SiouxSports.com Forum

Past use of logos at UND

GeauxSioux

10 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Anyone remember this Logo, used to hang on the east wall inside the Field-house. 

This picture was taken at the time President John F. Kennedy was here.

kennedy und sioux (1).jpg

Notice Home of UND Sioux, no fighting in the wordage. I've talked this over with many alumni over the years and we don't remember the word Fighting to have been used with Sioux when we went to UND. Was hanging at least into the early to mid 70's.

Pretty large, maybe this was a gift to UND?

It looks like it was painted directly onto the windows on the east side of Hyslop.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HawksHoops said:

It looks like it was painted directly onto the windows on the east side of Hyslop.  

I would think you are right. Those are glass block. Does anyone else remember this, or did the paint get removed? or even the large windows get removed. I will drive by today.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I vaguely remember something like that being on those windows in the 70's 

It looks like something some students created as opposed to any official logo.  It reminds me of high school when the cheerleaders would decorate the gym with varying degrees of artistic talent.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sundog said:

It looks like something some students created as opposed to any official logo.  It reminds me of high school when the cheerleaders would decorate the gym with varying degrees of artistic talent.

I would agree it was not an official logo, this was probably a one and done, but stayed there for years. I just talked to an alumni from Strasburg, ND that I went to a lot of BB games with. We both remember the image and that clock (Worlds Most Trusted Watch), and never seen it duplicated anywhere else. We vaguely remember something like a story about the creation by an outside source, not students - could be wrong on that.

48 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I would agree it was not an official logo, this was probably a one and done, but stayed there for years. I just talked to an alumni from Strasburg, ND that I went to a lot of BB games with. We both remember the image and that clock (Worlds Most Trusted Watch), and never seen it duplicated anywhere else. We vaguely remember something like a story about the creation by an outside source, not students - could be wrong on that.

Kind of fun to look back - I remember the clock also.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Anyone remember this Logo, used to hang on the east wall inside the Field-house. 

This picture was taken at the time President John F. Kennedy was here.

kennedy und sioux (1).jpg

Notice Home of UND Sioux, no fighting in the wordage. I've talked this over with many alumni over the years and we don't remember the word Fighting to have been used with Sioux when we went to UND. Was hanging at least into the early to mid 70's. I also remember that clock.

Pretty large, maybe this was a gift to UND?

This pic was not there 70-74, but the clock was.  JFK killed in 63, so that pic was well before the 70s

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sundog said:

This, its not a "logo" persay just a representation, and to be honest, a poor artistic representaion of a version of the logo used in the 50's.

It may have stayed on the glass for awhile but in all my research, this representation has not been visible or common, or replicated in this form.

Similar generalized representations where common on banners, frat house events, floats, and snow sculptures during the KKK and follies years.

Thats "King Kold Karnival"...... btw.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This, its not a "logo" persay just a representation, and to be honest, a poor artistic representaion of a version of the logo used in the 50's.

It may have stayed on the glass for awhile but in all my research, this representation has not been visible or common, or replicated in this form.

Similar generalized representations where common on banners, frat house events, floats, and snow sculptures during the KKK and follies years.

Thanks for your input. Do you remember UND using the word fighting in front of Sioux when you went to UND?

56 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Thanks for your input. Do you remember UND using the word fighting in front of Sioux when you went to UND?

I always thought they added the "Fighting" to the name in the 60's sometime.  Possibly the reason this mural was removed as they added Fighting to the name a few years after this photo was taken.  Not saying that is what happened.  Just speculation.

3 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Well now hold on there a minute big fella.... talking to myself.....

after jogging my memory a bit more on this logo "style" I need to correct...myself....   something about it seemed a bit familiar yet not.

More elaboration is needed

For a time in the 1960 the football team DID use a logo like this that I referenced. the window art IS a poor representation.

The logo be referenced really didn't have a uniform look but the general theme was kept.

Examples:

20190213_133919.jpg

20190213_140034.jpg

Non standardized variations of this type where used, I believe at one time on the shoulders of the football jerseys, in the 80's if I remember right. I believe thay can be seen in the PBS documentary, "When they were Kings" or something... iirc

11 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Related image

Same 3 windows on the west side.

North Side in pic below

Image result for University of North Dakota Fieldhouse

It really is a shame that UND didn't renovate Hyslop.  The place would have had a fell like Cameron Indoor!!  Don't get me wrong, the Betty is great.  But I like that notalgic look of the Hyslop with the brick exterior and those big windows!

• Upvote 2

• 8 months later...
45 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Just saw the old Fighting Sioux signage that went around the old scoreboard is now for sell. I imagine these will go for a pretty penny and assume none of it will go to support other athletic programs?

Since when is it the men’s hockey team’s job to bail out everyone else?