SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

45 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Surprising that they cut Men's Baseball after they got the biggest win in program history,

Yeah, Trev Alberts would have at least waited until they won the national championship.

UNO’s wrestling team won its third consecutive national championship on March 12. Hours later, Alberts told Denney by phone that the program was targeted for elimination.

UND needs to have football, basketball, cross country, tennis, indoor track and outdoor track to be a member of the Big Sky. After cutting baseball and golf, the only other men's sports are swimming and diving and hockey. As someone else noted, there are very few scholarships given to men's S&D. So the only sport left that would be a similar number of scholarships to women's hockey would be men's hockey. I doubt that they are going to cut men's hockey.

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Two sports are being cut I'm told

was told not sure but bye swimming and diving men's and women's 

2 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

chalk up another wrong answer....

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

Technically, he was right.  It was men's and women's S&D, but the %gobc sent out an emergency text to the Prez two minutes before his e-mail was sent out and BAM!  Baseball and golf instead!  :lol:

16 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

UND needs to have football, basketball, cross country, tennis, indoor track and outdoor track to be a member of the Big Sky. After cutting baseball and golf, the only other men's sports are swimming and diving and hockey. As someone else noted, there are very few scholarships given to men's S&D. So the only sport left that would be a similar number of scholarships to women's hockey would be men's hockey. I doubt that they are going to cut men's hockey.

The need to fully match the women's hockey cut with cuts on the men's side assumes things are even now. After today, I don't believe they're even. Also UND's student population is majority male, so the sports don't have to be evenly funded. 

I wonder if they looked at ways to cut down travel expenses, playing 30 road games to start the season every year will eat into your budget. Of course the SL would help with travel but !@#!$! I mean Douple didn't want us or UNC to join. 

48 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Anyone thinking women's hockey gets cut does know the realities of Title IX.  

I do know the realities of Title IX.

I also know that it was more than doable if we chose to do it.

Are you saying that it wasn't an option because of Title IX?

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The need to fully match the women's hockey cut with cuts on the men's side assumes things are even now. After today, I don't believe they're even. Also UND's student population is majority male, so the sports don't have to be evenly funded. 

I believe that women's hockey is fully funded, which means 18 scholarships. They didn't eliminate close to that number by cutting baseball and golf, and cutting the few scholarships given in men's S&D wouldn't get to that number. Women's hockey is not going anywhere.

1 minute ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I believe that women's hockey is fully funded, which means 18 scholarships. They didn't eliminate close to that number by cutting baseball and golf, and cutting the few scholarships given in men's S&D wouldn't get to that number. Women's hockey is not going anywhere.

Are women's basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, T&F, S&D, golf, and tennis all fully funded? 

33 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I do know the realities of Title IX.

I also know that it was more than doable if we chose to do it.

Are you saying that it wasn't an option because of Title IX?

Title IX also includes facilities access.  Having only men's hockey is a huge red flag for Title IX.  Also, Title IX is why Idalski gets paid so well relative to men's basketball and Jones.

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Are women's basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, T&F, S&D, golf, and tennis all fully funded? 

Basketball and volleyball are.  Soccer and softball have made big strides toward it.  Tennis is not fully funded, but that means scholarships go to foreign athletes like other Big Sky teams, which can be exclusively foreign.  Women's golf had more scholarships than men.  T &F and S&D should be approaching full funding now.  Don't know the latest numbers.

If we need to cut a lot of money we might as well have slashed men's and women's swimming at the same time. I'm not a huge fan of college sports that don't have many fans attend their events. I think it is a huge burden on the student fees and the tax payer to fund these unpopular programs. These are reasons why college debt is so high.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Basketball and volleyball are.  Soccer and softball have made big strides toward it.  Tennis is not fully funded, but that means scholarships go to foreign athletes like other Big Sky teams, which can be exclusively foreign.  Women's golf had more scholarships than men.  T &F and S&D should be approaching full funding now.  Don't know the latest numbers.

So the women's hockey scholarships don't all have to be cut. They can be reallocated. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Title IX also includes facilities access.  Having only men's hockey is a huge red flag for Title IX.  Also, Title IX is why Idalski gets paid so well relative to men's basketball and Jones.

Where are the Michigan, Michigan St, Miami, and Denver women's hockey teams? 

• Upvote 3

As unfortunate as it is, I'm glad the athletic department made an official announcement at a press conference and explained the reasoning not to mention doing it ahead when other budget cuts will be announced. Will be interesting to see what the other state school will do to address their required cuts,  especially after their first solution of raising student fees failed and they have no extra sports to cut. 

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I'm sure that not all of those are fully funded. Women's basketball has a max of 15, volleyball a max of 12, softball a max of 12, track and cross country a max of 18, S&D a max of 8.1, golf a max of 6, tennis a max of 8, soccer a max of 14, and hockey 18. That comes to a total of 111.1. The actual number of scholarships given out is probably under 100.

Men's scholarships include 13 for basketball, 63 for football, 12.6 for track, etc., 9.9 for S&D, 4.5 for tennis, and 18 for hockey. Total scholarships if fully funded equal 108. I don't believe that UND fully funds track, S&D or tennis, so this number is probably also under 100. For reference, baseball has a max of 11.7 scholarships and golf a max of 4.5, so UND cut a potential of 16.2 scholarships. They weren't both fully funded so the actual number is less than that.

But scholarships are only 1 small part of the Title IX factor. Another related item is actual numbers on the roster. Part of the test involves opportunities. Football has 63 scholarships, but rosters often have more than 100 during the season. Baseball allows 11.7 scholarships, but allows up to 35 on the roster. Total roster spots available and used is considered when looking at Title IX.

As SiouxVolley mentions, things like facilities, coaches and team related opportunities are a factor. Interests of the student body.are a factor. History of adding sports or opportunities (mainly for the underserved gender) are a factor. There are many more.

Cutting women's hockey would be very hard for several reasons. Scholarships is the obvious one since women's sports already have lower numbers than men. Fewer opportunities would be a negative factor. Facilities, especially women losing access to a facility like REA, would be a red flag. Cutting sports for an underserved gender would be a huge red flag.There is very little chance of cutting women's hockey unless much bigger financial problems come up, and cutting more men's sports would be included if that happened.