SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

3 hours ago, moser53 said:

On KNOX this afternoon the GF Cheer and Gumnastics programs in GF have folded and the only options for the GF residents is to drive to Fargo. Academic and Sports cuts at UND. The state owes GF 10 Million for repairing state roads and 10 Million for water treatment plant which they gave us less than other cities. A drone part that is limited in what it can or will do. But I’m still checking some sources on the parks potential. Low wage city.

Question the people in charge? They’ll just tell you blame the voters they’re the ones voted for the Legacy Fund. Don’t question us there’s nothing to see here. Ya right.

You do know UND wasn’t the only college to cut academics/sports. Burgum made ALL North Dakota college and universities cut their budget. 

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

You do know UND wasn’t the only college to cut academics/sports. Burgum made ALL North Dakota college and universities cut their budget. 

Darrell wasn't it Dalyrymple that made all he cuts? All the colleges made cuts I guess.There was a recent politician who said you have to break it b4 you can fix it. The break down is still going on. Some or most will remain broken. Then you'll see one big winner. All thie cuts and maneuvering in Higher Ed have a game plan to it. And people are ignoring it.

22 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Darrell wasn't it Dalyrymple that made all he cuts? All the colleges made cuts I guess.There was a recent politician who said you have to break it b4 you can fix it. The break down is still going on. Some or most will remain broken. Then you'll see one big winner. All thie cuts and maneuvering in Higher Ed have a game plan to it. And people are ignoring it.

Dalrymple cut around 6.5% and ordered budget requests for the next cycle to cut another 3.5%. Burgum cut another 10% beyond that with a few adjustments for health insurance and other costs. Tuition was increased by 4% minimum per year though, so that made up for some of it. 

How's that blackhawk helicopter doing outside your place? 

• Upvote 1

moser, 

Again. At risk of repeating myself. 

What are you, you personally, doing to make Grand Forks a better place to live? 

Kvetching on the radio, and kvetching here, is the direct opposite. 

Show me the business and jobs you've created. Heck, show me how you've improved someone else's business in Grand Forks. Have you gone and lobbied at the Legislature about your concerns? Or just even show me how you've volunteered with a Greater Grand Forks group to make Grand Forks, well, greater. 

I'll hang up and listen. 

< dial tone > 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

moser, 

Again. At risk of repeating myself. 

What are you, you personally, doing to make Grand Forks a better place to live? 

Kvetching on the radio, and kvetching here, is the direct opposite. 

Show me the business and jobs you've created. Heck, show me how you've improved someone else's business in Grand Forks. Have you gone and lobbied at the Legislature about your concerns? Or just even show me how you've volunteered with a Greater Grand Forks group to make Grand Forks, well, greater. 

I'll hang up and listen. 

< dial tone > 

Dial tone, your right nobody's listening. 

Wait, I hear the Calvarys Trumpet 

9 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Dial tone, your right nobody's listening. 

Wait, I hear the Calvarys Trumpet 

cav·al·ry

ˈkavəlrē/

noun

(in the past) soldiers who fought on horseback.

synonyms:mounted troops, cavalrymen, troopers, horse; More

modern soldiers who fight in armored vehicles.

AS OPPOSED TO:

Calvary, or Golgotha was, according to the Gospels, a site immediately outside Jerusalem's walls where Jesus was crucified. 

Signed,

Mafia's li'l bro

On April 1, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Cratter said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4000278-und-post-budget-cut-proposals-seek-feedback-later-month

Did UND currently have $6,000,000 in waste per year or will the University have to educate less students by cutting certain programs?

A bulldozer can solve a budget problem. With UND taking the bull by the horns and saying cut here first. Setting a great example.UND should and will continue to take it for the team. Lets clean up the waste here first. Leave the other campus alone.

11 minutes ago, moser53 said:

A bulldozer can solve a budget problem. With UND taking the bull by the horns and saying cut here first. Setting a great example.UND should and will continue to take it for the team. Lets clean up the waste here first. Leave the other campus alone.

For the hundredth time, other campuses have been cutting too. 

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

For the hundredth time, other campuses have been cutting too. 

I know you follow politics and what do they do. Say the same things over and over. People have short memories. If it's yesterday's news it's forgotten by most. So I keep saying what I believe to be the truth so people won't forget. Like any good politician.

24 minutes ago, moser53 said:

I know you follow politics and what do they do. Say the same things over and over. People have short memories. If it's yesterday's news it's forgotten by most. So I keep saying what I believe to be the truth so people won't forget. Like any good politician.

You continue to spew bullsh*t until perception becomes reality, like any good politician. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Kelley never had the guts or brains to restrict any spending. Large part of the reason UND is in the situation it's in. 

Democrats could have never pulled off what's gone on the past 20 years.Nickname -- Why 2 tribes. Legacy Fund we wanna see where the $ is and so on.

8 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Democrats could have never pulled off what's gone on the past 20 years.Nickname -- Why 2 tribes. Legacy Fund we wanna see where the $ is and so on.

Ditch the politics. You will not be warned again. 

Why 2 tribes? Probably because we couldn't even get 1 at the time and the NCAA was giving us 3 extra years to gain approval. 

Legacy Fund money is all stashed in Dalrymple's mattress. It's a little smelly, but it's all there. 

33 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Woof.

This won't be good, I don't know what else that can be cut?

How about we cut some 4 year schools down to a 2 year. We need only 4 of them in this state (UND, NDSU, Minot St and Mary). If our state is hurting that much that it’s cut, cut, cut every year maybe looking at this needs to be brought to Burgum’s attention.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

How about we cut some 4 year schools down to a 2 year. We need only 4 of them in this state (UND, NDSU, Minot St and Mary). If our state is hurting that much that it’s cut, cut, cut every year maybe looking at this needs to be brought to Burgum’s attention.

Would require a change to the constitution.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Would require a change to the constitution.

I suppose with lawmakers that would be deemed a “drastic” move. They would rather see colleges hack academics and sports but at the same time give themselves raises. 

15 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I suppose with lawmakers that would be deemed a “drastic” move. They would rather see colleges hack academics and sports but at the same time give themselves raises. 

Constitution change would require a vote of the residents of the state.

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

It's no secret Burgum wants to cut higher ed funding from the state to a fraction of what it is today.

Which wouldn't be all bad if the schools could be more self-sufficient and less to the whims of state budgets or politics du jour. 

• Upvote 2

Variety of options for UND and NDSU. What it likely will come down to is a mix of some of the following things (these are all theoretical possibilities):

• I think 1-2 more sports can perhaps be cut
  • Continued faculty/staff buyouts
  • Reduction in graduate programs (Ph.D/Ed.D especially, but could be MA also)
  • Elimination of smaller undergraduate programs
  • Increase in teaching load for tenure track/tenured faculty
  • Continued loss of jobs (without replacement) in administrative offices (this really only has a marginal benefit in terms of costs though)
  • Reduction in research grant outlays
  • Continued closing down of older buildings, dorms, etc., as fewer students are on campus at UND (I think the same is true at NDSU to a slightly lesser degree)
  • Increase of tuition on Minnesota residents, but this would be marginal short-term benefit and potentially large long-term cost

Basically the same things that have already happened are likely to occur, but most likely with more elimination of programs. More drastic things are possible, but not that likely to occur IMO. 

That likely gets an additional 10% cut assuming no larger structural or fiscal changes occur such as changing the Constitution to shut down 2-3 smaller universities or taking money from the Legacy Fund to offset a portion of this (I don't anticipate that happening; perhaps interest, but it doesn't solve the longer term fiscal issues). Depends really on what the Legislature decides to do as the ball will be in their court.

Unpopular, but theoretical larger things that could happen (probably not likely but theoretical possibilities):

• Elimination/modification of/partial exemption to law only allowing tuition increases of 2.5% per annum I think(?), but that is really a long-term answer (although I think larger increases of MN resident tuition can be done, with potential loss of students from Minnesota)
  • Constitutional amendment with full court press from both state legislature and governor actively campaigning for change
  • Use of some money from Legacy Fund to reduce burden to some extent (not likely and would have relatively small impact I think, but would allow additional attrition from retirements and not replacing people who retire)
  • Differential cuts (different colleges/universities get cut different amounts percentage-wise rather than evenly distributed across universities/units within universities; perhaps the best, but politically toughest option)