SiouxSports.com Forum

Standing Rock Protests

squirtcoach

On 10/29/2016 at 11:53 AM, ringneck28 said:

I don't know how far apart the above ground shut off valves have to be but they are out there.  Ask those two women who tried to turn off the one in Minnesota. 

They're mandated on both sides of major water crossings. 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Is that why they are on horseback, to try and bankrupt the oil companies?

Lol I'm not so sure about that.  I also heard when asking for donations/help to maintain their camp, it was mentioned they had plenty of blankets and warm clothes; but what they could really use right now is prepaid gas cards.   True story. 

• Upvote 1

So 75% of GFH readers support the Standing Rock Protesters?  It reminds me when Obama was first running and everyone was supporting him, not based on character or the substance of what he said, but based on his skin color and white guilt that has been imposed on our society.   Standing Rock should and could be a viable economic district, but it's more like an inner city where government policy makes them wards of the rez.  That's what needs changing.  Native -Americans were merchants and traders in their day, and the feds have systematically eliminated that trait from reservations.

Support of the NoDAPL is very strong in the country because of ignorance and white guilt, and wouldn't be surprised if Washington stops it, even though it has already been 95% completed.  After all, everything Indians propose is pro-environment and inherently right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So 75% of GFH readers support the Standing Rock Protesters?  

No?  I'd guess at least 90% of GFH readers didn't respond to the poll.  Beyond that, I'd guess +50% of the poll's respondents don't normally read the GFH.

• Upvote 2

So far this garbage has cost the state $8 million and the expenses continue. Why is the bail to get these hooligans out of jail lined up with what their mess is costing the state as well as what it is costing the ranchers and insurance companies due vandalism/theft of property? 

I say say make these idiots pay and make those dog kennels they are held in temporarily a quarter the size.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Considering that the poll has over 17,000 votes and the typical poll has anywhere from a couple hundred to maybe a couple thousand, I wouldn't put any stock in it. Pretty easy to stuff the "ballot box" on the hose as we saw during the nickname polls.

Ballot stuffing is probably pretty rampant.  But still amazed that the Standing Rock Protesters seem to have so much support on Facebook.  Lutheran ministers are appalled at ND for its racial injustice now, Europeans on Facebook fully support the SR cause, black friends wonder why the SR views aren't heard, and libtard's all over want to give SR protesters money.  There has been big protests for SR in Seattle New York, and San Francisco, trying to get banks from lending money for the pipeline.  It has turned into a big deal.  Who came up with the $2.5 mill for bail money, including an attempted murder charge?

It's a Cause Celebre movement now, much as Ferguson was, based on lies.

• Upvote 2

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:19 PM, Siouxphan27 said:

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It's a Cause Celebre movement now, much as Ferguson was, based on lies.

Wash...rinse...repeat

• Upvote 1

And another article posted on Facebook.

Nathan Marshall

I must state up front ... I am a strong proponent of any Americans rights against big corporations and the government not to mention Native American rights. Too often throughout history America’s early inhabitants have been treated grossly unfairly ... and worse.

My initial reaction to hearing about the Standing Rock/Dakota Access Pipeline protest was to support them. But then, as I always try to do I started researching - trying to verify the truth - separate fact from fiction. And as I researched I become more and more disappointed by what I learned. Jesse Jackson's visit to Cannonball last week really sparked my interest. Mainly because being from the Chicago area I know how he and his cronies operate. Remember the demonstrations he sparked in Decatur, IL in 1999? They paid and bussed protesters who didn't have a dog in the fight downstate from Chicago.

So I still have friends on my page liking and sharing these anti-pipeline articles and memes. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is not about opinions, it's about facts. The facts are; the Dakota access pipeline DOES NOT cross the Standing Rock reservation, it DOES have all the necessary permits and approvals, and it is NOT disturbing any burial grounds This information is easily accessible online with a quick Google search, but I'll include a map anyway, in case you don't have time to research the lies you're sharing. And there are links showing they have the permits, and that top archeologists surveyed these sites and found nothing.

And before you start in about possible water contamination, that's just another scare tactic. The Missouri river will be directionally drilled and the pipeline will have the latest technologies and monitoring systems to help prevent releases and will be constructed 90 feet below the riverbed to ensure nothing may reach the river — far above and beyond what’s required by federal regulations.

Don't be fooled, the battle right now may be against this pipeline, but the war is on oil. I know some of you hate oil (even though you consume as much as the rest of us on a daily basis) but there simply is not enough renewable energy to meet the current demand, so this oil WILL be brought to market one way or another, and the safest way is via pipeline. They have a smaller carbon footprint and are 4.5 times less likely to cause a spill than trains. It's an easy choice. So don't tell me you're against pipelines because you care about the environment, because the two ideas are contradictory.

The claims there are historic, cultural and burial sites being bulldozed in direct disregard to the tribes claims are simply false. Much of the route is within existing “Southwest Pipeline” and “Northern Border” pipeline right of way - on land that was excavated long ago. The Dakota pipeline follows existing right of way in many places for an older pipeline built in same place, and specifically exactly follows the Northern Border pipeline right of way - built in 1982 - in the section leading up to, and the crossing of, the Missouri river.

Then there is the issue at the very HEART of the tribes claims ... the water intake at Fort Yates, just downstream from the pipeline’s crossing of the river (where the pipeline will be buried some 90+ feet below the river). The tribe’s KEY claim is the pipeline threatens what they say is the sole source of water for the reservation - the Fort Yates water intake, which is a few miles downstream from the DAPL river crossing near Cannonball, ND - the site of the protest. It is very hard though for the water intake at the heart of the tribes claims to be threatened if it does not exist. 
Which is a fact - and the tribe full well knows it. The water intake at Fort Yates - the one the tribes says is the primary source of the water for the reservation - is to be shut down in the coming months. The tribe has known since 2003 this intake would be replaced. The tribes water utility business received close to $40 million in Federal Government grants, including nearly $30 million in 2009 and since to build the new water intake and new water treatment plant in Mobridge South Dakota - over 70 miles away.

Pipeline officials and the US Army Corps of Engineers gave Standing Rock tribal officials numerous chances to provide input in 2014, but tribal officials failed to participate in those opportunities.

With that being said, I will not hold back any longer, if you've got the nerve to post these lies, I will call you out on it, so do your research before you chime in on something that you know nothing about. If you question my research and position then I will gladly share the same links and resources I got these facts from.

Bottom line: it's all about money. See which tribal leaders are benefiting from the protests. Since the pipeline does NOT cross reservation land these same people will not benefit from any right of way monies either.

• Upvote 4

This article said Putin allies and Warren Buffett had defeated Keystone and the proposed Sandpiper pipeline which would have run by Grand Forks and Northern Minnesota and their anti-pipeline activities would continue.  Funny how the protesters are protesting against Big oil, but not against Huge Money interests.  The anti-pipeline money was even allied with Native American groups then.  No wonder the anti-DAPL people have been so coordinated and money doesnt seem to be a problem.  Guess the protesters buttons are just so easily pushed, as they have no critical thinking skills whatsoever.

http://www.cfact.org/2015/05/20

On 10/29/2016 at 11:48 AM, TBR said:

Pipelines leak, and they will leak in the future. But usually the most significant aspect of the reporting of a small leak is that there is an indication that the leak detection system is working. This is not a black and white issue. I would actually prefer they be routed above ground over rivers and reservoirs so they could be more readily inspected visually.

Not all pipelines leak and if the proper maintenance is conducted then you will see no issues. Most of the significant leaks were from poorly maintained lines from when there were no regulations that upheld the integrity of the pipelines. 

Most of the pipeline leaks are caused by third party damage. This is why one calls should alway be submitted. By placing a pipeline above ground you are creating a higher risk environment and the pipeline is more susceptible to damage. Placing a pipeline above a river is a risky deal. It is susceptible to more damage than it would be if buried 90 feet deep. Would you want to put a steel pipeline near bridges that are salted or in the path of a flooding river? The risks below ground are so much less.

43 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Now Obama has said that the corps is looking into alternative routes for the pipeline.

I guess the best way to make things happen with this administration is to riot, trespass, vandalize property, kill livestock, steal, and shoot at police. What a joke.

"Change we can believe in"......... remember that line?

What a joke is correct.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Now Obama has said that the corps is looking into alternative routes for the pipeline.

I guess the best way to make things happen with this administration is to riot, trespass, vandalize property, kill livestock, steal, and shoot at police. What a joke.

Should've tried that with the NCAA to keep our name.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I'm betting the woman that shot at police serves no time and/or there will be protests to "free her". Where would you be if you took three shots at police

Is "asked to be in a #BLM protest march" the right answer?