SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U diaries

Vegas_Sioux

Has NDSU pulled off the Grand Slam in the Summit?
OK, even the Trifecta (as the Summit) doesn't have football. 

Surely NDSU has won DI conference regular season titles in FB, MBB, WBB, and WVB all in the same academic year ... like UND just completed the Grand Slam in the DI Big Sky ... with the kicker of being the reigning NCAA DI men's ice hockey champions. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Surely NDSU has won DI conference regular season titles in FB, MBB, WBB, and WVB all in the same academic year ... like UND just completed the Grand Slam in the DI Big Sky ... with the kicker of being the reigning NCAA DI men's ice hockey champions. 

Could be wrong but don't believe the byzun have ever won a D1 natty in ice hockey (maybe won a club team natty perhaps?).

8 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Could be wrong but don't believe the byzun have ever won a D1 natty in ice hockey (maybe won a club team natty perhaps?).

Forget my "kicker": Has NDSU ever pulled off a conference Trifecta or Grand Slam? 

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

NDSU Basketball.... 19 wins not bad. Scheels Arena built for a move up to better conference. Student housing being built by Scheels arena. Last few years have been very good. Being mediocre is not in there DNA. Comment after last year by Bison coach about A J Jacobson we need to get more out of A J. ND Class A all time leading scorer. He needs to get more aggressive. He needs to go from 12 points per game to 18 . Spend the next 7 months shooting an extra I hour a day. I hope he has a great senior season but UND wins. Seems like a nice kid. 

That he isn't.

3 hours ago, moser53 said:

NDSU Basketball.... 19 wins not bad. Scheels Arena built for a move up to better conference. Student housing being built by Scheels arena. Last few years have been very good. Being mediocre is not in there DNA. Comment after last year by Bison coach about A J Jacobson we need to get more out of A J. ND Class A all time leading scorer. He needs to get more aggressive. He needs to go from 12 points per game to 18 . Spend the next 7 months shooting an extra I hour a day. I hope he has a great senior season but UND wins. Seems like a nice kid. 

Aanen Moody now holds that title, a future Fighting Hawk

3 hours ago, moser53 said:

Can verify that he is a quality kid. He does deliveries for our the company I work for in the summer.

A week ago one of the television stations did a story about the successes of the Fargo Moorhead and Grand Forks  colleges in basketball this year.  Moorhead men and women, NDSU men, and the UND men and women.   A week later the Moorhead men and women lost in the first round of the NSIC tourney.  The NDSU men didn't win the Summit regular season title.  The NDSU women lost in the first round of the tournament and the NDSU men lost in the first round of the Summit tourney.  The UND men and women both won  the Big Sky titles.   Hopefully UND doesn't follow the same path as the other schools  and wins some games in the Big Sky tourney. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I doubt NDSU has ever won all the conference D1 titles in the same year.   Their women's  basketball team hasn't been very good.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You must mean the SHAC, not Scheels (hockey) Arena. 

Ya SHAC and Moody thanks. You get so use to seeing the names Scheels and Sanford on everything. When are you The Sicatoka going to start putting your name on buildings. And revival your real name..... Warren ......Warren Buffett. The truth will come out. 

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

I doubt NDSU has ever won all the conference D1 titles in the same year.   Their women's  basketball team hasn't been very good.

NDSU women's basketball hasn't won a regular season title since 1997, and hasn't reached the NCAA tournament since 2004 (lost to UND in the DII regional). DI hasn't been kind to them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moser53 said:

Ya SHAC and Moody thanks. You get so use to seeing the names Scheels and Sanford on everything. When are you The Sicatoka going to start putting your name on buildings. And revival your real name..... Warren ......Warren Buffett. The truth will come out. 

Buffett? I wish. 

1 hour ago, Northcountry said:

Actually, winning a regular season conference championship is a VERY big deal as it has to be done over the course of the season and requires a level of consistency that illustrates a team's true nature.  Tournament time is fun because of the "one and done" nature and requires focus and intensity over the course of each and every game, with no room for error.  To say the regular season doesn't mean squat if the team fails to reach the tournament prize is a great disservice to the effort and sacrifice required to achieve a regular season title.  It's hard to control a one-time effort and as IUPUI showed, a one-time top effort can be a great equalizer.  Let's hope our hockey team can make up for a less than stellar regular season by putting maximum effort and intensity into the playoffs.

I agree.  Don't downplay our men and women's basketball teams winning the Big Sky.  That is a big accomplishment.  Obviously it would be great to Dance but it would be the icing on the cake. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Northcountry said:

Actually, winning a regular season conference championship is a VERY big deal as it has to be done over the course of the season and requires a level of consistency that illustrates a team's true nature.  Tournament time is fun because of the "one and done" nature and requires focus and intensity over the course of each and every game, with no room for error.  To say the regular season doesn't mean squat if the team fails to reach the tournament prize is a great disservice to the effort and sacrifice required to achieve a regular season title.  It's hard to control a one-time effort and as IUPUI showed, a one-time top effort can be a great equalizer.  Let's hope our hockey team can make up for a less than stellar regular season by putting maximum effort and intensity into the playoffs.

At the end of the day it's all about the dance. Can't find better advertising than that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

In fairness to the bizons, mbb, W soccer , and W softball have pulled a trifecta.  Wbb is lower attended now than those other women's sports so it doesn't count.  VB isn't doing much better, after their raging feminazi assist AD fired their male coach.

I'm not buying that women's softball is a major sport. If you count any sport a school offers there have probably been plenty of multiple championships by one school in a yeaer. This is something because it is the four biggest and most popular college sports. 

P.S Doesn't get much better than SU losing both and UND winning two conference championships on the same weekend. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I'm not buying that women's softball is a major sport. If you count any sport a school offers there have probably been plenty of multiple championships by one school in a yeaer. This is something because it is the four biggest and most popular college sports. 

It was said in jest to mock those bisonville knuckleheads for spouting off how great they are.

4 hours ago, Northcountry said:

Let's be careful not to temper expectations too much. Yes, winning a regular season title is a big deal, but winning a tournament championship and reaching the dance is FAR MORE IMPORTANT due to exposure potential with the NCAA tournament. I know I may be going too far with this, but just to illustrate a point, UND shouldn't cancel their plans to attend Reno and the BSC tournament. Jones and his team need to execute under pressure AND expectations (they are the #1 seed, in fact) and win the conference tournament or else, essentially, they have choked. You can't set half-way goals and expect for the entirety of accomplishments to happen. Raise expectations a bit and expect the #1 seed UND Fighting Hawks to represent the Big Sky Conference as the #1 Big Sky Conference team in the NCAA tournament. 

EDIT: Oh, and lastly, let's not try to raise NDSU on a pedestal by saying their 20+ point loss to IUPUI was just a fluke. NDSU put themselves in a position to lose badly and that happened. UND shouldn't let that happen at the conference tournament or else they too (coaches and/or players) deserve some level of constructive criticism. 

• Upvote 2

I was looking for college hockey on TV last night (there was Minn/Mich but that's just the B1G ;):D , and it wasn't much of a game) so I flipped over to Midco and watched Oo-whee-poo-whee and NDSU. IUPUI just bottled NDSU up with defense and I think I saw NDSU get one rebound in the last 15 minutes of the game. And NDSU couldn't throw it into the ocean. They were missing lay-ups. I almost felt badly for them ... almost. ;).

• Upvote 3

NDSU has been playing like dogs sheet the last month.  That squad got run over by many teams that the bizon beat earlier. Without Dexter, they will be bottom dwellers until they get some legitimate help in the paint.  Maybe they can play in the North Star and give Mayville some competition.

The wbb teams has fallen so off the radar that bizons don't even discuss them or go to their games anymore.  Thats why women's softball and soccer are exalted by the bizons.

But Khy Kabbelis twisted his ankle and couldn't hardly walk a day ago, so that is the excuse Richman gave for leaving a buffalo pie on the court.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:30 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Let's be careful not to temper expectations too much. Yes, winning a regular season title is a big deal, but winning a tournament championship and reaching the dance is FAR MORE IMPORTANT due to exposure potential with the NCAA tournament. I know I may be going too far with this, but just to illustrate a point, UND shouldn't cancel their plans to attend Reno and the BSC tournament. Jones and his team need to execute under pressure AND expectations (they are the #1 seed, in fact) and win the conference tournament or else, essentially, they have choked. You can't set half-way goals and expect for the entirety of accomplishments to happen. Raise expectations a bit and expect the #1 seed UND Fighting Hawks to represent the Big Sky Conference as the #1 Big Sky Conference team in the NCAA tournament. 

EDIT: Oh, and lastly, let's not try to raise NDSU on a pedestal by saying their 20+ point loss to IUPUI was just a fluke. NDSU put themselves in a position to lose badly and that happened. UND shouldn't let that happen at the conference tournament or else they too (coaches and/or players) deserve some level of constructive criticism. 

I'm not trying to temper expectations, what I am trying to say is that regular season and playoff season are different and neither should be regarded as "squat" in regards to the other.  We are a winner-oriented society and tend to regard only the ultimate 'winner' as worthy of praise.  At what level of achievement do we say "well done" to a team and program instead labeling as "choke" falling short of that ultimate goal.  We sometimes forget that the other team is trying too and that they may have some talent as well.