SiouxSports.com Forum

Budgets and Title IX

GeauxSioux

57 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Comparing UND athletic spending to competing schools

Interesting piece on schools and $$ spent on women's sports.

Among the six schools in this study, UND is the biggest spender on female athletic scholarships at $2,156,606. None of the five other schools spend more than $2,000,000 on female scholarship

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4027741-comparing-und-athletic-spending-competing-schools

Those undergraduate figures are important because one of the compliance factors of Title IX is to "provide participation opportunities for women and men that are substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students."

Per the article, based on UND's full-time undergraduate gender distribution (46.2% female), UND is perhaps spending an excessive percentage on female athletic scholarships at 50.5% of total athletics scholarship budget.  

For comparison, the article states NDSU has a full-time undergraduate female distribution of 43.6% and spends 38.9% of its athletic scholarship budget on female athletic scholarships. 

So, bottom-line, UND spends a greater relative percentage of total scholarship dollars whereas NDSU spends a lesser relative percentage. 

Theoretically speaking, if UND dropped the female scholarship budget by 4%, that would free up approximately $170,000; I know of several UND programs that could productively use that.....

• Upvote 2

It also should be noted that the 40 mens participants, mens coaching salaries and 5.5 mens scholarship cut were not taken into consideration for the future.

So the numbers in the article are obsolete and UND's already excessive Title IX compliance numbers will increase even more next year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

It also should be noted that the 40 mens participants, mens coaching salaries and 5.5 mens scholarship cut were not taken into consideration for the future.

So the numbers in the article are obsolete and UND's already excessive Title IX compliance numbers will increase even more next year.

Unless we go FBS, and then Title IX compliance will be right on.

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

bubba deserves a raise....a big raise.

That he does, however the men's basketball team has a problem that needs to be addressed, extension or new coach. money will be a playmaker in that decision.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I am going to file a lawsuit.  This school is sexist!

Save your money, or better yet donate it.  There sure seems to be a plan for some move with the men's in the UND athletic department!  Maybe this timing with this budget shortage is making it kind of awkward? Which like mentioned here before, might make UND publicly sound not interested at first. Maybe changes in football(FBS) and hockey (B1Ghc) will play out at the same time?

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

think the ocr will use links like this to prove that und isn't serious about women's sports....have a hard time believing that brady berry will listed as a junior next year? i'm sure hadju will have this fixed by noon tomorrow.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205178332&DB_OEM_ID=13500

You have the best grudges 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

maybe hadju saw my post and instantly went in and switched the men's coach to a freshman too to throw off the title IX people?? if so he owes me.

Or more factually, there is a glitch with Neulion that does that randomly.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

think the ocr will use links like this to prove that und isn't serious about women's sports....have a hard time believing that brady berry will listed as a junior next year? i'm sure hadju will have this fixed by noon tomorrow.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205178332&DB_OEM_ID=13500

I'm appalled that the women's golf coach is a sophomore while the men's coach is a freshman.  How dare they have a rookie men's head golf coach.   Thanks for pointing this out.  

I haven't heard any news since the Title IX people were digging into UND, I assume they haven't found nothing or else it would have hit the newsfeed by now. Also the Lameroux twins have been pretty silent lately, have they run out of crap to throw at their alma mater?

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It's nice to see a bank with only a small presence in GF become a major sponor.  The International Bank and Trust has major operations in the Bakken and other ND cities.  Thanks go out to the Stenehjems and their Watford City base.

what'd they do/donate?