SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Understand that someone has recently graciously given matching funds so that if anyone endows an athletic scholarship, there is an immediate 50% match for more athletic scholarships.

If true, surprised they haven't made a little more mention of it. Also curious if it has to be a full endowment or if a partial ones are included.

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

If true, surprised they haven't made a little more mention of it. Also curious if it has to be a full endowment or if a partial ones are included.

The Foundation has made contact with people or groups that have previously made an athletic scholarship endowment, and asking if they would like to participate by giving more, even partials.  If money is still there, there may be a public announcement is my guess.

On 5/20/2017 at 6:59 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

This update on the Hyslop pool contains possibly the best (or worst, depending on your point of view) example of empty speech I have seen in a long, long time.

Give that woman a prize or something.

This was one criticism I had with cutting Swimming and Diving to begin with. The school will likely still keep the pool because most 4 year colleges have pools plus the community seems to be pushing them that way too (not sure if they'll help with the budget though).

All I can say for sure is that being from Minnesota, not having somewhere to swim would have given me pause on choosing UND. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4304106-und-road-kennedy-logs-almost-100-travel-days-taking-office-overall-expense-close-30000

Didn't know where to put this, but the fundraising number stood out to me.  A $6 million dollar jump in the FY2016 compare to FY2015.  How comparable is the increase  to previous years? 

Of course I am waiting for the people to start screaming about Kennedy and his travels....

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4304106-und-road-kennedy-logs-almost-100-travel-days-taking-office-overall-expense-close-30000

Didn't know where to put this, but the fundraising number stood out to me.  A $6 million dollar jump in the FY2016 compare to FY2015.  How comparable is the increase  to previous years? 

Of course I am waiting for the people to start screaming about Kennedy and his travels....

gotta spend money to make money...

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Nothing special, unfortunately.

https://www.undalumni.org/file/documents/financial/final_annual_report_on_giving.pdf

snipa.PNG

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Why was there such a drop between FY15 and FY16?

At least it back to where it was, despite budget issues, sports getting cut, etc.

A lot of those big donations take years to secure, likely just a timing issue. Might be some correlation with the NDUS Challenge grants as well, though I don't remember the exact timeline on those. 

On 7/29/2017 at 11:33 AM, southpaw said:

It's fantastic that nearly $40M in gifts is considered "nothing special."

It's all about context.  I was replying to this: "Didn't know where to put this, but the fundraising number stood out to me.  A $6 million dollar jump in the FY2016 compare to FY2015.  How comparable is the increase  to previous years?" 

A 6 mil jump in fundraising brought us up to 39 mil, which is still below the 5 year average.  Ideally that number would go up every year.  So no, a 6 mil bump to 39 mil is still nothing special, especially after a 15 mil drop brought us down to that 33 mil number.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

It's all about context.  I was replying to this: "Didn't know where to put this, but the fundraising number stood out to me.  A $6 million dollar jump in the FY2016 compare to FY2015.  How comparable is the increase  to previous years?" 

A 6 mil jump in fundraising brought us up to 39 mil, which is still below the 5 year average.  Ideally that number would go up every year.  So no, a 6 mil bump to 39 mil is still nothing special, especially after a 15 mil drop brought us down to that 33 mil number.

It's an interesting chart to look at.  Lots of money in the state for a few of those years.  That had to have helped.  

The economic conditions during '16 in North Dakota could not have helped.  Oil was in the tank and Ag was Ag. Add to that one of the messiest elections in memory.  All of those could be a factor. Just spit balling. 

With the recent messes UND has dealt with, those didn't help.  Kennedy definitely has his work cut out for him to rebuild some relationships I imagine.  

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I'm sorry if my post came off as sarcastic.  It was meant to be factual, in that $40M in gifts is considered "nothing special" for UND standards.  And that is great that UND has such high standards.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

I'm sorry if my post came off as sarcastic.  It was meant to be factual, in that $40M in gifts is considered "nothing special" for UND standards.  And that is great that UND has such high standards.

Gotcha ;)

I agree.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4319815-und-moving-cuts-president-mark-kennedy-says

Kennedy said the state's higher-than-expected revenue forecast increases his confidence in the future and he says he doesn't see any more university budget cuts on the horizon.

I really hope that this is the case. 

Maybe they found buried treasure when they razed all of those buildings.  Copper pipe, perhaps?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4319815-und-moving-cuts-president-mark-kennedy-says

Kennedy said the state's higher-than-expected revenue forecast increases his confidence in the future and he says he doesn't see any more university budget cuts on the horizon.

I really hope that this is the case. 

But he can't predict what Doug Burgum will do. State loses more money colleges are going to suffer again.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 1, 2016 at 7:12 PM, Cratter said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4000278-und-post-budget-cut-proposals-seek-feedback-later-month

Did UND currently have $6,000,000 in waste per year or will the University have to educate less students by cutting certain programs?

Build things now. We have all the $. What are they going to do knock the buildings down. Prove it.

4 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Build things now. We have all the $. What are they going to do knock the buildings down. Prove it.

Check the "by line" of that story ... specifically the date/time it was written. 

By Anna Burleson on Apr 1, 2016 at 5:28 p.m.

Now inhale. Now exhale. And inhale. And exhale. ;) 

• Upvote 1