SiouxSports.com Forum

Faison Press Conference 4PM

SWSiouxMN

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It's too many women scholarships to replace.

This looks like it's paving the way for FBS, in getting rid of men's slots.

I'm leaning towards the amount those sports cost are pretty close to what is needed to cover FCOA.

It wouldn't have been hard to shift any cut scholarships from WS&D (~12) to the handful of sports that weren't fully funded.

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Call me a misogynist, but I sometimes wish we treated women's sports more like ndsu does....

It's not when you look at entertainment value and incoming revenue. I love the sport of hockey but I have never been a fan of Womens hockey. It's just not very entertaining and a money pit on top of that. 

Womens Volleyball- very entertaining to me. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

It's not when you look at entertainment value and incoming revenue. I love the sport of hockey but I have never been a fan of Womens hockey. It's just not very entertaining and a money pit on top of that. 

Womens Volleyball- very entertaining to me. 

So put the women's hockey team in Volleyball shorts ... problem solved.

ok, I'm sorry that was terrible :)

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I think it is up to the conference affiliation and not NCAA.  For example, BSU, UMD, & SCSU are all D2 except for hockey

Uh, no. Division affiliation is per the NCAA. See the NCAA Division I manual, I believe it is in section 20. 

4 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I think it's 7 men/ 7 women. 

3 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I think it is up to the conference affiliation and not NCAA.  For example, BSU, UMD, & SCSU are all D2 except for hockey

7 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

What is the minimum number of sports a D1 school must sponsor?

The NCAA Division I requires a minimum of either 7 men and 7 women, or 6 men and 8 women. They also require at least 2 team sports for each, and each has to have sports in fall, winter and spring. Other divisions have different requirements. Conferences also have their own requirements. The Big Sky requirements include 7 specific women sports and 6 specific men sports as a core.

The DII and DIII schools that play DI hockey are exceptions to a couple of different rules. There is no competition in Division II for hockey, therefore they are allowed to move up (I don't think they are allowed to compete down). In the past the NCAA allowed lower level schools to compete up in 1 sport in and 1 in women, with some exceptions like basketball or football. They have changed that rule, I know that schools like Colorado College are grandfathered in.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

They would have ZERO problem with that if they did it right.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ here but can you or someone else explain this? Seems like a grey area that NDSu has mastered but I have not yet seen someone break down how that would work.

Not surprising.  Sad though.  Here in Colorado, only two D1 baseball programs.  UNC and Air Force.  I enjoy a UNC game in a mildly better weather situation than North Dakota.   But it's a daily decision to go..  I don't plan in advance. 

9 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Not trying to be a smarta$$ here but can you or someone else explain this? Seems like a grey area that NDSu has mastered but I have not yet seen someone break down how that would work.

Mens sports were getting cut no matter what.  Understood.  Which ones was the question.

Womens hockey and some combo of mens sports would have been easy to do on the calculator for finances and title 9.....now and in the future.

This does nothing for the long term. 

I have a bad feeling one of these press conferences will need to happen again in the near future because we didnt do it right the first time. 

And that bugs the hell out of me.

• Upvote 3

Sucks, to say the least. Looking back, those sunny May afternoons at Kraft Field spent shivering under a blanket didn't often make the best memories, although I may always be the hero to my son for when I snared the foul ball, saving him from certain death.  ;)  The persistent "gentle breeze" from the north would often carry lazy balls into the trailer park, while chilling you to the bone.  To the couple dozen die-hards who were there for every game, my sympathies.  You earned my respect and symbolized the heart of Sioux Baseball.  It really was Grand Forks' best ticket that money didn't - or couldn't - buy.

• Upvote 1