SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2016 - 2017 Season

Frozen4sioux

22 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Haven't been here for quite some time (covers head).  Love my Gopher hockey and Bison football...WTF is a guy like me doing here?  Taking the high road and telling y'all congrats on a special season and especially the 'ship.  Been awhile and there isn't a more deserving program.   

Will be great to see the 2 going at it next year at Mariucci.  Maybe my team can find a way to make a 3rd meeting happen in March/April. 

Congrats again, enjoy, and have a great off-season!   

Who would have thunk it, a nice Gopher fan! Nice words and appreciated!

• Upvote 1

Much speculation and nothing can be for sure until the coaches know who is staying and who is leaving. Does anyone know anything about how to rate and in what order these recruits would come in, have any been eliminated or de-committed?

D: Bast, Poolman, Johnson, Evers, Kiersted, Peski, (are there others besides Tychonic?)

F: Jost, Yon, Mattson, Bowen, Hoff, Jones, Smith, Cakebread (sounds like he may be out of picture), 

F: Are all of these part of the future? Mismash, Keane, Adams, Hain and Senden

Are there other names besides goalie recruits that are not up there?

1 hour ago, mattim said:

Much speculation and nothing can be for sure until the coaches know who is staying and who is leaving. Does anyone know anything about how to rate and in what order these recruits would come in, have any been eliminated or de-committed?

D: Bast, Poolman, Johnson, Evers, Kiersted, Peski, (are there others besides Tychonic?)

F: Jost, Yon, Mattson, Bowen, Hoff, Jones, Smith, Cakebread (sounds like he may be out of picture), 

I will give this a whirl.

Poolman and Evers in, if Tucker or Keaton leave for some crazy reason . . . we will get another one

Jost, Hoff, Bowen, Mattson in, depending on LJ and Schmaltz are smith and jones.

Link to College Hockey Incs list of committments.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thompson? I'm gonna say it: He's not ready. He may think he is; the LAK may be afraid of him pulling a Vesey; but, he's not ready. 

Guessing Anaheim might care a little more!

• Upvote 2

Just putting a mock schedule together so it's easier to visualize next season.  Sorry if the spacing is a bit sloppy.

2016-17 Schedule

October 1st                                  vs. Manitoba?

October 7th/8th                            TBD (non-conference home series or Bemidji State?)

October 14th/15th                        TBD 

October 21st/22nd                       TBD (non-conference home series or Bemidji State?

October 28th/29th                        at UMD

November 4th/5th                        TBD (at Minnesota?)

November 11th/12th                    vs. Denver

November 18th/19th                    at St. Cloud State

November 25th/26th                    TBD (vs. Michigan State...assuming it was a home/home from last season)

December 3rd                              vs. Boston College at Madison Square Garden

December 9th/10th                      vs. Western Michigan

December 16th/17th                    OFF

December 23rd/24th                    OFF

December 31st/January 1st         TBD (non-conference road series?)

January 6th/7th                            at Omaha

January 13th/14th                        vs. Miami

January 20th/21st                        vs. UMD

January 27th/28th                        at Colorado College

February 3rd/4th                          vs. St. Cloud State

February 9th/10th                        TBD (Hall of Fame?)

February 17th/18th                      at Western Michigan

February 24th/25th                      vs. Omaha

March 3rd/4th                               at Miami

March 10th-12th                           NCHC Quarterfinals

March 17th/18th                           NCHC Frozen Faceoff (Minneapolis)

March 24th-26th                           NCAA Regionals (Fargo/Cincinnati/Manchester/Providence)

March 31st/April 1st                      OFF

April 6th/8th                                   NCAA Frozen Four (Chicago)

**Still need to fit in the Minnesota series (2), Bemidji State (2), Hall of Fame game (probably RPI), Union (1), and Canisius (2)

2 hours ago, mattim said:

Michael Mancinelli is an '01 forward. Obviously as a part of the future as he's only 14 right now. Hell, maybe he's accelerating :D

5 hours ago, joeyjr said:

Poolman and Evers in, if Tucker or Keaton leave for some crazy reason . . . we will get another one

Jost, Hoff, Bowen, Mattson in, depending on LJ and Schmaltz are smith and jones.

You think Bowen??? less than half a point per game in the BC league...

• Upvote 1

On April 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM, as15 said:

Assuming the Stecher and LaDue are the only early departures, I'd go with this lineup for next year:

Jost-Schmaltz-Boeser

Gersich-Johnson-Poganski

Janatuinen-Gardner-Wilkie

Olson-Simonson-Hoff

T. Poolman-Ausmus

Wolanin-Thompson

Shaw-C. Poolman/Evers

I'm thinkin this

jost schmaltz boeser

Wilkie gersich Poganski 

Olson gardner JJ 

Smith simo hoff

poolman ausmus

wolanin poolman

bast shaw

Johnson/tomek

6 hours ago, joeyjr said:

Smith is for sure coming and Jones is for sure not. He's a 2017-18 recruit. He was just named next season's captain for Penticton. 

So the attached images are who can be on the team next year. I suspect we lose a few players. Any thoughts on how I can improve the list? Insert OCD comments here. Yellow indicates NHL draft pick. Obviously we will have neither 21 forwards nor 13 defensemen. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 12.21.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 12.22.07 PM.png

52 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Strange.

I thought so too, but when I heard he might be brought in at defense I figured they just want to have some more depth that can be flexible in their positions.  Maybe they figure he will be a role player regardless, so another year in the BCHL isn't going to give him impact status. 

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

I thought so too, but when I heard he might be brought in at defense I figured they just want to have some more depth that can be flexible in their positions.  Maybe they figure he will be a role player regardless, so another year in the BCHL isn't going to give him impact status. 

Definitely could be.  I always pegged him being more of an offensive player, but you never know.  Another poster said that while his numbers were not great he was playing well.  The BCHL is a ridiculously high scoring league.  I was thinking another year of junior may help him get the minutes he needs but if we need bodies they'll obviously have to bring him in.  Yon went back another year and while he didn't tear up the USHL (which is a much stronger league compared to the BCHL) he did have a fairly good season.  20+ goals I believe.  He should come in and add some nice depth next year.