SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

I know he haunts here, so I'll quote the "Let's Go DU" blog from October 2016:

If (when) they move to the Summit League, they will be required to sponsor a minimum of seven sports: men’s and women’s basketball plus five additional core sports that North Dakota can choose

https://letsgodu.com/2016/10/06/state-cuts-will-likely-impact-summit-league-membership/

That says seven total: MBB, WBB, plus five is seven total. 

14 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

First, it's here somewhere but the Summit League requires MBB, WBB, plus just five additional sports. 

Next, Melvin, eight years? Wha-cha talking about? 

I think this is what he was talking about

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4221443-und-athletics-may-be-facing-summit-penalty-fees-if-cutting-sports

I dont see how the league could penalize UND for dropping sports when they arent in the league yet. Unless your entry was based on the fact that you were sponsoring x amount of sports.

But I would have thought the reasons for moving to the Summitt  would have been obvious to all of the people involved in the negotiations. So having you drop a few sports shouldnt come as a surprise.

Interesting to see how that plays out if there is anything to it. Unless there is something in the paperwork that specifies UND has promised to come into the conference with X sports, than I can't see how the Summit could enforce it if UND drops it before they join. Men's golf is the most interesting to me since it is technically of the athletic department's budget, yet they would be on the hook for $150K if the team wasn't able to hit their fundraising goals.

44 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

<tinfoil hat>

Be the way to cut a certain program that isn't in the Summit?

I was pondering the very same point. 

It's a very interesting trial balloon to float out there, and yeah, I just called it a trial balloon. My rough look at the 2015 numbers say you can cut "WIH" or "M/W S&D and M/W Tennis" and get to about the same $1.2-1.3 million. But, imagine if cutting the last group cost an extra $600k (4 x $150k) penalty. 

More interesting is that it's Douple and the Summit. There's some history there about statements coming, or not coming, out of those offices. 

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

There are many more examples out there similar in disparity between men's and women's sports.  Which is why I don't buy the argument/scare tactic that always comes up saying UND would be in violation of title 9 if WIH was dropped.  

Alabama Women's Crew has a roster about the size of their football team

2 hours ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

Alabama Women's Crew has a roster about the size of their football team

Right. I counted their roster once and think there were about 60 on the team.  It appears as long as a school's scholarships are in line in terms of men to women, and the women have good facilities, you're fine. 

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Guess we need to include how A & S is going to handle the cuts. Can't be total sports sports sports, is your whole like just sports*

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4221416-und-arts-and-sciences-announces-budget-cut-proposals

*Copyright the Common Man

Sports, sports, sports, sports, sports!!! We don't care that much about sports here, what do you think of THAT? :p