SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Has anyone heard how the fundsraising for men's golf is going or is this the answer to that question also? 

I've heard men's golf is almost at its fundraising goal, but is still short.(need $70,000 by Aug. 30) Thinking they can make it. But even if they did make their fundraising goal, can Kennedy still cut it? Funds raised privately specifically for the program? 

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

Someone chime in here but I think the untouchable sports are: M Hockey, Football, M&W Basketball, Volleyball. 

Everything else should be on the table for debate. We still have too many sports at 19. Texas has 18 and one of the largest athletic budgets around. 

Does the investment they made in the HPC keep M & W Track and Field safe? Maybe cross county piggy backs off of T & F, being so closely related?

I would love to see UND join the Summit League and believe it would be a win win for both UND and the Summit.  I would think/hope that the current Summit League teams that are also in the MVFC, could help UND gain admittance to the MVFC.  Having UND join the Summit League would bring more stability and strength to the Summit League and having a stable and strong Summit League in turn brings more stability and strength to the MVFC.     

Failing a joint Summit/MVFC opportunity, is there any possiblity/interest of leaving football in the Big Sky and moving all other sports to the Summit?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, goyotes said:

I would love to see UND join the Summit League and believe it would be a win win for both UND and the Summit.  I would think/hope that the current Summit League teams that are also in the MVFC, could help UND gain admittance to the MVFC.  Having UND join the Summit League would bring more stability and strength to the Summit League and having a stable and strong Summit League in turn brings more stability and strength to the MVFC.     

Failing a joint Summit/MVFC opportunity, is there any possiblity/interest of leaving football in the Big Sky and moving all other sports to the Summit?

I truly believe the only way we go to the Summit is if there is a MVFC invite in tandem. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JTSchro said:

Does the investment they made in the HPC keep M & W Track and Field safe? Maybe cross county piggy backs off of T & F, being so closely related?

T&F are safe.  Any Big Sky core sports are safe until UND finds it's way into the Summit/MVFC.  

Like previously said, Women's Hockey, Softball, & S/D are up for debate.

3 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

T&F is also a core Big  Sky Sport so the liklihood of getting cut is slim.

The sports i had in mind: Swimming and diving, softball, womens hockey (money pit). Basically Mens hockey and core big sky sports will be safe.

12 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

T&F is also a core Big  Sky Sport so the liklihood of getting cut is slim.

The sports i had in mind: Swimming and diving, softball, womens hockey (money pit). Basically Mens hockey and core big sky sports will be safe.

I admittedly am not a title IX expert but don't we need to keep women's hockey since the men have hockey? ...or is that not how any of this works?

There are 16 core sports in the Big Sky, plus one for hockey, bringing us to 17.

The Summit has 17 core sports, plus one for a football affiliate, and one for hockey, bring us to 19.

Wouldn't moving to the Summit make more problems by adding more core sports, and ultimately more expense? Or wouldn't UND have to carry all Summit core sports, if the move was made?

4 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I admittedly am not a title IX expert but don't we need to keep women's hockey since the men have hockey? ...or is that not how any of this works?

I am no expert either but I am fairly certain it is based on number of scholarships instead of actual sports. Even then there are more factors to evaluate that I am not including. This stuff is pretty confusing.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

200_s.gif

It's funnier when it's just SV saying it.

its not too outlandish to think Kenndey that he might drop unneeded sports (s&d, womens hockey, softball) and move up with

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

UND

USD

NMSU

Portland State

Sac State

I think siouxvolley is a little out hre with utrv and Wichita and stuff but the above is not out of the realm of possibility

10 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

There are 16 core sports in the Big Sky, plus one for hockey, bringing us to 17.

The Summit has 17 core sports, plus one for a football affiliate, and one for hockey, bring us to 19.

Wouldn't moving to the Summit make more problems by adding more core sports, and ultimately more expense? Or wouldn't UND have to carry all Summit core sports, if the move was made?

I don't know what sports are required by the Summit.  USD participates in all 9 women's sports sponsored by the Summit, but only participates in 5 of the 8 men's sports (basketball, cross country, track & field, golf and swimming & diving).  They don't participate in baseball, tennis and soccer on the men's side.

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

How much of this is on Faison? 

Quite a bit to me, IIRC back to when the first budgets went around, Schafer came back and told Faison to cut sport programs, as he tried to make it work without cutting anything.

Bottom line: W Hockey, M/W Swimming and Softball programs will be on eggshells until December and Brad nailed this situation perfectly in these two tweets

If you have to cut sports, do it all at once and get it over with like SCSU. UND has, once again, so badly mismanaged this process.

This mismanagement has caused fans of some teams to openly cheer/argue for others to get cut. What a shameful situation.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

$1.4 million athletic shortfall......

Thats what been going on at UND for years (and the majority of college athletics)?

at which home game does kenndey walked into section 105 at a women's hockey game at the Ralph and look around and say this is unsustainable and or ridiculous?

26 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

its not too outlandish to think Kenndey that he might drop unneeded sports (s&d, womens hockey, softball) and move up with

Montana

Montana State

Idaho

UND

USD

NMSU

Portland State

Sac State

I think siouxvolley is a little out hre with utrv and Wichita and stuff but the above is not out of the realm of possibility

And the funding for the 22 incremental football scholarships comes from where exactly?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Quite a bit to me, IIRC back to when the first budgets went around, Schafer came back and told Faison to cut sport programs, as he tried to make it work without cutting anything.

Bottom line: W Hockey, M/W Swimming and Softball programs will be on eggshells until December and Brad nailed this situation perfectly in these two tweets

If you have to cut sports, do it all at once and get it over with like SCSU. UND has, once again, so badly mismanaged this process.

This mismanagement has caused fans of some teams to openly cheer/argue for others to get cut. What a shameful situation.

Sounds like Ed Schafer should have cut more sports.

Faison isn't going to cut sports without being told to do so.

Faisons job is to keep and grow sports, but again this athletic shortfall isn't anything new..it's just there's less institutional funds due to state budget cuts and the increased expenses of full cost of attendance.

2 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

And the funding for the 22 incremental football scholarships comes from where exactly?

ask NMSU...they crunched some numbers and said it would cost more to move down...depends on who you ask I guess but dropping unneeded sports would help.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Title IX.  Good luck cutting 50 women's scholarships and then adding 20 football scholarships.

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Title IX.  Good luck cutting 50 women's scholarships and then adding 20 football scholarships.

just take whatever Arkansas state, la-Monroe, south Alabama, and the north texas big green do and go from there...if it works for them it can't work for the above 8 schools?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

take Arkansas state

mens:

baseball

basketball

x country

football

golf

track and f

womens:

basketball

bowling

x country

golf

soccer

tennis

track and f

volleyball

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Sounds like Ed Schafer should have cut more sports.

Faison isn't going to cut sports without being told to do so.

Faisons job is to keep and grow sports, but again this athletic shortfall isn't anything new..it's just there's less institutional funds due to state budget cuts and the increased expenses of full cost of attendance.

I just hope things can get figured out, it sucks that this has to be done.  Understand it, but sucks

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Include the MVFC and I'd put it at a 50/50 chance.

While I'd agree with your odds, the MVFC is not an option at this point. They have zero interest in expanding. Patty V continues to make that very clear publicly and behind closed doors.

27 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

There were budget options that could have made it work but it wouldn't have been sustainable and that is why they cut the cord on the two they did. The issues continue to come from the state budget shortfalls and I'm not actually sure any sports will be cut this round but I'd wouldn't rule it out. NDSU is in the process or just finished up figuring out to what their plans are for 5, 10 and 15% cuts in their athletic department. That amounts to somewhere between $1 million and $3 million.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

While I'd agree with your odds, the MVFC is not an option at this point. They have zero interest in expanding. Patty V continues to make that very clear publicly and behind closed doors.

I wonder how much Douple would be able to lean on Patty to change her opinion, if UND were to express interest.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

There were budget options that could have made it work but it wouldn't have been sustainable and that is why they cut the cord on the two they did. The issues continue to come from the state budget shortfalls and I'm not actually sure any sports will be cut this round but I'd wouldn't rule it out. NDSU is in the process or just finished up figuring out to what their plans are for 5, 10 and 15% cuts in their athletic department. That amounts to somewhere between $1 million and $3 million.

Ok, makes some sense.