SiouxSports.com Forum

Winning a Natty ... what would it mean for Fighting Sioux

NoiseInsideMyHead

Winning a Natty ... what would it mean for Fighting Sioux  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What would winning the 2016 National Championship mean for the Fighting Sioux?

• Closure. A page turner...a proper burial of sorts. Acceptance is accelerated. UND and the Fighting Hawks move on with grace and dignity.
    • Invigorates the nickname loyal crowd...Sioux strong as ever. Divisions remain or worsen. Calls for new President Kennedy to take action.
    • Win or lose, nothing changes vis-a-vis the nickname.
    • Even with the win, I'm waiting for the new logo to decide whether there will be a noticeable change going forward.
    • None of the above.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I am definitely celebrating this Championship like everyone else.  I just wish the hockey people at UND would not be so afraid to offend the "Sioux Forever" fanbase (which is mostly hockey fans) and call this team, and others, by our new nickname.  During the rally last night, there was zero reference of "Fighting Hawks."  Now I can see why they might have stayed away from using it as many would have booed or jsut started a "Let's Go Sioux" chant.  But if the President, AD, and coaches can't even say the name of our new nickname, then there is zero chance that UND will ever transition to a new nickname.  People can resist change.  But those people shouldn't be the ones that are supposed to support it.

There was a Lets Go Sioux chant right away last night. Would not have been a good idea at all to reference fighting hawks last night, it would have just took away from the celebratory mood.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigGreyAnt41 said:

I think once there's a logo it'll be harder to avoid the new name.  Right now it seems forced to say "Fighting Hawks" but when the jerseys all have a new logo, it's on the ice, it's around the arena, the transition will start happening.

I suspect the hockey team jerseys will not display the fighting hawks new logo or name for some time or that any inclusion will be de-emphasized.

32 minutes ago, NDRPinLV said:

I suspect the hockey team jerseys will not display the fighting hawks new logo or name for some time or that any inclusion will be de-emphasized.

Notwithstanding all of the inevitable hype when the logo is announced, THIS will be the ultimate barometer of how UND really feels about SME's work.  If it's a home run, expect it sooner rather than later.  Anything less, you might be right.

I wonder…would it be a Title IX violation to put a crappy logo on the women's jerseys before the men's?

4 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Notwithstanding all of the inevitable hype when the logo is announced, THIS will be the ultimate barometer of how UND really feels about SME's work.  If it's a home run, expect it sooner rather than later.  Anything less, you might be right.

I wonder…would it be a Title IX violation to put a crappy logo on the women's jerseys before the men's?

When the new logo is revealed, you can either tip toe the rollout of using it or you can flood the market and embrace it full on and put it all over everything.  I think UND is smart and will do the later.  UND needs to stop being worried about offending the "Sioux Forever " crowd and just embrace it 100% and throw it all out there. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

When the new logo is revealed, you can either tip toe the rollout of using it or you can flood the market and embrace it full on and put it all over everything.  I think UND is smart and will do the later.  UND needs to stop being worried about offending the "Sioux Forever " crowd and just embrace it 100% and throw it all out there. 

Agree completely re: consumer goods.  The big difference is that team uni's come with a built-in excuse -- cost and delay -- that can be used to mask dissent and displeasure in certain quarters.