SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 College Hockey (Non UND Hockey)

cberkas

28 minutes ago, joeyjr said:

I didn't mean about viewership or revenue .  .  . I mean pride and reverance. I would be a lot more proud to be a top 8 hockey team in a tournament with all the best teams than a top 30 football team that may (or may not) have even played a top team from one of the top conferences. The Pac12 has to be the what (I don't follow too closely) 3rd or 4th best conference and they are coming in around third place in a good year.

then 8-5, then 6-7, then 6-6, then 4-8, then 5-7

I get what you're saying now. Most of the alumni of big schools get more excited with bowl wins than they would losing in the hockey tournament, though, because football is a much bigger and more popular sport.The Pac12 has arguably been the deepest conference in college football for a few years now. Problem is they just haven't had anyone at the top of their conference that's been good enough to take it all. In reality, the power 5 conferences are a lot more similar in terms of strength than people like to think. Except the Big 12's defense. That's non-existant outside of TCU.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, GFG said:

I actually enjoy bowl games...if you don't want to watch you don't have to, but I love watching college football and enjoy the bowl games. Some of the games with "undeserving" bowl games turn out to be some of the best football games you see all year.

I understand I don't have to watch(I don't). That wasn't my point.

20 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Magness Arena is going to be renovated and expanded.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_29813111/pioneers-plan-remodel-home

and the rich (NCHC) keep getting richer. 

Odd to see Magness is only two years older than the Ralph.

Just having been to Tampa (and the X) I do wish the Ralph had more "concession space." (and I'm sure REA had a larger area for the bands to play)

The halls are tight walking around and there isn't much leisure area....in Tampa there was "standing bar areas" where I could scarf down my hotdog without getting constantly bumped into which was nice. To me that's the main thing getting outdated about the new Ralph: small, plain jane halls. 

Not to mention the "entire ice is a projector screen" as seen in Tampa (and other NHL arenas). And the scoreboard is quickly becoming outdated. :whistling:

30 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Just having been to Tampa (and the X) I do wish the Ralph had more "concession space." (and I'm sure REA had a larger area for the bands to play)

The halls are tight walking around and there isn't much leisure area....in Tampa there was "standing bar areas" where I could scarf down my hotdog without getting constantly bumped into which was nice. To me that's the main thing getting outdated about the new Ralph: small, plain jane halls. 

Not to mention the "entire ice is a projector screen" as seen in Tampa (and other NHL arenas). And the scoreboard is quickly becoming outdated. :whistling:

Yes, they have updated things that needed updating for recruits, but they also need to update those fan experience things you mentioned.  They still have the same laser show with the box goalie that they had when the arena opened.  Time to up the "wow" factor for the best fan experience.  They have fallen behind other top venues in that regard.  Glad they started with better cell phone amenities though.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yes, they have updated things that needed updating for recruits, but they also need to update those fan experience things you mentioned.  They still have the same laser show with the box goalie that they had when the arena opened.  Time to up the "wow" factor for the best fan experience.  They have fallen behind other top venues in that regard.  Glad they started with better cell phone amenities though.

15 years ago the arena was pretty much an exact mini NHL arena...not so much anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

15 years ago the arena was pretty much an exact mini NHL arena...not so much anymore. 

It's still one of the best arenas in the world, amateur or pro.  You're splitting hairs with your points.  Amalie Arena holds 8,000 more people then The Ralph so of course the hallways are going to be wider. Also, I've never heard of a hallway with marble floors being called plain jane before, thanks for the laugh :lol:

They've updated resolution on the scoreboard and the electronic strip separating the lower and upper bowl. They've updated the locker room and player areas to be nicer than the majority of NHL rinks.  The seats are still the most comfortable you'll sit in at any rink. I think you may be looking for things that aren't there.  Yes, the light show is a bit dated but I'm more interested in things that will get recruits to play hockey here. I loved the Amalie Arena light show but that's something you install to get butts in seats, the ralph already is sold out for the majority of games.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

It's still one of the best arenas in the world, amateur or pro.  You're splitting hairs with your points.  Amalie Arena holds 8,000 more people then The Ralph so of course the hallways are going to be wider. Also, I've never heard of a hallway with marble floors being called plain jane before, thanks for the laugh :lol:

They've updated resolution on the scoreboard and the electronic strip separating the lower and upper bowl. They've updated the locker room and player areas to be nicer than the majority of NHL rinks.  The seats are still the most comfortable you'll sit in at any rink. I think you may be looking for things that aren't there.  Yes, the light show is a bit dated but I'm more interested in things that will get recruits to play hockey here. I loved the Amalie Arena light show but that's something you install to get butts in seats, the ralph already is sold out for the majority of games.

Yes of course your points are accurate. 

Its also accurate to say the entire REA was first class when it first opened, and nothing really beat it (even NHL regardless of the size...comparable yes). But its not anymore. Sure its still the best college rink bar none. But Ralph didn't want to compare it to other college rinks.

Laser light show...and the scoreboard (regardless of higher resolution needing to be replaced because of fire/smoke) are quickly becoming outdated. 

Concourses would be wider as capacity increases....thats obvious. It's the "coves" and the not the "exact same inch by inch is the same all the way around" 

Of course its "splitting hairs." Never claimed the Ralph wasn't "awesome," but when Ralph Engelstad built the arena he was also "splitting hairs." Just pointing out things that will leave the arena behind someday, and don't kid yourself, the arena will "one day" be "outdated" without not only "underground renovations" but also "above ground renovations."

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Yes of course your points are accurate. 

Its also accurate to say the entire REA was first class when it first opened, and nothing really beat it (even NHL regardless of the size...comparable yes). But its not anymore. Sure its still the best college rink bar none. But Ralph didn't want to compare it to other college rinks.

Laser light show...and the scoreboard (regardless of higher resolution needing to be replaced because of fire/smoke) are quickly becoming outdated. 

Concourses would be wider as capacity increases....thats obvious. It's the "coves" and the not the "exact same inch by inch is the same all the way around" 

Of course its "splitting hairs." Never claimed the Ralph wasn't "awesome," but when Ralph Engelstad built the arena he was also "splitting hairs." Just pointing out things that will leave the arena behind someday, and don't kid yourself, the arena will "one day" be "outdated" without not only "underground renovations" but also "above ground renovations."

I recall sitting above the partially completed bowl of the first Ralph with Larry Drader, who played for the Sioux, watching the work being done and visualizing what it would be like when complete.  We were accustomed to the old barn and thought this new rink would never be outdated. 

• Upvote 2

I was just talking about it with my friend yesterday actually. I have a feeling REA will have the "ice" projection feature ready to go for the national title ceremony to open next season. It's a new technology that's just been utilized by most of those that are using it within the last couple of months. For some reason I think that it's going to be something they add to REA to up the "wow" factor next season. The scoreboard is definitely at the point of needing to be replaced if they want to keep up with a lot of the pro arenas, but overall it's still a very nice arena.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, burd said:

I recall sitting above the partially completed bowl of the first Ralph with Larry Drader, who played for the Sioux, watching the work being done and visualizing what it would be like when complete.  We were accustomed to the old barn and thought this new rink would never be outdated. 

15 years ago seemed like just yesterday.

But interestingly enough, the old ralph was only thirty years old when it was replaced. 

When a sports arena is owned by UND, it has shown a history of not doing the best to keep them up to date. 

Thankfully the Ralph isn't currently owned by UND yet. 

7 minutes ago, GFG said:

I was just talking about it with my friend yesterday actually. I have a feeling REA will have the "ice" projection feature ready to go for the national title ceremony to open next season. It's a new technology that's just been utilized by most of those that are using it within the last couple of months. For some reason I think that it's going to be something they add to REA to up the "wow" factor next season. The scoreboard is definitely at the point of needing to be replaced if they want to keep up with a lot of the pro arenas, but overall it's still a very nice arena.

Agreed. It's really only a matter of time for both. And I'm sure the "ice projection" will probably be done soon. 

2 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Listen to the sit down and cheer podcast with Jody Hodgson of REA....

They know what they are doing.

They will stay on the cutting edge, Ice projection among many things planned.

Thanks listening to it now. 

They have been great at keeping up/renovating the arena and I see no reason why it would change anytime soon. 

There isn't a lot they can do about the width of the concources, but in the upper deck they could use roped off areas at the concessions to funnel people in and out without them lining up vertically, not allowing the traffic to flow, and creating congestion.  Maybe that is against fire code, I don't know.  Also wonder if it is structurally possible to extend areas overlooking the lower deck in the concourse out toward the windows a bit to allow people to congregate out of the way a bit, and alleviate more traffic.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

With the budget cuts I don't think the University has the money to purchase the arena anyway :lol:It's privately owned and it will stay that way.

It is owned by a trust, and located on land owned by UND. The plan was to turn the facility over UND after 30 years. We are half way through that 30 year period. Things like the ability to sell alcohol may change the plan if that is better for UND. But UND will not have to purchase the arena.

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Also wonder if it is structurally possible to extend areas overlooking the lower deck in the concourse out toward the windows a bit to allow people to congregate out of the way a bit, and alleviate more traffic.

That's all I'm saving for the upper and lower. Would be nice to have a few "hang out areas" to "alleviate the traffic." 

Listening to the podcast "if I won the lottery"....Jody: "first would be the on ice projection system."

"People say I'm over the laser show." 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

with all the money the Ralph makes on beer and hockey tickets they need to update/make bigger the scoreboard (first thing first though, add a video board to the Betty).

9 hours ago, GDPritch said:

with all the money the Ralph makes on beer and hockey tickets they need to update/make bigger the scoreboard (first thing first though, add a video board to the Betty).

Installation on two of them starts in May and will be ready for next season.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

If you want a show, you go to Cleveland. I have been to a Monsters game and (unfortunately) a Cavs game because the Blue Jackets gave me free tickets. Their projection is insane, similar to Tampas but I don't think Tampas was 3D . . . or was it?