SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

University's are government entities - why is it that everyone complains about government waste but when budget's are cut and it is our ox being gored the pitchforks and torches come out? I do wonder why no other University or college in the state is making headlines with their mandatory budget cuts? Is it once again the UND is being penalized for being upfront and public while others are hiding behind bushes hoping no one turns a flashlight on them? 

• Upvote 2

and here's a graph showing how much more money North Dakota had vs ten years ago.

Yet nobody wanted to save enough for Baseball or Mens Golf at UND in the ten years when the North Dakota general fund went from $2.3 billion to $7.3 Billion.

This biennium is a historic high for the most amount of money North Dakota has ever had. Maybe they should have saved a little more and spent a little less...(so historic high revenue by the state of North Dakota....which means Mens Golf, Baseball, jobs, Studio One, Music Therapy, etc at UND is actually just money that is being transferred and spend elsewhere in North Dakota :(.)

spendinglegcouncil.png

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

and here's a graph showing how much more money North Dakota had vs ten years ago.

Yet nobody wanted to save enough for Baseball or Mens Golf at UND in the ten years when the North Dakota general fund went from $2.3 billion to $7.3 Billion.

This biennium is a historic high for the most amount of money North Dakota has ever had. Maybe they should have saved a little more and spent a little less...(so historic high revenue by the state of North Dakota....which means Mens Golf, Baseball, jobs, Studio One, Music Therapy, etc at UND is actually just money that is being transferred and spend elsewhere in North Dakota.)

spendinglegcouncil.png

That was projected revenue from August 2014. Actual revenue will be closer to $6 billion. Next budget cycle it will be much worse unless oil recovers. The UND budget reductions are due to the school letting it's own budget get completely out of control. Not having a president for the last 5 years probably hasn't helped. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

That was projected revenue from August 2014. Actual revenue will be closer to $6 billion. Next budget cycle it will be much worse unless oil recovers. The UND budget reductions are due to the school letting it's own budget get completely out of control. Not having a president for the last 5 years probably hasn't helped. 

Yeah it was projected for the latest figure (we aren't into 2017 yet :cool:)...yet even with the shortfall its the largest revenue in the history of North Dakota (or very close. Nobody will know for awhile what the actual amount that comes in will be...everyone's guesses and then spends that guess). 

Agreed with your points. Seems like something is amiss, when a "small cut" in revenue forces these "minor stupid cuts" of things that have been around long before the past couple years.

I'd also have to assume this last biennium budget is also the largest in UND's history? Where can I find that graph?

19 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Next budget cycle it will be much worse unless oil recovers. 

That won't be good:

Dalrymple said officials carefully analyzed the numbers and concluded that 4.05 percent was the biggest cut they could make without harming sensitive areas such as medical services and prison security.

:huh:

One reason UND is hit a bit a harder than other schools is the new med school building. They aren't reducing any costs for the building, so UND has to cut an extra $2.5 million beyond what it normally would from operating. Hopefully Schafer is able to lead UND to make appropriate cuts and we come out of this a stronger more efficient university. Thus far I'm not hearing about cuts to administration, which is disappointing.

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

One reason UND is hit a bit a harder than other schools is the new med school building. They aren't reducing any costs for the building, so UND has to cut an extra $2.5 million beyond what it normally would from operating. 

Which means....

Mens Golf, Baseball, jobs, Studio One, Music Therapy, etc at UND is actually just money that is being transferred and spend elsewhere in North Dakota.)

The memo states UND must cut $9.5 million, $2.5 million of which is due to funds given to UND to build the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, but changes to the construction of the four-story, $124 million structure that is slated for completion this summer could be disadvantageous.

"While the building is both on time and on budget, any changes in contracts right now would cost the project more money, not less," the memo stated

6 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

One reason UND is hit a bit a harder than other schools is the new med school building. They aren't reducing any costs for the building, so UND has to cut an extra $2.5 million beyond what it normally would from operating. Hopefully Schafer is able to lead UND to make appropriate cuts and we come out of this a stronger more efficient university. Thus far I'm not hearing about cuts to administration, which is disappointing.

Sounds like the position of the VP that just left will be dropped.  So that's a start.

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Thus far I'm not hearing about cuts to administration, which is disappointing.

There will probably be a few admins cut, considering they can cut salary, insurance, and any other benefits to save money. Like Talksalot83 said:

10 hours ago, talksalot83 said:

These cuts are going to be much, much deeper than anyone expected.

Walton leaving means that they can easily give Peter Johnson a raise when his annual review comes around since he'll be assuming many of her duties. 

My position on Campus was in a new department established to provide customer service and help students navigate UND's large, bureaucratic system. Many other schools have this department because it improves retention and satisfaction. We actually keep data to back that up. The department will continue to exist because of restructuring, but it was gutted. I don't feel that I was being cut to make the institution better. It was purely a cost-saving method to maintain the jobs of people who have been at the institution longer. But, then again, another person being cut along with me was at UND for 13 years. Another was at UND for several and held prominent positions in lower administration.

I remember talking about this with a friend of mine in December and January; I was a little worried, but she suspected that there would be cuts to travel and some other line items. I don't think anyone expected this. We thought that it was possible that most departments would sacrifice a little and there might be some restructuring. I thought, worst case scenario, "I'm cross trained in 5/6 admin offices. Even though I'm new, I'm very valuable because of my knowledge base. They'll probably push me into another department." The hardest part is that I should have been off the mandatory six-month probation before the budget goes into effect. They can legally extend my probation by a month for no reason. Not that letting me hit my probation would have saved me, but it would have allowed me to apply for potential, internal positions in the future at UND. Individuals who are not on probation are allowed to have priority when applying for jobs. I will not have that benefit. I also think there are going to be more cuts the next fiscal year as well. 

I'm sure some people think UND is simply cutting the fat, but I think this is a whole lot deeper than that. I'm telling my story because I want to put a small voice to the cuts. I'm going to miss UND. I have many friends who work there and they are wonderful people. I don't feel as if I got the opportunity to make the impact that I wanted to. I gave UND my money (tuition), my sweat (working various positions on campus) and now my tears. I have nothing left to give it. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, talksalot83 said:

Walton leaving means that they can easily give Peter Johnson a raise when his annual review comes around since he'll be assuming duties. 

My position on Campus was in a new department established to provide customer service and help student navigate UND's large, bureaucratic system. Many other schools have this department because it improve retention and satisfaction. We actually keep data to back that up. The department will continue to exist because of restructuring, but it was gutted. I don't feel that I was being cut to make the institution better. It was purely a cost-saving method to maintain the jobs of people who have been at the institution longer. But, then again, another person being cut along with me was at UND for 13 years. Another was at UND for several and held prominent positions in lower administration.

I remember talking about this with a friend of mine in December and January; I was a little worried, but she suspected that there would be cuts to travel and some other line items. I don't think anyone expected this. I also think there are going to be more cuts the next fiscal year as well. 

I'm sure some people think UND is simply cutting the fat, but I think this is a whole lot deeper than that. I'm telling my story because I want to put a small voice to the cuts. I'm going to miss UND. I have many friends who work there and they are wonderful people. I don't feel as if I got the opportunity to make the impact that I wanted to. I gave UND my money (tuition), my sweat (working various positions on campus) and now my tears. I have nothing left to give it. 

Thanks for the personal story. I just shows behind every cut is a person and a life being affected. Best luck finding another position. 

59 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

If Studio one gets a chance to fund-raise why not all cut programs? Caveat being if the threshold isnt met by a certain date all money goes to UND anyways. What do they have to lose?

Studio One won't have enough time before they approve the budget to save itself.

• The Sicatoka changed the title to NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)