SiouxSports.com Forum
GeauxSioux

Things to do in GF

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You mean like ignore them so they can be ushered out of town safely instead of having 100+ people show up, turn the whole thing into a spectacle that causes the end result of the animal being put down? And I've seen tons of deer in town and not once heard of one being euthanized so I'm not sure why that's being tossed out there. Little bit of a difference between a bear and deer, one is a legitimate public safety hazard, the other might run into a car.

My point is that the city does not know how to deal with situations like this. They were making it up as they go along. Either tranquilize the bear or shoot it dead. Have the necessary equipment and supplies on hand so we can deal with it properly next time. It should never have dragged on as long as it did. And people should give the authorities a wide berth to deal with things like this. Generally, bears don't want anything to do with humans, but they can and will lash out if they feel cornered or threatened.

39 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just annoyed by the fake outrage.   I wonder what the reaction would have been had the bear mauled and kid a small child!!  

This is the precise reason people shouldn't gather like they did and gawk at the situation. Wild animals are capable of anything, especially if they feel cornered.

30 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My point is that the city does not know how to deal with situations like this. They were making it up as they go along. Either tranquilize the bear or shoot it dead. Have the necessary equipment and supplies on hand so we can deal with it properly next time. It should never have dragged on as long as it did. And people should give the authorities a wide berth to deal with things like this. Generally, bears don't want anything to do with humans, but they can and will lash out if they feel cornered or threatened.

Per the Herald: Officers don’t carry animal tranquilizers because the medications require specific licensing and training. Seems like an unneeded expense for something that maybe happens every couple years at most.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of "plan" you want them to have. They have 3 options (shoo, sedate or shoot) and have to weigh each situation as it goes. It went on as long as it did because they tried remove it on its own accord, which is the obvious first option even if it takes some time. They were unable to do that because of the crowd of people that basically treed the bear and kept it there. When that didn't work, they needed to find someone that had the proper sedatives, which didn't work, so they had to call someone from the Fargo zoo that had the right mixture. And again, because of the crowds, they needed to be overly cautious so that it didn't attack someone while the sedative kicked in. The outrage if they would have flat out shot it without trying to save it would have been over the top, but I guess that would have saved everyone some time. :silly:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Per the Herald: Officers don’t carry animal tranquilizers because the medications require specific licensing and training. Seems like an unneeded expense for something that maybe happens every couple years at most.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of "plan" you want them to have. They have 3 options (shoo, sedate or shoot) and have to weigh each situation as it goes. It went on as long as it did because they tried remove it on its own accord, which is the obvious first option even if it takes some time. They were unable to do that because of the crowd of people that basically treed the bear and kept it there. When that didn't work, they needed to find someone that had the proper sedatives, which didn't work, so they had to call someone from the Fargo zoo that had the right mixture. And again, because of the crowds, they needed to be overly cautious so that it didn't attack someone while the sedative kicked in. The outrage if they would have flat out shot it without trying to save it would have been over the top, but I guess that would have saved everyone some time. :silly:

A good explanation of what happened..... although you should have typed a little slower for some.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Just annoyed by the fake outrage.   I wonder what the reaction would have been had the bear mauled and kid a small child!!  

Sheesh, the mauling would be bad enough....but then if the bear followed it up by cracking some jokes at the poor tot's expense...well, that would just be inexcusable. 

11 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Shoot the kid, save the bear.