SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 World Cup of Hockey

Ray77

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread started on this already.  Pre-tournament games start today.

World Cup of Hockey projected lines, defense pairings for all eight teams - you can click on a roster and then at the bottom you can look at rosters from each other team

2016 World Cup of Hockey schedule

Pre-tournament schedule:

Thursday, September 8
Team Czech Republic vs. Team Russia - Yubileyny Sports Palace, St. Petersburg
12:30 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN1, TVA Sports 2

Team Sweden vs. Team Finland - Hartwall Arena; Helsinki
Noon ET/7 p.m. local - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Team Europe vs. Team North America - Videotron Centre; Quebec City
8 p.m. ET - ESPN2, SN, TVA Sports

Friday, September 9
Team Canada vs. Team USA - Nationwide Arena; Columbus
7 p.m. ET - ESPNU, SN1, SN360, TVA Sports

Saturday, September 10
Team Finland vs. Team Sweden - Scandinavium; Gothenburg
Noon ET/6 p.m. local - ESPN3, SN1, TVA Sports 2

Team Russia vs. Team Czech Republic - O2 Arena; Prague
10:30 a.m. ET/4:30 p.m. local - ESPN3, SN360, TVA Sports

Team USA vs. Team Canada - Canadian Tire Centre; Ottawa
7 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Sunday, September 11
Team Europe vs. Team North America - Bell Centre; Montreal
6 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, TVA Sports

Tuesday, September 13
Team Finland vs. Team USA - Verizon Center; Washington, DC
7 p.m. ET - ESPN, SN1, TVA Sports

Wednesday, September 14
Team Czech Republic vs. Team North America - CONSOL Energy Center; Pittsburgh
3:30 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN, SN1, TVA Sports

Team Canada vs. Team Russia - CONSOL Energy Center, Pittsburgh
7:30 p.m. ET - ESPN2, SN, TVA Sports

Team Sweden vs. Team Europe - Verizon Center; Washington, DC
7 p.m. ET - ESPN3, SN360, TVA Sports 2

• Upvote 1

Other thoughts:

- Looking at these teams rosters...wow!  I hate to say it and I hope they prove me wrong, but I'd rank Team USA in the bottom half.

- Team North America - the young guns.  This team looks good and could give other teams a good run.  I'm excited to watch this team.

- Patrik Laine getting thrown right into the fire on the 1st line with Finland.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.

I have others, but I'll leave it at this for now...

9 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Other thoughts:

- Looking at these teams rosters...wow!  I hate to say it and I hope they prove me wrong, but I'd rank Team USA in the bottom half.

- Team North America - the young guns.  This team looks good and could give other teams a good run.  I'm excited to watch this team.

- Patrik Laine getting thrown right into the fire on the 1st line with Finland.  It'll be interesting to see how he does.

I have others, but I'll leave it at this for now...

Huh???  We'll see, given the time of year and the age of team USA they may let down I guess.  But I think they are pretty jacked up.  I think Tyler Johnson and Shattenkirk should have made the team however the current team is still awesome.  Abelkader is kind of a question mark and so is Dubisnky but they should be solid bottom six/PK options.

Arguably best goalie combo, true bottom 6 with grit, true top 6 (along with most of the other teams), and top notch D.  They should contend for Gold. Obviously Canada is a heavy favorite though.

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Huh???  We'll see, given the time of year and the age of team USA they may let down I guess.  But I think they are pretty jacked up.  I think Tyler Johnson and Shattenkirk should have made the team however the current team is still awesome.  Abelkader is kind of a question mark and so is Dubisnky but they should be solid bottom six/PK options.

Arguably best goalie combo, true bottom 6 with grit, true top 6 (along with most of the other teams), and top notch D.  They should contend for Gold. Obviously Canada is a heavy favorite though.

Canada is absolutely stacked.

Don't get me wrong, the US team doesn't look like a "bad" team.  I think some of the best US players are on Team North America.  The future looks good for the USA, I'm just not sure about this team when comparing rosters.

The D pairing of J. Johnson and E. Johnson scares the heck out of me.

2 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Canada is absolutely stacked.

Don't get me wrong, the US team doesn't look like a "bad" team.  I think some of the best US players are on Team North America.  The future looks good for the USA, I'm just not sure about this team when comparing rosters.

The D pairing of J. Johnson and E. Johnson scares the heck out of me.

Oh, Sweden and Russia could give them a game however Russia's D is garbage and Sweden keeps losing players (obviously their D is stacked too).

Kane - Pavelski - Patches: all-world stacked

Parise - Stepen - Wheeler: pretty dang stacked if you ask me. 

JVR - Kesler - Oshie - They'll be extremely hard to play against.

Abelkader - Dubisnky - Backes:  That's about as great of a 4th line as a team can build.

McDonough - Carlson: all-world stacked

Suter - Byfuglien: all-world stacked

Erik Johnson - Jack Johnson- I am not a fan of J Johnson but on the flip side he isnt bad either.  Niskanen would be interesting here.

15 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Oh, Sweden and Russia could give them a game however Russia's D is garbage and Sweden keeps losing players (obviously their D is stacked too).

Kane - Pavelski - Patches: all-world stacked

Parise - Stepen - Wheeler: pretty dang stacked if you ask me. 

JVR - Kesler - Oshie - They'll be extremely hard to play against.

Abelkader - Dubisnky - Backes:  That's about as great of a 4th line as a team can build.

McDonough - Carlson: all-world stacked

Suter - Byfuglien: all-world stacked

Erik Johnson - Jack Johnson- I am not a fan of J Johnson but on the flip side he isnt bad either.  Niskanen would be interesting here.

Well, hopefully that's the key - getting the "right" guys, not just the big names (i.e. leaving Kessel off the team) and having some grinders such as Kesler, Backes, Dubinsky, etc.  The ol' Herb Brooks formula.  However, I'm not a fan of Wheeler at all and would trade him for Kessel any day.  That way, Kessel could play in the top 6 and not the bottom 6 where he'd be a cancer.

As I said before, the Johnson's could have been left off as well and replaced with a couple of guys from my men's league team.

32 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Well, hopefully that's the key - getting the "right" guys, not just the big names (i.e. leaving Kessel off the team) and having some grinders such as Kesler, Backes, Dubinsky, etc.  The ol' Herb Brooks formula.  However, I'm not a fan of Wheeler at all and would trade him for Kessel any day.  That way, Kessel could play in the top 6 and not the bottom 6 where he'd be a cancer.

As I said before, the Johnson's could have been left off as well and replaced with a couple of guys from my men's league team.

Kessel couldnt have played even if he wanted to...he's recovering from surgery.  The fact they left him off in the first place was puzzling though.

And why don't you like Wheeler?  He's awesome.  Kesler is one of the best 2-way centers in the entire league BTW, he not your typical "grinder".

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Kessel couldnt have played even if he wanted to...he's recovering from surgery.  The fact they left him off in the first place was puzzling though.

And why don't you like Wheeler?  He's awesome.  Kesler is one of the best 2-way centers in the entire league BTW, he not your typical "grinder".

Kesler is a great 2 way player, I wasn't slighting him in the least.  He's a guy you need on your team, but he is more of a 3rd line grinder/defensive forward than a 1st liner.

Wheeler...yuck.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm bummed that Brock Nelson didn't make the NA team. I feel he's definitely worthy of that roster. Thoughts?

He's too old.  Players on that roster are 23 and under.  Brock is 24 I believe (just about to turn 25).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

He's too old.  Players on that roster are 23 and under.  Brock is 24 I believe (just about to turn 25).

My bad. I thought it was 25. Looking at the US roster, then, I think he should be in over Dubi. Just my biased opinion lol. But, he's not a grinder nearly as much as Dubi is.

44 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Kesler is a great 2 way player, I wasn't slighting him in the least.  He's a guy you need on your team, but he is more of a 3rd line grinder/defensive forward than a 1st liner.

Wheeler...yuck.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78686

Just saying....he's one of the best players in the league.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78686

Just saying....he's one of the best players in the league.

Oh, believe me...there's nothing in that link that I didn't already know.  If I'm being honest, a lot of my opinion has to do with his past and where he went to college...I'm just not a fan.  He's a big lazy one way hockey player, but he can score, no doubt.  And yeah, if I was the GM of this team I suppose I'd have to include him on the team.  Now please excuse me...I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Anyone watching the pre-tourney games on NHL Network? I just realized they're running them. 

I believe ESPN is doing all the games.  Team USA plays Team Canada tonight in a pre-tournament game.  Is the NHL Network re-airing yesterday's games, or are they also airing live games?  I watched some of the Team NA vs Team Europe last night, and the youngsters from Team NA looked good.  They're going to have a good showing in this tournament and give other teams a run I think.