SiouxSports.com Forum

What do you think of the logo now??

Siouxperfan7

Fighting Hawks logo  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

In contrast ...

Potential Scholarship Athlete X aka Recruit X: I have an offer from both UND and NDSU (let's say Wisconsin for hockey), but since most of UND's fan base is now hostile towards itself with the Fighting Hawks nickname, I think I'm definitely going to attend NDSU (Wisconsin) where everyone is uniformly prideful and not hostile towards mere nickname beliefs. 

Everything is considered and weighed when there are options in recruiting. 

So Recruit X would be concerned about the potential nickname identity crisis between Sioux and Hawks but would not be worried about Bye-son vs Byzz-zon?

:silly:

Actually doubt it, I would agree with Archie in that the management of The Ralph has had some control/resistance in the use of Fighting Hawks/logo. Next year things are going to be different. Pres. Kennedy seems to be pretty involved in sports, he's supporting the Hawk. Be interesting next week or so to hear the future of our sports. 

29 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I guess maybe the fact the people are just complaining about the logo now and not about bringing back the Fighting Sioux name is the progress of a kind. I am well aware there are still some who are dead set on bringing back the Fighting Sioux nickname, but the is almost certainly never going to happen. Everyone is making a big deal about how football and basketball have embraced the new logo, and while that sounds great to the outsiders who don't understand UND any UND alumni should Know that hockey is the Heartbeat of UND athletics. Unless hockey fans embrace logo we will always be divided on the nickname issue, and that is s where the University needs to move slowly, the worst thing they could do is to stick a Big Hawk logo on center ice or in the center of the jerseys next year. I think the most Hockey fans will tolerate the logo as a shoulder patch.

Why is putting a Hawk on the ice or jersey the worst thing? What are fans gonna do stop showing up? There are plenty of people that will gladly take their seats. The best thing they can do is implement the Hawk logo in that building because die hard Sioux forever fans see that building as a Sioux sanctuary that will be untouched with Hawk logos as it's surrounded by Sioux logos. The longer it takes for Hawk logos to not be in that building the more divided this fan base will be. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

On 3/22/2017 at 3:52 PM, MafiaMan said:

:lol:  If only we'd changed the nickname and/or logo, Hakstol would have an NCAA title or two under his belt!  

Rube Bjorkman may have 5 natties, and hockey would still be played in the old metal arena

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I disagree, you do that, and the hockey fans will only retrench, though to be honest I don't think that UND gets to make the call on what is printed at Center Ice, the Ralph gets to make that call. However UND could stick that big Hawk Office logo on the jersey, but I doubt they will fly off the shelves.

Change the font on the jersey to the new one.  Arched FIGHTING above the small number and HAWKS below it for the home whites - substitute in NORTH and DAKOTA for the road greens.  Hawk logo on the shoulders inside green yokes at home and white on the road.  Old-school lace-up fronts.

Anyone wanna see a mock-up?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Change the font on the jersey to the new one.  Arched FIGHTING above the small number and HAWKS below it for the home whites - substitute in NORTH and DAKOTA for the road greens.  Hawk logo on the shoulders inside green yokes at home and white on the road.  Old-school lace-up fronts.

Sure

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Gopher it

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

So Recruit X would be concerned about the potential nickname identity crisis between Sioux and Hawks but would not be worried about Bye-son vs Byzz-zon?

You think recruits love hearing boos when "Fighting Hawks" is mentioned over the loudspeakers or enjoy seeing empty seats because folks felt they would somehow be helping UND by boycotting UND athletics due to the new nickname? 

16-, 17-, and 18-year old kids aren't complete robots; they will take into account both the passion and the ridiculousness of each prospective fan base. 

Recruits aren't invested in the past nickname like some think they somehow should be. Many current recruits were 12 years old when UND was last officially referred to as the Fighting Sioux.

Recruits and current student-athletes want "fans" to unanimously buy in because the players and coaches certainly have; the only possible exception to this is the hockey program due to some residual poison. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

9 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So football and womens hockey fans were and/or are staying away as a form of protest over the nickname and logo?  C'mon!

Likely not in great numbers, but you're quite unaware of the various claims and protest threats, if you will, that have been put out there if you're doubting what I'm suggesting. FSF fans have, shall we say, a special mindset. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Any recruit intelligent enough to be with his or her salt is going to be worried about things like - competitiveness of the team, training facilities, cost of attendance stipend, etc. Whether or not the fans like the new nickname and logo is way on the bottom of the list, just above if there is a $10.00 pizza deal and is there an on campus subway.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, sprig said:

Not singling you out,  lots of us like all sports.   But those that promote that hockey only sentiment here will divide our fan base for much longer than if we just let it go. It will run its course.  Sioux chants,  booing Hawks, etc have quieted from last fall to this spring. Nothing creates hatred among fans like social media.  And using social media to let people know what they need to do/ think is a waste of time and will delay the change. 

Careful Sprig, you might upset all the experts here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, sprig said:

Not singling you out,  lots of us like all sports.   But those that promote that hockey only sentiment here will divide our fan base for much longer than if we just let it go. It will run its course.  Sioux chants,  booing Hawks, etc have quieted from last fall to this spring. Nothing creates hatred among fans like social media.  And using social media to let people know what they need to do/ think is a waste of time and will delay the change. 

Good points and thanks for the response! I just try to express my opinion and sometimes razz a few who are easily aroused. :D I think your assessment is the way things are and will be playing out over time. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/23/2017 at 8:48 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

You think recruits love hearing boos when "Fighting Hawks" is mentioned over the loudspeakers or enjoy seeing empty seats because folks felt they would somehow be helping UND by boycotting UND athletics due to the new nickname? 

16-, 17-, and 18-year old kids aren't complete robots; they will take into account both the passion and the ridiculousness of each prospective fan base. 

Recruits aren't invested in the past nickname like some think they somehow should be. Many current recruits were 12 years old when UND was last officially referred to as the Fighting Sioux.

Recruits and current student-athletes want "fans" to unanimously buy in because the players and coaches certainly have; the only possible exception to this is the hockey program due to some residual poison. 

Jesus...Is there anyway I can get the wasted time I lost reading this?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Jesus...Is there anyway I can get the wasted time I lost reading this?

No, but for future reference you can learn to read faster. 

Too bad all those "Sioux Forever" chants at Scheels Arena today couldn't prevent the choke job. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 14

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, but for future reference you can learn to read faster. 

Too bad all those "Sioux Forever" chants at Scheels Arena today couldn't prevent the choke job. 

You call yourself a UND fan making a comment like that?! You're a POS as far as I'm concerned! 

What choke job happened?

More time wasted on a waste of skin!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2