SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

315 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I think part of the issue is that they both wanted a hawk logo to match and reflect the nickname and also a new "ND" logo to replace the interlocking ND.  Rather than coming up with a primary Hawk logo and a secondary "ND" logo they combined them.  As has been stated elsewhere, many schools have and use both their letter logo and their nickname/mascot logo.

image.png.2eea37bfb94599fc50e830893215b1cc.pngimage.png.0747f5a6da366f35feeb8edfe6796a50.png

I was growing tired of having the interlocking ND mistaken for Notre Dame and would enjoy an updated and unique to us ND logo to use in addition to a hawk logo.  Maybe if/when the hawk logo is revamped they can introduce a new ND logo as a secondary as well.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:58 AM, ChrisUND1 said:

Personally, I think that looks fantastic.  Thanks for the mock-up.

I don't care, let just win. Nothing will ever look better than the old sioux logo at center ice, but as that is not an option, I don't really care. 

The logo is here, and I have bought and will continue to buy Hawk merchandise. I wish I could supplement a little Sioux gear here and there, but whatever. I would like to see some additional logos to add variety to the merchandise, and I think eliminating the interlocking ND was a big mistake.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

For those of you upset with the current UND hawk logo, what are you looking for in a hawk logo? Muscles? Teeth? Snarling? 

Can you throw out examples of other schools' bird logos that you like? I'd imagine UND will eventually have another logo that will either be the primary or secondary athletics logo, so I'm curious if anything could make you happy. 

I asked this a few days ago and got nothing.  Still waiting to see what that "near-perfect" logo looks like...  

Personally, I think UND should have a secondary logo now with a more detailed Hawk look, kind of like Sprig posted.  The initial Hawk logo is the base version that most schools have but they could have one now that has wings, talons, eyes, etc.  

26 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I asked this a few days ago and got nothing.  Still waiting to see what that "near-perfect" logo looks like...  

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+bird+logos&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS781US781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfu-TcwI_bAhXL7IMKHRXFBtwQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=905

Would people prefer any of these logos?  Are these so much better?  People complain about the Fighting Hawks name being unoriginal.  Should UND have further perpetuated that by choosing another bird logo like all these others?!! 

23 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+bird+logos&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS781US781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjfu-TcwI_bAhXL7IMKHRXFBtwQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=905

Would people prefer any of these logos?  Are these so much better?  People complain about the Fighting Hawks name being unoriginal.  Should UND have further perpetuated that by choosing another bird logo like all these others?!! 

The BC eagle logo, (the one with the full eagle, not just the head), change colors,  change BC to ND, and change the eagle to a hawk (ferruginous or rough legged) and I'll buy it. We're stuck with hawks,  at least have a logo that is one. 

Teeth, muscles, etc, NOOOOOO

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sure, most of those look fine.  I recall back then,  some people commented they did not want a cartoonish looking bird.  My feeling was we had already jumped in the pit of lame bird names, might as well have gone all the way.  Our current logo is what you get if you don't go cartoonish.   In other words, bland, boring, black paper hole punch for eyes, no color and no expression.  

5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Sure, most of those look fine.  I recall back then,  some people commented they did not want a cartoonish looking bird.  My feeling was we had already jumped in the pit of lame bird names, might as well have gone all the way.  Our current logo is what you get if you don't go cartoonish.   In other words, bland, boring, black paper hole punch for eyes, no color and no expression.  

If you look at Duke's logo(s) above, they have one of each, which isn't uncommon.  We need a more detailed version now.  

One name that came up after the name had been decided and would have been a unique name would have been the Peregrines. 

Technically the Peregrine is a Falcon and not a Hawk but in North America it is also known as the Duck Hawk. I would like to see a logo based on the power and speed and hunting abilities of this perfect predator. It is the fastest creature in the Animal Kingdom with speeds of up to 240 mph.

1 minute ago, petey23 said:

Technically the Peregrine is a Falcon and not a Hawk but in North America it is also known as the Duck Hawk. I would like to see a logo based on the power and speed and hunting abilities of this hunting machine. It is the fastest creature in the Animal Kingdom with speeds of up to 240 mph.

That would be my first choice, other than it being a falcon. I've seen the stoop often on the islands off the shores of S. Texas, as well as one taking a mallard over my goose decoys in northwest North Dakota

2 minutes ago, sprig said:

That would be my first choice, other than it being a falcon. I've seen the stoop often on the islands off the shores of S. Texas, as well as one taking a mallard over my goose decoys in northwest North Dakota

Living Missile

3 hours ago, petey23 said:

One name that came up after the name had been decided and would have been a unique name would have been the Peregrines. 

Three problems: 

1. I didn't have Fighting. :glare:
2. Peregrine can't be acronymised to something ... About We Keep ... the old nickname. :silly:
3. People would have to know what's happening on campus (like on the water tower) beyond their social media feeds. 

• Upvote 2