SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 - 2017 NHL Season

With all the news today, it's about time we kick off the new season's thread!

Big trades today:
PK Subban for Shea Weber http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2016/06/29/pk-subban-shea-weber-canadiens-predators/86523282/

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson http://sports.yahoo.com/news/taylor-hall-traded-to-devils-for-adam-larsson-200817592.html

Oh, and Stamkos signed a deal to stay in TB!

Zucker signs for 2 years with the Wild.

And, Matt Cullen wants to play another year in Pitt.

.... And we're still 2 days from the start of free agency :ohmy:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

With all the news today, it's about time we kick off the new season's thread!

Big trades today:
PK Subban for Shea Weber http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2016/06/29/pk-subban-shea-weber-canadiens-predators/86523282/

Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson http://sports.yahoo.com/news/taylor-hall-traded-to-devils-for-adam-larsson-200817592.html

Oh, and Stamkos signed a deal to stay in TB!

Zucker signs for 2 years with the Wild.

And, Matt Cullen wants to play another year in Pitt.

.... And we're still 2 days from the start of free agency :ohmy:

This is great already!  I believe the Kings gave teams the green light to speak with Lucic, so my guess is that Chiarelli is clearing cap space by moving Hall to make room for Lucic.  I wouldn't be surprised if that deal is inked right after 12:00 Eastern on Friday.

When I first heard the Subban for Weber deal I thought that Montreal absolutely robbed Nashville.  However, Weber is 30 years old and is signed for the next 10 years at $7.85M/year.  Probably good in the short term, but that will not be good in the latter years, which I'm sure is why Poile wanted to rid himself of that contract.  Subban is signed at $9M per year through the 2021-22 season.

7 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Can't wait for free agency to start!

Agree with those above that the Hall deal looks like clearing cap space.  I'll have to see what they do with it, but it doesn't seem like a great trade at this moment.

If yesterday was any indication, tomorrow at 12:00 EST is going to be nuts!  Interesting note...Peter Chiarelli has now traded away the #1 and #2 picks from the 2010 draft:

#1 Taylor Hall - from EDM to NJD

#2 Tyler Seguin - from BOS to DAL

The Seguin trade has proven to be a bad trade, what will come of the Hall trade?  If we're judging by the players involved, the 1 for 1 trade of Hall and Larsson appears to be a mistake (although I think Larsson is a solid defenseman and will be good for Edmonton).  I guess it'll depend on what Chiarelli does in FA with his cap space that'll help to answer the question.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hall to NJD (for who?) looks like pure and simple salary dump. 

Larsson is a solid, young defenseman, who is still learning (23 years old).  Sure the Oilers save some salary, but Larsson is signed at $4.1/M a year for the next 4 years. They saved $2 million in cap per year.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

They saved $2 million in cap per year.  

What would be the smartest thing EDM could do with $2 million from that? Sign Matt Cullen and Matt Greene. Get some maturity (and PK) into that room to help McDavid mature into a leader. 

If the Oilers were worried about cap space then they should have traded away Nugent-Hopkins to the Devils and not Hall. Nugent-Hopkins isn't worth the money Hall is getting and why Yakupov is still on the Oilers roster shows they have no idea what they are doing. Yakupov is a bust and Nugent-Hopkins isn't much better.

19 hours ago, tho0505 said:

Larsson is a solid, young defenseman, who is still learning (23 years old).  Sure the Oilers save some salary, but Larsson is signed at $4.1/M a year for the next 4 years. They saved $2 million in cap per year.  

Made the homer in me worry about Dillon Simpson's future.  Dug into Larsson a little more yesterday - little offense, but still played 82 games last year at +15.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

If the Oilers were worried about cap space then they should have traded away Nugent-Hopkins to the Devils and not Hall. Nugent-Hopkins isn't worth the money Hall is getting and why Yakupov is still on the Oilers roster shows they have no idea what they are doing. Yakupov is a bust and Nugent-Hopkins isn't much better.

Exactly.  For Hall's production, leadership, and not too bad of a cap hit, he's got great value. Why trade him away if you are looking for cap space? 

12 minutes ago, tho0505 said:

Exactly.  For Hall's production, leadership, and not too bad of a cap hit, he's got great value. Why trade him away if you are looking for cap space? 

Not completely disagreeing with you - I really like Hall, but you need someone that will trade with you as well.  Sounds like NJD said Hall or nothing.

4 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Is that the site to watch this play out?  I'm pretty new to this off season stuff...

That is an AWESOME site if you want to look at teams salary cap situations, player's contracts and salaries, etc.  But to watch today's action I'd check out NHL.com, TSN.ca, ESPN.com and best of all, Twitter.

23 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

What would be the smartest thing EDM could do with $2 million from that? Sign Matt Cullen and Matt Greene. Get some maturity (and PK) into that room to help McDavid mature into a leader. 

Not sure on Greene but don't think Cullen would consider Edmonton. Listened to him talk to Russo on KFAN the other day and sounds like he really wants to be back in Pittsburgh and will wait for them to try to find some cap space for him. Russo made it seem like if that didn't work out the Wild would be the other option for Cullen.