SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

By keeping the small Fighting Hawk group even smaller? They don’t want them as a fan base. Keeping the words North Dakota is like making the name, no nickname. So they are pleasing 2 groups the no nickname group and the Sioux Forever group which is all one big group.

No, but slowly integrating it. I disagree that they don't want them as a fanbase, because at that point, they wouldn't have the logo anywhere, ever. They are using the logo, just not as much as you'd like. Sorry.

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

MBB and WBB (and I believe VB) have really embraced the new name and logo. 

Knowing that, why would REA and KEM be against putting a logo they embrace on the surface they use? 

Hodgson stated in the emails Siouxperfan7 sent over. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hodgson stated in the emails Siouxfan sent over. 

No, the answer is in the FOIA emails Port uncovered, specifically from Hodgson to Kennedy (20 Apr 2018).

In there, regarding what is going on the courts, in reference to the REA Board Hodgson says: 

" ... I don't believe that mindset will change." 

Meaning they (the REA Board) do not want the new name or logo. 

That said, absorb the following:
There is a small group making a decision for all, in this case, it's the REA Board, regarding logos. 

More importantly, MRK has a reasonable point: He says it's better for UND with the logo on the surfaces; the agreements say the facility is to be run for UND's benefit; yet, this appears that the board is going with their mindset and as Hodgson says, " ... I don't believe that mindset will change." 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, the answer is in the FOIA emails Port uncovered, specifically from Hodgson to Kennedy (20 Apr 2018).

In there, regarding what is going on the courts, in reference to the REA Board Hodgson says: 

" ... I don't believe that mindset will change." 

Meaning they (the REA Board) do not want the new name or logo. 

That said, absorb the following:
There is a small group making a decision for all, in this case, it's the REA Board, regarding logos. 

More importantly, MRK has a reasonable point: He says it's better for UND with the logo on the surfaces; the agreements say the facility is to be run for UND's benefit; yet, this appears that the board is going with their mindset and as Hodgson says, " ... I don't believe that mindset will change." 

I agree with this. With that said, I still think the majority (large majority) still would rather wait and the REA board is doing what I'd think the majority wants them to do whether that's the reason for doing so, or not.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with this. With that said, I still think the majority (large majority) still would rather wait and the REA board is doing what I'd think the majority wants them to do.

If you read the emails, Kennedy never asks for the logo to be placed at center ice.  He knows that's a losing battle right now thanks to the hockey team's resistance to the name.  All he asked for was center court of the Betty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

If you read the emails, Kennedy never asks for the logo to be placed at center ice.  He knows that's a losing battle right now thanks to the hockey team's resistance to the name.  All he asked for was center court of the Betty.

I apparently missed that part. And that seems like a reasonable ask. 

Looking forward to the tit-for-tat ending, at some point. 

stoney,

You keep saying majority.

The only scientifically proven majority to speak on this issue was when the state-wide electorate said the name and logo had to go (with something like 66% of the vote). 

After that we have a plethora of pluralities:
- the no-nicknamers who are really FSF in NN clothes
- the open FSF crowd
- true no-nicknamers and there are a few
- the "happy it's over; I can live with this" crowd (admittedly that's me) 
- the "this logo/nickname is < disparagement here > -- let's have a do-over" crowd

To claim a majority view right now might be a bit presumptuous. . 

• Like 1

Just a random thought............................could all of this have been avoided it the university just went with "North Dakota" and no nickname?

another thought...........................my father doesn't have a middle name. Has been a real detriment to him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

stoney,

You keep saying majority.

The only scientifically proven majority to speak on this issue was when the state-wide electorate said the name and logo had to go (with something like 66% of the vote). 

After that we have a plethora of pluralities:
- the no-nicknamers who are really FSF in NN clothes
- the open FSF crowd
- true no-nicknamers and there are a few
- the "happy it's over; I can live with this" crowd (admittedly that's me) 
- the "this logo/nickname is < disparagement here > -- let's have a do-over" crowd

To claim a majority view right now might be a bit presumptuous. . 

Haha fair point, but I think it's easier than that, especially since four of your five stated pluralities aren't decidedly pro-Hawks. 

OK, completely and totally unscientific, but, look at the results in the poll in this thread (246 votes at this time). 

It's a dead split ABC vs DE; 123 vs 123. And that's calling Ds a failing grade. 

Go pass/fail, ABCD vs E it's 157 vs 89 (64%).

Gravity started working just two months after initial roll-out. 

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just a random thought............................could all of this have been avoided it the university just went with "North Dakota" and no nickname?

another thought...........................my father doesn't have a middle name. Has been a real detriment to him.

Like Dave St. Peter said, 

"Somewhere along the line ... some people connected support of 'North Dakota' with a protest vote over the 'Fighting Sioux' nickname going away," St. Peter said in an interview Wednesday morning. " 'If you were for North Dakota, you were trying to hang on to Fighting Sioux.' Some people even suggested that if we didn't have a new nickname, 'Fighting Sioux' would come back. That was certainly not the motivation for me.”

http://m.startribune.com/north-dakota-nickname-committee-eliminates-no-nickname-option-for-und/318111091/

1 hour ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Maybe, the REA just thinks the new logo and more so the name are totally lame and bland and think that "North Dakota" is less lame and bland.  Golly, at some schools, all they use is the school "letter" logo and the school name and you have to dig deep to even figure out what their nickname is.  

I surely would have jumped onboard with a new nickname/logo a bit quicker if it had been something unique and cool.  As it is, I would rather just get UND stuff with maybe the scripted "fighting hawks" in real small print on it somewhere.  

Well, technically the Fighting Hawks logo is a "letter" logo.  Ours just happens to be formed with a hawk head!! ;)

1 hour ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

Maybe, the REA just thinks the new logo and more so the name are totally lame and bland and think that "North Dakota" is less lame and bland.  Golly, at some schools, all they use is the school "letter" logo and the school name and you have to dig deep to even figure out what their nickname is.  

th?id=OIP.AHirXUGG5g9isFqeNryX5wHaJ2&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300 th?id=OIP.qo587WN86fr3MN0kyAHyAQHaFh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=267&h=200

th?id=OIP.bMJlnS-DX7XcdhNNBgpgbgHaDh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=341&h=163 th?id=OIP.vWtNQQd4ZLiS0kjp98zBwAHaFj&pid=15.1&P=0&w=240&h=181

th?id=OIP.MGbs6KbaIKXmf-z6f6OgngHaCx&pid=15.1&P=0&w=443&h=167

Don't see too many mascot logos here...these arenas look just fine without a husky, wolverine, gofer, etc at center ice.

(note:  this picture of Mariucci was actually taken during a men's game :))

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

th?id=OIP.AHirXUGG5g9isFqeNryX5wHaJ2&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300 th?id=OIP.qo587WN86fr3MN0kyAHyAQHaFh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=267&h=200

th?id=OIP.bMJlnS-DX7XcdhNNBgpgbgHaDh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=341&h=163 th?id=OIP.vWtNQQd4ZLiS0kjp98zBwAHaFj&pid=15.1&P=0&w=240&h=181

th?id=OIP.MGbs6KbaIKXmf-z6f6OgngHaCx&pid=15.1&P=0&w=443&h=167

Don't see too many mascot logos here...these arenas look just fine without a husky, wolverine, gofer, etc at center ice.

(note:  this picture of Mariucci was actually taken during a men's game :))

0B5ubNtKCsUshM05zaXpiT0JrUGc.jpg?itok=iDCan’t the REA at least do this? Or will the FSF fans get out the pitchforks.

2 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

0B5ubNtKCsUshM05zaXpiT0JrUGc.jpg?itok=iDCan’t the REA at least do this? Or will the FSF fans get out the pitchforks.

Honestly, they'll probably stick it behind each net before it ever gets to center ice.