SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

• 3 weeks later...

U of Akron is offering buyouts for 47% of faculty.  That puts UND’s cuts in perspective.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/03/university-of-akron-offers-buy-out-to-47-percent-of-faculty.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Akron is going all in to become a STEM university.  The history, psychology, social justice departments, etc don’t stand a chance.

Kent St, Cleveland St and Youngstown St are all within a short drive.  Akron intends to be different.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Only posting this here because it was talked about on this thread:

Former UND chief of staff joins Kennedy in Colorado

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3826459-Former-UND-chief-of-staff-joins-Kennedy-in-Colorado

That commute just got even longer!!! :D

I'm no authority on a map of the United States, but I am pretty sure that anywhere in Texas is closer to Boulder CO than it is to Grand Forks ND.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Only posting this here because it was talked about on this thread:

Former UND chief of staff joins Kennedy in Colorado

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3826459-Former-UND-chief-of-staff-joins-Kennedy-in-Colorado

That commute just got even longer!!! :D

Its not what you know its who you know. I like Angelique,I worked with her on a few projects. She is now a VP of Strategic Initiatives, I wonder how well this is going to go over. She has a Masters in Theatre Arts.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, northernraider said:

USA Today released the 2018-2019 D1 fiance report earlier this week.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

UND ranked #110 nationwide in total revenue, but nearly 47% come from allocated funds. 

47% isn't bad, especially for an FCS or G5 school.  After throwing everything in excel, UND is at about 16.2 million in revenue (not counting allocated funds) which is good for 76th in the country out of 227.   This doesn't even count suit or concessions sales at the ralph.

25 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

47% isn't bad, especially for an FCS or G5 school.  After throwing everything in excel, UND is at about 16.2 million in revenue (not counting allocated funds) which is good for 76th in the country out of 227.   This doesn't even count suit or concessions sales at the ralph.

Agreed. While all numbers in the report need to be taken with a grain of salt due to the creative accounting that goes in college athletics, UND's specifically do because of the relationship with the REA which tends to skew things even further.

Even with that caveat, UND ranks 73rd out of 227 schools reporting in lowest percentage, so right around the top 1/3 least reliant on allocated funds.

For comparison
NDSU - 29.81% (55th)
SDSU - 42.65% (63rd)
USD - 63.38% (110th)

Omaha - 51.67% (80th)
WIU - 74.46% (150th)
UMKC - 89.82 (225th)

Also not trying to start anything, since NDSU continues to be the leader in the Summit, but their allocated funds would be higher if their initial plans had gone the athletic department's way as they have tried a few times to raise their student fees, which remain impressively low, and were rejected by the student government. So instead they took additional seats away from the students as a trade-off and that obviously leads to increased donations and ticket revenue. Probably a win-win for both group, though I believe between the additional seats and the pandemic, their football ticket waiting list has officially dwindled to beyond zero and they were making outbound calls trying to sell the last of their remaining season football tickets.

• 4 months later...

All things old are new again.

From a different thread, almost five years ago*

On 3/10/2016 at 9:41 AM, UND1983 said:

Sounds like some people have already expressed their concern to Schafer over the abundance of "Vice Presidents" on campus.  That would be a good start.

(* not picking on UND1983, just recalled this discussion and this post stood out when I looked back)

From today's GF Herald:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6785561-UNDs-diversity-inclusion-task-force-issues-recommendations

• Create a vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion position 

How will this play with the 'administrative bloat at UND is bad' crowd?  Especially since UND ended up making some significant administrative cuts, as I recall.

18 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

All things old are new again.

From a different thread, almost five years ago*

(* not picking on UND1983, just recalled this discussion and this post stood out when I looked back)

From today's GF Herald:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/6785561-UNDs-diversity-inclusion-task-force-issues-recommendations

How will this play with the 'administrative bloat at UND is bad' crowd?  Especially since UND ended up making some significant administrative cuts, as I recall.

I thought this was already an existing postion and I wasn't too far off. There is already a VP for Studen Affairs and Diversity.
It will be interesting on how this is handled as the things on the "Top 10" list are all going to invovle some signficant funds at a time when UND is already slashing budgets and that was pre-CoVid. Are these people willing to see (realistic) cuts in other parts of the University to help fund it? What programs are they willing to shut down to fund this list?