SiouxSports.com Forum

Diversity Issues on Campus

WiSioux

Under new law passed last year, the students will have the right to an attorney during the disciplinary hearing if the goal of the university is a suspension or expulsion.  So this will not be a quick process if they go that route.  IMO, put the girls through a reeducation camp along with some community service, move them to another dorm, and call it a day (even these measures seem extreme to me, but the U has to do something to quiet the perpetually aggrieved crowd).

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

:blink: That's pure gold right there.

Where do I start.............anti-Christianity, anti-Semitism, anti-conservsitism and anti-Americanism just to name a few ideologies that are engulfing universities across the nation but if you need a prayer room 5 times a day they can accommodate that. If you want a safe zone because some hurt your feelings they can accommodate that. If you are a minority with any issues whatsoever they look into it. Offended by a nickname and logo... no worries we got this covered. Was the "B*tch" Snapchat post an error in judgment...absolutely. If the UND is going to take a stand and tackle that with vigor it needs to address at a minimum the four issues I mentioned to start this post.......and don't put your head in the sand and think those topics are not creeping onto the campus at UND.

How should UND address the anti-conservatism (assuming this is what you meant) and anti-Americanism ideologies creeping onto their campus?

Just now, Awesome said:

How should UND address the anti-conservatism (assuming this is what you meant) and anti-Americanism ideologies creeping onto their campus?

I believe WiSioux said it in his first post.

There is no place in society behavior such as this. The University campus is a place where everyone should feel welcome. What is this world coming to?

You just need to unfortunately do what their parents should have done at some time in their lives and tell some of the SJW's, perpetually offended, and easily triggered to go piss up a rope. If someone is giving a lecture on campus that might "trigger" you, don't go. Pretty simple.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Awesome said:

Sorry for this misspelling but UND could start by getting rid of people like this that are on campus:  www.heidiczerwiec.com 

She was the one in March that was cowering under her desk and called 911 in fear of her safety as an ROCT exercise was taking place on campus. With that said I don't believe she is a professor at UND anymore.............she could not teach curled up in the fetal position all day long in her office after the ROCT incident.

People who claim to not condone this behavior and then go on to explain how it isn't a big deal and it doesn't matter confuse me. Was it appropriate or not? If this is appropriate, what will be appropriate next? The Swastika?

I don't think criminal charges are appropriate here, this should be handled by UND's administration. Discipline the students involved, warn them of future consequences for repeat of said behavior and move on.

I don't think these students should have their lives ruined over one bad decision, but they need to understand that this behavior is not acceptable in society and will likely have harsher consequences once they move in the professional working world.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem with racial humor is that it's a person by person basis as far as if it offends. These girls should know better than to post this to social media because it will offend at least one person and in that case you are screwed. Most of the people on Twitter that are freaking out don't know these girls and can't vouch for their character. They see one picture of them and you can't blame them for freaking out. Don't post this type of stuff for all to see because you leave yourself open to chriticism. Race is a pretty tense issue in this country at the moment. Use your head girls.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

People who claim to not condone this behavior and then go on to explain how it isn't a big deal and it doesn't matter confuse me. Was it appropriate or not? If this is appropriate, what will be appropriate next? The Swastika?

I don't think criminal charges are appropriate here, this should be handled by UND's administration. Discipline the students involved, warn them of future consequences for repeat of said behavior and move on.

I don't think these students should have their lives ruined over one bad decision, but they need to understand that this behavior is not acceptable in society and will likely have harsher consequences once they move in the professional working world.

Believing what they said was dumb and believing what they said isn't worthy of expulsion aren't mutually exclusive.  You seem to come to that conclusion later in your post.

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Wave the flag of ISIS while standing on the steps of the Chester Fritz:  "Hey, that's your RIGHT as an American citizen and you're expressing your freedom of speech on UND's campus.

Hold up a "Trump 2016" sign while standing on the steps of the Chester Fritz:  "This behavior is not acceptable in society and you need to be removed from campus immediately."  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Wave the flag of ISIS while standing on the steps of the Chester Fritz:  "Hey, that's your RIGHT as an American citizen and you're expressing your freedom of speech on UND's campus.

Hold up a "Trump 2016" sign while standing on the steps of the Chester Fritz:  "This behavior is not acceptable in society and you need to be removed from campus immediately."  

The double standard is strong on todays college campuses. The media fans the flames but wonders why their ratings are in the tank.

6 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Trump + build a wall = hate monger

ISIS + Islamic caliphate = religious society of peace

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Please post a link to the story on this. I haven't heard about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Believing what they said was dumb and believing what they said isn't worthy of expulsion aren't mutually exclusive.  You seem to come to that conclusion later in your post.

Some people on social media are clearly having trouble suppressing their pride in what these young women did. They just won't admit it. That is what I was targeting. Not you specifically.

• Downvote 2

We live in a difficult time. People are so easily offended and society as a whole seems to think nobody should be offended. 

Either way, you have to be careful what you are saying and doing. Why fan the flames for no reason? Joke or not, people will always take it out of context, especially when it makes it on to the Internet.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I will call BS on this one.  The first one would cause a lot of angst and the other would barely be noticed.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think this thread highlights the crybaby culture that's taken over conservatism.  You guys basically want to do or say whatever you want with zero repercussions while at the same time enforcing extreme consequences on those who disagree with you (i.e Kaepernick, Oxbow looking to fire the UND instructor).   These girls could have avoided this by simply not being terrible human beings.  As a white male, I've never been labeled a racist or misogynist and I attribute that to the fact that I try not to do racist or misogynistic things.  It's simple as that. 

In this country your largely have the right to say whatever you want and the government can't punish you for it.  If  you're going to use that right to tell offensive jokes that aren't very funny, bully or taunt others, or post racist rants online against people who are different from you then you can't expect others to not use their rights to free speech and free association to condemn or ostracize you.  You can call them hyper sensitive if you want, but really you're the one's who are being overly sensitive.  You're basically starting a fight and then complaining when someone fights back.  You're not 7 years olds any more.  It's time to grow up.   

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I have not seen anyone here approving of these girls behavior so please stop trying to connect those dots. 

My problem is social justice "warriors" calling for heads immediately and associating this with the University. the university has nothing to do with the actions of free individuals who choose to do really stupid things.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

If the twitter ragers were only shaming the girls who posted the dumb picture, I might agree with you.  But they're calling for these girls to be expelled from a public university and they've already had success in getting students expelled from other universities.  That's not a battle of free speech vs free speech.

The picture indicates a lot worse behavior than just posting something stupid online.  From all appearances their locking another student out of a campus housing facility that may or may not be that student's personal residence and using that person's own personal property to post a harassing photograph.  That really elevates this to a whole different level of harassment.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I have not seen anyone here approving of these girls behavior so please stop trying to connect those dots. 

Really? Then what would you call this?

1 hour ago, MrEdway said:

So...one cannot be black and a bitch? Who knew?

Sorry, but I can and will connect those dots. Because these are young white women doing this, they are just "sowing their wild oats". If these were Black Panthers targeting white people with racial slurs, I imagine the social media response would be much, much different. Flame away, but those are dots worth connecting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2