SiouxSports.com Forum

Standing Rock Protests

squirtcoach

Hmmm....

All this time I wondered just why tribal leadership never allowed a vote on the Sioux nickname at Standing Rock. 

After reading these posts, I believe I see why now.  

Okay.   Rip away.  That's all the participation I'm doing on this thread.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

Hmmm....

All this time I wondered just why tribal leadership never allowed a vote on the Sioux nickname at Standing Rock. 

After reading these posts, I believe I see why now.  

Okay.   Rip away.  That's all the participation I'm doing on this thread.  

Read the link Siouxman posted a couple pages back for a little background info. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

Exactly.  Looking around the country at interactions with law enforcement that have ended so tragically, it's been nothing short of brilliant work by the officers in Morton County to show the patience and calm that they've displayed

So glad it hasn't turned into a Kent State.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

So Dalrymple is going to use military and police forces to attack, beat and arrest unarmed women and children to protect his personal investment in this pipeline.  I guess we can officially start referring to the state of ND as a third world petro state.     

The state must protect the legal right to construct the pipeline. These people are breaking the law to try to stop this pipeline. The pipeline has been legally approved and upheld in he courts. These people are not protesters, they are riotors. Their classification changed when they started to break the law.

the state of North Dakota needs this pipeline so that our oil can be shipped cheaper and be more competitive on the world market. We need this for our economy and the people who work in the Industry. When it is started up the rail oil volumes will crash to close to nothing. Now you know why Obama and Hillary are trying to block it so they can protect thier big donor Buffet. I'm done with this corruption so I'm voting for TRUMP

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, dlsiouxfan said:

So Dalrymple is going to use military and police forces to attack, beat and arrest unarmed women and children to protect his personal investment in this pipeline.  I guess we can officially start referring to the state of ND as a third world petro state.     

Two words, Crack Kills.

29 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Fort Berthold depends on oil revenue now.  They did not bitch about the pipeline crossing the Missouri near Williston.  But they are probably too intimidated to speak in favor of the pipeline.

Their tribal chairman offered a letter of support to the water protectors

So if the pipeline is 90 feet under the Missouri River and it leaks how does that contaminate the river? I can't find much online and I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I see a pipeline leaked in Yellowstone river a few years ago but was only five feet below the river, and in some places was exposed to the river.

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

The state must protect the legal right to construct the pipeline. These people are breaking the law to try to stop this pipeline. The pipeline has been legally approved and upheld in he courts. These people are not protesters, they are riotors. Their classification changed when they started to break the law.

the state of North Dakota needs this pipeline so that our oil can be shipped cheaper and be more competitive on the world market. We need this for our economy and the people who work in the Industry. When it is started up the rail oil volumes will crash to close to nothing. Now you know why Obama and Hillary are trying to block it so they can protect thier big donor Buffet. I'm done with this corruption so I'm voting for TRUMP

Most the early support was from earth justice and still maybe.  George Soros is a big funder of EarthJustice wants a world without fossil fuels.  Looks like more eco terrorist now.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

So if the pipeline is 90 feet under the Missouri River and it leaks how does that contaminate the river? I can't find much online and I'm having a hard time figuring it out. I see a pipeline leaked in Yellowstone river a few years ago but was only five feet below the river, and in some places was exposed to the river.

It could leak into Lake Oahe over time, but oil floats so it would be visible.  Many water systems run their water through charcoal or activated carbon, which removes organics.  Right now the falling and decaying leaves in the river are a problem.  Pipelines are instrumented to show significant leaks.

There are major natural oil leaks into some oceans and seas where oil sludge is common at the surface.  Environmentalists tried to blame oil tankers and Big ships, but there have been studies have shown oil has been seeping for eons in some spots.  The lighter stuff evaporates and much of it is eaten by biolife like bacteria and amoebas eventually, which are natural.  The earth is really good at cleaning itself up.  Oil is natural BTW.

Article on natural oil seepage:  http://www.whoi.edu/oil/natural-oil-seeps

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Fort Berthold depends on oil revenue now.  They did not bitch about the pipeline crossing the Missouri near Williston.  But they are probably too intimidated to speak in favor of the pipeline.

< ding ding ding >

He said the magic phrase! 

This pipeline ALREADY CROSSES the Missouri River southwest of Trenton. 

http://www.energytransfer.com/documents/DAPL_States_Counties.pdf 

I recently attended an event on the topic of sustainability. My assumption was that there would be presentations and discussions about limiting wastefulness and promoting renewable forms of energy, but most of the speakers pivoted towards Standing Rock. At one point it was mentioned that the Tribal members had plenty of winter clothes, blankets and food, but what they really needed were gas cards. I had to wonder to how many people in attendance the irony of this statement was lost.

I actually understand how the Standing Rock population feels like they are being dumped on, but it seems to me that their angst should be directed at their leadership for opting out of the public comment phase of the permitting process. Had their leadership expended as much effort at opposing the permit as the local population is now expending on protesting, the permits probably would not have been approved.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, TBR said:

I recently attended an event on the topic of sustainability. My assumption was that there would be presentations and discussions about limiting wastefulness and promoting renewable forms of energy, but most of the speakers pivoted towards Standing Rock. At one point it was mentioned that the Tribal members had plenty of winter clothes, blankets and food, but what they really needed were gas cards. I had to wonder to how many people in attendance the irony of this statement was lost.

I actually understand how the Standing Rock population feels like they are being dumped on, but it seems to me that their angst should be directed at their leadership for opting out of the public comment phase of the permitting process. Had their leadership expended as much effort at opposing the permit as the local population is now expending on protesting, the permits probably would not have been approved.

I would not be surprised if this is directed from the community organizer-in-chief.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Couple things. . . they're moving their water intake 70 miles south (because of low water, I believe) in the next month or two.  They've killed at least 30 cows and last week, shot a horse and mutilated it to retrieve the bullet.  They've dumped sugar in tractor tanks, and spray painted the pick up of a farmer just driving down his long drive way to his house.  The farmers and ranchers down there are not happy.  On a funnier note, in the Bismarck Tribune yesterday, the protesters asked the city of Cannonball if they could move their camp from the river bottoms to a spot north of town and the leaders told them that it would take at least 2 years to sort out all the paperwork to give them permission.  I don't think the Indians that live down there want these freaks around any more.  :) 

P.S.  Only 9% of the protesters arrested before yesterday are from North Dakota.