Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Siouxperfan7

What do you think of the logo now??

Fighting Hawks logo  

267 members have voted

  1. 1. Now that the dust has settled, what is your grade for the new Fighting Hawks logo now?

    • A
      17
    • B
      64
    • C
      51
    • D
      35
    • F
      100


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MafiaMan said:

Than an NCAA title?  You're not alone!  

I demand it.  Bubba is on thin ice with me right now after that Richmond loss.  Jones sh*t the bed vs. Arizona.  Don't even get me started on Brewster.

I gave Berry a few months off (May-October) but the past six months have been a disaster.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

 

Arizona STATE?  Am I missing an inside joke here?  

No clue either.............just play along.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Hockey only two cents:

The logo on the front of the jersey is the logo that should be on the banners in REA.  Hockey sweaters have a special meaning and it's a shame that the logo on most of those banners as they currently hang is NOT one that the respective teams wore on their chest.  FIX IT!

Agree with you on this

 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

To me, the casual observer, I'd note that now that all the tense energy surrounding the old nickname (waiting for the next court order, or the next flair-up, or the next "incident") is gone, what's happened?

  • 2016 Men's National Ice Hockey Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Volleyball Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Football Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Women's Basketball Champions
  • 2017 Big Sky Men's Basketball Champions

And a first ever Men's Basketball appearance in the NCAA Tournament. 
Oh, and now a 15th straight NCAA men's ice hockey tournament appearance. (The name didn't change that. See above.) 

A casually observing cynic might claim that now that the situation is resolved that energy and focus has been redirected to far better things for UND and UND Athletics. 

 

You may not completely like the resolution, but you can't argue with the results since "Fighting Hawks". 

 

Not criticizing the new nickname.  I just see this as coincidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I do. 

I think the atmosphere is a shell of its former self. It turns into a church for minutes at a time.

Edit for clarification: I don't think it's nearly most or half or majority reason. People being disengaged is the problem for me, but ever since the nickname went away stuff, you don't get the intimidating, entire stadium in unison cheers that I remember. Some people don't or only half-heartedly join in on "Let's Go Sioux"; a lot of people won't dare to cheer for the H word in that building for ridicule.... I just think that part sucks. 

One of my favorite Ralph memories was a pretty low key moment in the scheme of things. Kinda of a horsecrap call against our favorite team, Duluth douche like 7 seats away from me stands up taunting the call and the fans... an angry flavored Let's Go Sioux chant fires up, and Duluth douche starts doing an "oh, I'm so scared" kinda bit... They entire arena gets behind it, and Duluth douche is still talking, but I can't hear him 7 seats away because the cheer is so thundering. I remember looking at the ice and see Duluth players looking up like, "what the hell is this?" 

I just don't think we get that anymore with a mixed identity.

So now you comparing UND to trans genders?! :ohmy:;) 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Hockey only two cents:

The logo on the front of the jersey is the logo that should be on the banners in REA.  Hockey sweaters have a special meaning and it's a shame that the logo on most of those banners as they currently hang is NOT one that the respective teams wore on their chest.  FIX IT!

 

15 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Actually 3 wirh the Blackhawk, I believe.  The first 2 titles were arched SIOUX or diagonal SIOUX jerseys. 

 

14 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

That's right!

@Teeder11 - check out the REA Banners thread in the hockey forums that I shamelessly bumped up.  I had posted that quite a while back.  There are pictures in there of each of the respective title teams, not including last year's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Taz Boy said:

Good point, here they are celebrating that success...

SIOUX.JPG?itok=p_W4ei6u

Maybe if they win the NC they will wave the Hawk banner. There was no logo at the time of the 2016 NC. Plus it is the hockey team, the last sport to incorporate the name and logo so why not wave a Sioux banner.

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

I'll admit, I was born a Sioux, but now I identify as a Hawk.

I was born a Sioux, but now I identify as a transgendered heterosexual squirrel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I was born a Sioux, but now I identify as a transgendered heterosexual squirrel.  

There are no bathrooms for that.  Maybe a tree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I do. 

I think the atmosphere is a shell of its former self. It turns into a church for minutes at a time.

Edit for clarification: I don't think it's nearly most or half or majority reason. People being disengaged is the problem for me, but ever since the nickname went away stuff, you don't get the intimidating, entire stadium in unison cheers that I remember. Some people don't or only half-heartedly join in on "Let's Go Sioux"; a lot of people won't dare to cheer for the H word in that building for ridicule.... I just think that part sucks. 

One of my favorite Ralph memories was a pretty low key moment in the scheme of things. Kinda of a horsecrap call against our favorite team, Duluth douche like 7 seats away from me stands up taunting the call and the fans... an angry flavored Let's Go Sioux chant fires up, and Duluth douche starts doing an "oh, I'm so scared" kinda bit... They entire arena gets behind it, and Duluth douche is still talking, but I can't hear him 7 seats away because the cheer is so thundering. I remember looking at the ice and see Duluth players looking up like, "what the hell is this?" 

I just don't think we get that anymore with a mixed identity.

I think it has evolved from "Cheers" to high energy noise. and I think this rides on the backs of the students. If you look at the schools that have a lot of energy it's centered on the student section that is jumping up and down and making noise - not necessarily leading cheers. You can't expect the energy to come from those that are in their 40s, 50, 60s, 70s.... 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

 

 

@Teeder11 - check out the REA Banners thread in the hockey forums that I shamelessly bumped up.  I had posted that quite a while back.  There are pictures in there of each of the respective title teams, not including last year's.  

Very nice indeed!  Love that stroll back down memory lane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

 

Arizona STATE?  Am I missing an inside joke here?  

Oops.  Just did to them what everybody does to us. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Nope, it was a complete, 100% coincidence.  All of those things were happening no matter what.  

 

That is possible, but there certainly is no way to know for sure. It's all theoretical. Fact is UND won everything it has won in the past year while being known as the Fighting Hawks.

Also a fact, not a belief: UND as just "North Dakota" did not win an NCAA hockey championship, did not make the DI NCAA men's basketball tournament and did not make the FCS football playoffs.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Scholarship Athlete X:  You know, now that we've resolved this nickname issue, I'm going to stop half-a**ing it out there and give 100% in 2016-2017!  

Yea, that's not how it happened...

In contrast ...

Potential Scholarship Athlete X aka Recruit X: I have an offer from both UND and NDSU (let's say Wisconsin for hockey), but since most of UND's fan base is now hostile towards itself with the Fighting Hawks nickname, I think I'm definitely going to attend NDSU (Wisconsin) where everyone is uniformly prideful and not hostile towards mere nickname beliefs. 

Everything is considered and weighed when there are options in recruiting. 

  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Potential Scholarship Athlete X aka Recruit X: I have an offer from both UND and NDSU (let's say Wisconsin for hockey), but since most of UND's fan base is hostile towards itself now with the Fighting Hawks nickname, I think I'm definitively going to attend NDSU where everyone is prideful and not hostile towards mere nickname preferences. 

Everything is considered and weighed when there are options in recruiting. 

If Recruit X actually thinks that way, then I fear they may struggle to maintain academic eligibility, even at the NDSCC.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Also a fact, not a belief: UND has never won a national championship while the moon wanes, only waxes.  Wax has 3 letters > Tucker Poolman is #3 > Poolman can be translated roughly to Pool Man in Norwegian > Norwegian has 9 letters > We are trying to capture our 9th championship

Whoa...

Image result for mind blown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Taz Boy said:

If Recruit X actually thinks that way, then I fear they may struggle to maintain academic eligibility, even at the NDSCC.

Right, because the hypothetical choice he ended up making was quite telling of his academic ability ...  

... but in all seriousness, that doesn't suggest academic proficiency. Fan base characteristics are repeated over and over again during recruiting; well known. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Save your mind; good ol' fashioned tomfoolery at work. 

So you're saying that UND has won a national championship while the moon wanes, and that @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer just pulled my leg?  Damn you, IHTINB! :lol:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×