SiouxSports.com Forum

Things to do in GF

GeauxSioux

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

http://www.grandforksherald.com/entertainment/music/4441932-organizers-contend-big-crowd-downtown-grand-forks-rock-show

Somewhere around 9,000 people attended a concert by the rock cover band Hairball on a closed-off block of North Third Street in downtown Grand Forks on Saturday night.

I didn't go, and I wouldn't have gone given I have no interest in glam cover bands, but that seems like one of the biggest 'events' GF has seen in a while.  Anyone there that can attest?  Was it an epic scene with that many people crammed into a few blocks?  How was parking and just getting around?

35 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/entertainment/music/4441932-organizers-contend-big-crowd-downtown-grand-forks-rock-show

I didn't go, and I wouldn't have gone given I have no interest in glam cover bands, but that seems like one of the biggest 'events' GF has seen in a while.  Anyone there that can attest?  Was it an epic scene with that many people crammed into a few blocks?  How was parking and just getting around?

I was down there and it was certainly packed.  Was quiet during the first couple acts starting at 5:00, but definitely picked up for the band before Hairball.  It was full sidewalk to sidewalk for 1 and 1/2 blocks down third.  We actually ended up watching from The Loft right next to the stage since we could open the window.  Could not hear that well, but have seen them many times and it was preferable to trying to fight that crowd.  Overall, it didn't appear that there were any issues with the crowd and I noticed there were even a couple kids (around 10) right at the front.  They didn't seem to be having any problems.  Crowd dispersed without issue in about 10 minutes.  I really appreciated the sponsors bringing an event like this to GF and hope they do it again.  It might have been preferable to use the Town Square because the crowd could have been spread out a bit move, but it was a great visual looking at the size of the crowd on Third.  That picture in the Herald from earlier in the evening doesn't do justice to what it looked like during Hairball.

5 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

We went and had a blast.  Hairball was awesome.  Lots of security and porta potties.  Did a nice job on social media of directing people to available parking. I saw 2 food vendors-Rhombus Pizza and Ground Round.  Maybe there were more and we just didn't see them.  It was very crowded on the block where the stage was set up. There were families and others hanging out in the back where there was more room.   

I hope they don't change it too much. It was one of the best downtown events the city has ever put on, and the first year numbers reinforce it.

Setting was great. If they want "more space" all they have to do is stretch the back past the Toasted Frog.

yeah...one of the best events ever downtown...the stage setup was crazy and the crowd was wall to wall...but it's hard to understand the "snow fence"...yes i guess you have to separate drinking from non drinking but they need to come up with a better idea that than crazy snow fence that ran for blocks and eventually became non-existent with people stepping over it and or tearing it down.

22 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

move stage to intersection where porta potties were and then can view from 3 directions.  make sure beer vendors more accessible.  Lines were short because so hard to get to.  

was thinkin the same thing...that would have been the perfect spot with better angles from three streets...i'm sure sarah and the gang will make some improvements for next year but heck yeah what a crowd down there

And the fence thing needs to go.  If for all ages no point in that.  Had to get a wrist band for booze anyways.  

The other weird part is the line to get in was over half a block long and people said they waited 30 to 45 minutes to get in and the concert had already started.

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

And the fence thing needs to go.  If for all ages no point in that.  Had to get a wrist band for booze anyways.  

The other weird part is the line to get in was over half a block long and people said they waited 30 to 45 minutes to get in and the concert had already started.

that snow fence was the dumbest thing ever...created bottlenecks and people were rippign it down anyways..

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

that snow fence was the dumbest thing ever...created bottlenecks and people were rippign it down anyways..

Not positive, but think city ordinance requires a physical barrier between alcohol consumption areas when not all attendees are 21+  

9 hours ago, northernraider said:

Not positive, but think city ordinance requires a physical barrier between alcohol consumption areas when not all attendees are 21+  

That's pretty much the standard most places ... "beer garden". 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/baseball/4442045-summer-collegiate-baseball-league-wants-expand-grand-forks

I would love to see this come to Grand Forks, but Kraft Field will need a lot of improvement! Nothing better then enjoyed a cold one on a hot day, while watching the boys of summer. Colleigete Summer League Baseball is pretty popular in Bismarck, Rochester, and Duluth. I would prefer Grand Forks to have an American Association team, but anything would be awesome. 

I hear there is a former college coach in the area ;)

Hope they book Hairball again for next year! I've seen them before last Saturday's concert and knew they wouldn't disappoint. 

Boy was it busy! I think the large attendance was due to students still here (spring fest), nice weather, and the fact it's just a bit early for the weekend lake people to head out of town. If they could figure out something along the river bank for next year that would be interesting. Even better, bring it back to U park! HA

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/baseball/4442045-summer-collegiate-baseball-league-wants-expand-grand-forks

I would love to see this come to Grand Forks, but Kraft Field will need a lot of improvement! Nothing better then enjoyed a cold one on a hot day, while watching the boys of summer. Colleigete Summer League Baseball is pretty popular in Bismarck, Rochester, and Duluth. I would prefer Grand Forks to have an American Association team, but anything would be awesome. 

I hear there is a former college coach in the area ;)

Didnt kraft host a summer wood bat league already... Channel Cats.

From what I remember it failed rather quickly.

1 hour ago, DB Cooper said:

Hope they book Hairball again for next year! I've seen them before last Saturday's concert and knew they wouldn't disappoint. 

Boy was it busy! I think the large attendance was due to students still here (spring fest), nice weather, and the fact it's just a bit early for the weekend lake people to head out of town. If they could figure out something along the river bank for next year that would be interesting. Even better, bring it back to U park! HA

Brick and Barley announced another concert for June 9th.  This one will be in the area/alley behind the restaurant with 32 Below playing.  Not sure if it's free or not.  Also not sure how much space is back there.  Either way, it looks like Brick and Barley is going to be looking to offer regular outdoor entertainment options, as long as they people attend.  

22 hours ago, northernraider said:

That seems dumb when under 21 year olds were INSIDE the fence.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The word you're forgetting is: illegally. ;) 

There were many “kids” as in 7-10 year olds that were inside of the fence...at all times of the show.  I stood next to a 7 or 8 year old, in the front row, for most of the Hairball show.  Kid new the bands and the words to most of the songs.  Rock will never die! :D

Point of the post is, the cops/security were allowing people under 21 into the “fenced off area.”