SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Volleyball season

dmksioux

20 hours ago, Dustin said:

I agree. But if the play from the last two matches continues, they will be dancing. Maybe even knock off a first round NCAA opponent. 

If they keep playing the way they have been they're in great shape for a trip to the NCAA's. They'll have to win, it'll take an RPI in the 40's for an at-large bid and UND is currently 137, although it's guaranteed to go up, NAU was 97 and NAU was 118. If UND wins they are likely to get the Gophers in the first round, but having played them earlier in the season might be enough to avoid a first round match up. 

The NCAA is big on avoiding flights in the first two rounds, if at all possible . And I see that U of M is already anticipating hosing the first two rounds. Which means a bus trip to the cities.

On 11/13/2016 at 8:23 PM, SiouxVolley said:

UND averaged 1108 people per match, and we didn't have any other Dakota schools at home.

Pretty classy that Pryor thanked Ashlee Hardee for laying the groundwork for the program.

I remember my first year on campus (2009) and going to a volleyball game where everybody freaked out that the attendance broke 700 people, then 900 and I think the last game for the Great West title against USD they had their first 1000 crowd (I forget if it was at the Betty or ever). 

Despite the way he went out, Hardee did a lot of great work to build that program.  Pryor has seemed to keep the momentum going.  Lets hope they cash in this weekend.  Can't help to think of how great this team could be next year as well. They both have done a good job of recruiting both NoDak and Minnesota (both outstate and metro).

15 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I remember my first year on campus (2009) and going to a volleyball game where everybody freaked out that the attendance broke 700 people, then 900 and I think the last game for the Great West title against USD they had their first 1000 crowd (I forget if it was at the Betty or ever). 

Despite the way he went out, Hardee did a lot of great work to build that program.  Pryor has seemed to keep the momentum going.  Lets hope they cash in this weekend.  Can't help to think of how great this team could be next year as well. They both have done a good job of recruiting both NoDak and Minnesota (both outstate and metro).

It be kind of neat to contemplate UND attendance with a rated team.  Wichita St, Northern Iowa and even Creighton have had highly rated teams and drew several thousand.  Think UND would max out at 2000 average.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

It be kind of neat to contemplate UND attendance with a rated team.  Wichita St, Northern Iowa and even Creighton have had highly rated teams and drew several thousand.  Think UND would max out at 2000 average.

To date, UND is 43rd in average attendance in 2016 at 1,108.  They lead all Big Sky and Summit schools.  But it would be nice to approach 2K and be in the top 25 like the schools you mention.  Would possibly be a big recruiting tool as well.

33 minutes ago, lawkota said:

To date, UND is 43rd in average attendance in 2016 at 1,108.  They lead all Big Sky and Summit schools.  But it would be nice to approach 2K and be in the top 25 like the schools you mention.  Would possibly be a big recruiting tool as well.

Is there a link to 2016 NCAA volleyball attendance?

On 11/14/2016 at 8:44 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Anyone remember when UND played in the mini-gym upstairs in the Hyslop. We've come a long ways...

I seem to recall the first game over 1000 was against NJIT, back when UND was in the Great West, I think Steve B called them the New Jersey Institute of Trucking, or something like that. :lol:

Very cool that Prior referenced Hardee, he did a lot of good for the program. Regardless of his unfortunate exit, he left the program WAY, WAY better than when he arrived. Coaches talk about "bettering the ball," he definitely bettered the program.

8 hours ago, lawkota said:

Big Sky awards announced:

Dooley, Moser, Merseli and Griffin are 1st team All-Conference.

Merseli is Top Newcomer

Griffin Most Valuable Player

Only 4 non-seniors made the 12-person 1st team, and 3 of them are UND players.

Congratulations to these UND athletes!!

Very cool that UND is sweeping the awards.

Next year could be very special.  But then again, this year already is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Next year could be very special.  But then again, this year already is.

Moser will be be tough to replace, but the fact that everyone else comes back does make next year a big one.  Especially since next year I'd bet 4 players in rotation will be seniors.  I would like Pryor to get some of our younger players some more time, because going to be a lot to replace after next year.  Volleyball just is a tough sport to do that though.

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Moser will be be tough to replace, but the fact that everyone else comes back does make next year a big one.  Especially since next year I'd bet 4 players in rotation will be seniors.  I would like Pryor to get some of our younger players some more time, because going to be a lot to replace after next year.  Volleyball just is a tough sport to do that though.

Jordan Vail and Grace Bettenga seemed to get playing time in non-conference action, but didn't in conference play.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Jordan Vail and Grace Bettenga seemed to get playing time in non-conference action, but didn't in conference play.

The Vail one is strange, because she has best hops on team.  I suppose with Moser leaving it will open a middle spot for her.

8 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The Vail one is strange, because she has best hops on team.  I suppose with Moser leaving it will open a middle spot for her.

Vail and Griffin just could not get in sync. It was pretty embarrassing in some of those early games. Hopefully they can get that figured out for next year. 

The No. 2 ranked University of Minnesota volleyball team came back from a 2-0 deficit and trailed 23-20 in the third set to come back and defeat No. 1 Nebraska in five sets Wednesday night, 21-25, 22-25, 28-26, 25-17, 17-15. The win was in front of a sellout crowd of 5401 at the Sports Pavilion. Minnesota improves to 24-4 overall, 16-3 in the Big Ten, and remains undefeated at home.

The good news is that UND beat Minnesota in one set earlier this season in the same venue, so they've got good "real world" experience. Like siouxvolley said, that pod is extremely strong with volleyball tradition. Anything UND can learn from being there will be a boon for the future.