operations.  Highly doubt it would be built on the base or in Grand Forks.  Somebody with a data cloud operation, likely either Google or Amazon, will build it on cheaper land.  Software offices an be almost co-located with the data center.  

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

A data center practically has to be built west of GF to support UAS operations.  Highly doubt it would be built on the base or in Grand Forks.  Somebody with a data cloud operation, likely either Google or Amazon, will build it on cheaper land.  Software offices an be almost co-located with the data center.  

Modern software development is rarely co-located with a data center and important data is rarely stored in only one data center.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3Putt said:

Modern software development is rarely co-located with a data center and important data is rarely stored in only one data center.

It's recognized that data centers are normally detached stand alone developments, like in the mountains of North Carolina with alternative power supplies, green power options, low cooling costs, low natural disaster probility, etc.  But nevertheless, with UAVS there are some advantages to having nearby software development, as microseconds or less could make a difference.  Where ever one is located in the GF area, it would require significant investment just to prep the location.  Of course there are backups, as that goes without saying, but they would be half a continent away.

In the last legislative session, laws were changed to help atract a data center for the UAV industry.  Seemed like it was inevitable because of UAVs, and it wouldn't happen without them.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It's recognized that data centers are normally detached stand alone developments, like in the mountains of North Carolina with alternative power supplies, green power options, low cooling costs, low natural disaster probility, etc.  But nevertheless, with UAVS there are some advantages to having nearby software development, as microseconds or less could make a difference.  Where ever one is located in the GF area, it would require significant investment just to prep the location.  Of course there are backups, as that goes without saying, but they would be half a continent away.

In the last legislative session, laws were changed to help atract a data center for the UAV industry.  Seemed like it was inevitable because of UAVs, and it wouldn't happen without them.

5 hours ago, 3Putt said:

There was talk a few years ago, before the UAS development, about building a data center in the Grand Forks area. One of the things they were looking at was locating in a place where they could hook up to both Xcel Energy and Nodak Electric so that they could have back up power in case one system or the other went down.

14 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Regarding the bolded selection, do you mean software development or operations?

1 hour ago, 3Putt said:

Regarding the bolded selection, do you mean software development or operations?

It's more important for operations, but development might be an issue too.

North Dakota and Alaska are the only states that don't have a data center.  Surprising the number that are in office parks.

That's a lot of deferred maintenance costs. I won't hold my breath for anything resembling "dinky town" as there was lots of talk about how the Bronson Property would turn into also. 

What is Dinkytown basically a mini downtown? And I believe the laws states (gf) there has to be so many parking spots per business (dt is grandfathered?) 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

That's a lot of deferred maintenance costs. I won't hold my breath for anything resembling "dinky town" as there was lots of talk about how the Bronson Property would turn into also. 

What is Dinkytown basically a mini downtown? And I believe the laws states (gf) there has to be so many parking spots per business (dt is grandfathered?) 

Lifestyle malls, which don't have a central indoor walkways, are suburban approximations of mini downtowns.   They often have upstairs apartments and condos, so there are people living there.

On Friday, October 07, 2016 at 6:28 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Lifestyle malls, which don't have a central indoor walkways, are suburban approximations of mini downtowns.   They often have upstairs apartments and condos, so there are people living there.

Think I been to a new one of those in the cities few years ago (was it Eagan?)...basically like a "mall" but the walkways are outside (no vehicle traffic)...iirc was a parking ramp across the street.

18 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Think I been to a new one of those in the cities few years ago (was it Eagan?)...basically like a "mall" but the walkways are outside (no vehicle traffic)...iirc was a parking ramp across the street.

They are very popular in southern locations.  Mostly upscale too.  Some have vehicle traffic with limited parking on the inner Avenue.  Grand Forks might be borderline for them, mostly because of too few upper middle class.  It definitely would be different from an outlet mall.  But could be a popular spot for college students to hang out and live.

Could make more sense if office space for UAV companies suddenly comes in demand.

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

They are very popular in southern locations.  Mostly upscale too.  Some have vehicle traffic with limited parking on the inner Avenue.  Grand Forks might be borderline for them, mostly because of too few upper middle class.  It definitely would be different from an outlet mall.  But could be a popular spot for college students to hang out and live.

Could make more sense if office space for UAV companies suddenly comes in demand.

http://www.theshopsatwestend.com/index.php

http://www.flatswestend.com/

Like this.  

44 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Was thinking more like www.easternshorecentre.com near Malbis, AL or Coconut Point Center in Estero, Fl south of Ft Myers. (www.simon.com ).  They are limited to two floors with apartments on top, but both have higher end stores like J Jill, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma, and restaurants and bars etc.  They have adjacent office buildings.

The St Louis Park development is more like new urbanism, which is common in bigger metros with closer built up suburbs.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, johndahl said:

Do we have enough "rich kid" students at UND to support a lifestyle mall-type development?  My initial instinct is no, and that even kids from families with money who are the kind to choose UND aren't typically flashy about it.

What about Canadians?

I think Woodbury Lakes (Woodbury, MN) would be the type of mall that would work best in that location.  https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/woodbury-lakes-woodbury  There probably isn't enough shopping demand for a whole new mall area in GF though.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:07 PM, Cratter said:

Eagan Outlet mall opened about two years ago.  Woodbury also has one that's similar that's been open for a lot longer.  Mentioning "parking rap across the street" probably means it was the Eagan one.  It's only a couple miles south of Mall of America