SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

23 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Not sure that gender makes my Top Ten.

1. Some years, due to weather/wetness, no home games until May.

2. Home game weather often iffy (cold, wind).

3. Too far from campus to draw casual students.

4. Too many day games to draw casual adults.

5. No marketing (unless you call the little two foot gameday sign on the ground at 17th & Columbia "marketing").

6. Not hockey.

7. Bizarre conference affiliations (NJIT?); too few quality (i.e., local/regional/traditional) rivalries.

8. No marquee alums (that I can name).

9. No recent winning tradition.

10. It's baseball, a notoriously fickle fan sport, and one that too few area parents wanted to immerse their kids in as spectators (based on personal observation over the years).

It's an unprofitable sport in an area of the country where it is greatly affected by weather. The long term viability of the sport just doesn't make sense up here. I want us to cut the fat and let the athletic department properly compensate staff so we can be more competitive in hiring quality talent in the major sports.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Csonked Out said:

It's an unprofitable sport in an area of the country where it is greatly affected by weather. The long term viability of the sport just doesn't make sense up here. I want us to cut the fat and let the athletic department properly compensate staff so we can be more competitive in hiring quality talent in the major sports.

Budget deficits. Conference requirements. Title IX. I understand. But if profitability is the criterion for elimination, we're probably down to men's hockey. And with more than a century as a UND collegiate sports, it's hard to argue baseball hasn't already demonstrated  "long term viability."