SiouxSports.com Forum

ArchyAlum11

7 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

A bunch of people over the last couple of years have brought up the fact that you talk about NDSU a lot more than anyone on this board other than the NDSU apologists. This isn't anything new. I don't know why you seem so surprised.

I have toned it down quite a bit while others are posting more and more about NDSU (just look at this thread the NDSU logo is almost 2 pages), if you think NDSU will never be brought up on a message board of their rival you're crazy. I understand there are threads it shouldn't be brought up (like this one...so much for that) but in other threads it will be talked about. It's funny to see NDSU brought up in hockey threads, since they don't have hockey but I am sure those posters get ripped on correct ;).

34 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So if someone brings up NDSU I will not be allowed to respond, as in the case of GeauxSioux's little rant on another thread.  Whatever. 

I think you need some work on your verbs.

Challenge...invite (someone) to engage in a contest:

Rant... speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way

Now which one did I do?

7 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

I think you need some work on your verbs.

Challenge...invite (someone) to engage in a contest:

Rant... speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way

Now which one did I do?

I challenge you not to respond to any of my posts.

• Upvote 1

Changing the subject(hopefully), I wonder if the logo will be released soon or they'll wait until students come back. They have it down to 2 so if someone can hack into either president schaefer's or SME's email that would be appreciated. I doubt we'll ever see the rejected logos but I, for one, would really like to.

23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Changing the subject(hopefully), I wonder if the logo will be released soon or they'll wait until students come back. They have it down to 2 so if someone can hack into either president schaefer's or SME's email that would be appreciated. I doubt we'll ever see the rejected logos but I, for one, would really like to.

Ed said either June 30th or when the kids come back. I hope its June 30th.

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

I still can't tell what it truly is. Looks like an outline of a hawk.  I always felt like this looked like a cherry pie. How on earth would this make it past approval?!

UND Fighting Hawks vs the DU HawkPies. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tho0505 said:

I still can't tell what it truly is. Looks like an outline of a hawk.  I always felt like this looked like a cherry pie. How on earth would this make it past approval?!

I'm not sure if you were kidding or not, but it's a Red-Tail Hawk, and plays off a Daniel Boone-ish "Pioneer" hat.

I always thought this debate was rather funny lol

http://www.denverpost.com/2013/06/04/du-pioneers-mascot-denver-boone-at-center-of-controversy/

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm not sure if you were kidding or not, but it's a Red-Tail Hawk, and plays off a Daniel Boone-ish "Pioneer" hat.

I always thought this debate was rather funny lol

http://www.denverpost.com/2013/06/04/du-pioneers-mascot-denver-boone-at-center-of-controversy/

The colors are not representative of a RT, although I know that's what it is supposed to be.  Not sure how the artist came up with that,  but I'd have hired someone else.  It is somewhat similar to a harris hawk,  but that's the only hawk even remotely close.

Suppose if an RT was flattened by an 18 wheeler,  those colors might come together in rearranged order. But then if you have to fit Denver maroon into a hawk,  you better use a harris, but that's probably not found in Colorado.

55 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Wow . . . a pioneer mascot is racist?  Vikings, Bucaneers, Raiders, etc. were all known for killing and stealing, but somehow they are OK?

Forget it, I just can't wrap my head around this situation anymore.

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I believe the phrase 'slippery slope' is applicable here

Precisely.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Someone say "terrible logo"? 

2465.gif

I always loved this.  The uber-PC career academia nut Prez of DU who came up with the idea of an eagle cracking its way out of its egg as being the "Pioneer Spirit" really takes the cake.  I always like how Gwoz took this off of the hockey jerseys in place of DU and after a couple of years, you couldn't find this abomination anywhere around the hockey rink.  Just awful.  

12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Now, to put the fear into everyone who's disparaged the DU logo, it was a ... hawk. Or at least how a big, east coast PR firm sees ... a hawk. 

Do we have any hats in our history? Ugh. Shivers, meet spine.

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I have toned it down quite a bit while others are posting more and more about NDSU (just look at this thread the NDSU logo is almost 2 pages), if you think NDSU will never be brought up on a message board of their rival you're crazy. I understand there are threads it shouldn't be brought up (like this one...so much for that) but in other threads it will be talked about. It's funny to see NDSU brought up in hockey threads, since they don't have hockey but I am sure those posters get ripped on correct ;).

Huge difference between NEVER and someone who brings it into a majority of their conversations. The perception is that you bring it into a majority of your conversations. Whether it is actually a majority or not, that is the perception and perception becomes reality.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Ed said either June 30th or when the kids come back. I hope its June 30th.

I would bet June 30th if for no other reason than I think Ed wants this to be wrapped up by the time the new president takes over. Besides Ed know that the logo probably isn't going to get a very positive reception, unless the Firm they hired did something really out of the box, which I doubt, I think that its better if people have the chance to react and get most of the initial Bile out of their system before school and football season starts.

• Upvote 1

On June 10, 2016 at 5:14 PM, DaveK said:

In defense of darell1976, so what if he comes off as being somewhat preoccupied with NDSU?  One poster here is, to put it mildly, preoccupied with the Penguins. What makes it so accepted to constantly bring up the Penguins when this one individual is being given such a hard time for constantly bringing up NDSU? Seems like a double standard but maybe that's just my opinion.

Mod edit:  Post fixed for accuracy purposes.  ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, DaveK said:

Really? Comparing being obsessed with a team because you love them to being obsessed with a team because you hate them?

C'mon, Mafia Man, I know you can do better than that. That was extremely weak.

C'mon, Dave, I'm not sure what burr has gotten under your saddle, but you have some awfully think skin if that comment bothers you that badly.  Wow.

As far as obsessions go, have you seen GPL lately?  UND is in about 8 or 9 threads at the moment - including a stretch of the Twins one. Evidently, some locals are upset about the team honoring UND's hockey team a while back and a Twins-hat-in-UND-colors promo coming up July 1st.

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:22 AM, Teeder11 said:

I was lucky enough to sit in on one of the aforementioned (in the article) focus groups, and I told the reps from SME that I came into the setting with a fair amount of skepticism (mind you, more of an open mind but not cynicism) as to what they'd come up with for the "Three Directions" that they were headed. After seeing the directions, I told them I was surprised that "I did not hate" the basic concepts they revealed as far as primary logo, secondary logo and Word Mark logo.  The SME boss told me that, in his business, my sort of reaction could be called a victory for them, especially given the conviction, angst and controversy surrounding the old logo and the transition.

Knowing what your paradigm has been throughout the nickname debacle (relatively forward-thinking, if begrudgingly), your wording does not make me over-hopeful. Now, I realize that if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't come on here and praise it either (even if I loved it), for fear of the lynching when it is rolled out.