SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

On 2/17/2017 at 11:06 PM, moser53 said:

Was the Legacy Fund started to hide money so they could dismantle UND? Crazy talk right.i wish the Democrates were in power the last 20 years then we would have someone to point our finger at. Political party's are like cults never blame mine.

The Legacy Fund is State money. There's no guarantee where it'd be spent. They could send it to roads or human services. And when that money is gone, what then? 

Next, please, read the forum guidelines that you agreed to when you signed up: No politics. 

Signed,
The Management 

Here is a question that may be the elephant in the room when it comes to women's hockey.  How much of that budget is facility use.  Every time I look at the attendance on tv, I bet there is less than 1500 people (which may be generous) at the games.  What is the cost of the team using the REA?  Is there another facility that would better fit what this team brings in?  Minnesota does not use Marriucci and I am not sure what the other schools use.  Can anyone answer honestly what facility rental is for that program?

3 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

Here is a question that may be the elephant in the room when it comes to women's hockey.  How much of that budget is facility use.  Every time I look at the attendance on tv, I bet there is less than 1500 people (which may be generous) at the games.  What is the cost of the team using the REA?  Is there another facility that would better fit what this team brings in?  Minnesota does not use Marriucci and I am not sure what the other schools use.  Can anyone answer honestly what facility rental is for that program?

On paper it's right around $0.

42 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

On paper it's right around $0.

So you are telling me that they pay nothing to rent for the REA?  Wrong, I just looked it up and UND paid a total of 669K to REA.  Granted, this is for everything, but this is exactly my point.  It costs money to have games and whatever else there for the women.  If they are not bringing in enough to cover the costs, move it to a facility that they can afford. 

‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎07‎:‎08‎ ‎PM
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

So you are telling me that they pay nothing to rent for the REA?  Wrong, I just looked it up and UND paid a total of 669K to REA.  Granted, this is for everything, but this is exactly my point.  It costs money to have games and whatever else there for the women.  If they are not bringing in enough to cover the costs, move it to a facility that they can afford. 

‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎07‎:‎08‎ ‎PM

The financials that break out each sport separately that are sent to the NCAA for reporting purposes have $0 listed for facility expenses attributed to women's ice hockey. That's why everyone states that the cost of the program is actually higher than reported. 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The financials that break out each sport separately sent in to the NCAA for reporting purposes have $0 for faculty expenses attributed to women's ice hockey. That's why everyone states that the cost of the program is actually higher than reported. 

Shell game is strong with this program. I found my numbers in the state checkbook, which is public information. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Shell game is strong with this program. I found my numbers in the state checkbook, which is public information. 

Of course college athletics is a giant shell game but I'm not sure what you're trying to argue? On paper, the WIH program shows a net cost of $1.4 million but those numbers don't include any facility costs, which is why the cost of the program is actually higher. The entire cost for the REA/BESC (over $2 million) is attributed to MIH, there are no costs attributed to MBB,  WBB, VB, WIH or soccer.

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Of course college athletics is a giant shell game but I'm not sure what you're trying to argue? On paper, the WIH program shows a net cost of $1.4 million but those numbers don't include any facility costs, which is why the cost of I the program is actually higher. The entire cost for the REA/BESC (over $2 million) is attributed to MIH, there are no costs attributed to MBB,  WBB, VB, WIH or soccer.

I am trying to show a way to bring cost down.  Move them to another facility in town for games and practice.  It is a program that needs to be looked at because of the amount of money it loses. 

10 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

I am trying to show a way to bring cost down.  Move them to another facility in town for games and practice.  It is a program that needs to be looked at because of the amount of money it loses. 

I get where you are going with it now. If the financials were presented properly, this would make sense, though there would still be backlash and you still have the base cost of over $1.4 million.  As they are currently done, it would actually make the cost of their program go up on paper because you wouldn't be able to bury their facility cost under MIH.  

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

5 men's and 6 women's is what Denver has. So i'm guessing thats the minimum.

Whatever number UND takes into the SC, they have to have that number of sports for 8 years. So, if they're cutting a sport or two they have to do it very soon. 

9 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

From the games I've attended (albeit, not many) I think 1,500 is generous.  Why not play at Purper?  A smaller venue would provide a better atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Why not play at Purper? 

Because the UND men's team is paying the whole bill for the use of REA for everyone: them, women's hockey, MBB, WBB, VB, and soccer (locker rooms).

Moving women's games to Purpur would ADD (not save) expenses to an already RED by $1.4 million women's hockey budget (again, they don't pay ANY facilities charges now). The city wouldn't let them use Purpur for free. 

If you want the women in a smaller venue with NO additional cost it's the REA Olympic rink.