SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The Summit requires MBB and WBB. Men's hockey is not being cut. 

I suppose not joining the MVFC might make some, possibly including you, happy ....

But no changes coming in regards to that; Kennedy is currently impressed, thankfully.

@dfreund7 @UNDfootball I was very impressed by the dedication of the team and the leadership of the coaches. You make @myUND proud.

8:56 AM - 17 Feb 2017

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Total Operating Revenues:
MS&D - $31,458
WS&D - $36,194
MT - $0
WT - $88
WS - $26,279
WIH - $29,239

Total Expenses
MS&D - $358,041
WS&D - $591,646
MT - $99,453
WT - $213,294
WS - $615,150
WIH - $1,429,827 WITH $0 IN FACILITY COSTS ATTRIBUTED TO THEM

Women's hockey seems like the obvious one to me. See how easy that was.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I suppose not joining the MVFC might make some, possibly including you, happy ....

That's not what I said. 

Football is going nowhere. However, allow it to be evaluated right now. It'll show it's a better "net" than most of the rest and it should quiet the noise from some quarters. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That's not what I said. 

Football is going nowhere. However, allow it to be evaluated right now. It'll show it's a better "net" than most of the rest and it should quiet the noise from some quarters. 

I know, I know. 

I was more so just being overly critical of your post because you left out football. 

UND men's hockey and football are the cream of the crop based on current attendance numbers and future potential in that department for football - period. 

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

MS&D - $31,458
WS&D - $36,194
MT - $0
WT - $88
WS - $26,279
WIH - $29,239

Total Expenses:
MS&D - $358,041
WS&D - $591,646
MT - $99,453
WT - $213,294
WS - $615,150
WIH - $1,429,827

Not sure anyone can look at those numbers and not come to the conclusion that Womens hockey needs to go.  You would have to cut at least 4 of the sports lited here to come up with the number that UND must cut.  This is a no brainer.

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

WITH $0 IN FACILITY COSTS ATTRIBUTED TO THEM

I was going to include that but M&W Tennis are the only ones listed that actually have any facility cost attributed to them ($22,500 each for M&W). While WIH facility costs are higher, I figured it wasn't fair to single them out on that. Not that it matters, the numbers speak for themselves without it.

11 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not sure anyone can look at those numbers and not come to the conclusion that Womens hockey needs to go.  You would have to cut at least 4 of the sports lited here to come up with the number that UND must cut.  This is a no brainer.

Don't tell that to Schlossman,

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Cut their budget 

don't have to cut profram

just cut budget

The program is a $1.4M suck hole annually...........................................could they survive on $700K and change if you cut their budget in half?

To me, this singular statement, which I tracked down for myself and found to be true, namely, 

WITH $0 IN FACILITY COSTS ATTRIBUTED TO THEM

is damning for women's hockey. If they we're "covering" half the REA expense I could see them running $1.4 million in the red. They're $1.4 million in the red not covering their half ($1.1 million) of REA. 

Men's ice hockey covers all the facilities costs for REA which is used by them, WIH, MBB, WBB, VB, and soccer (locker space). 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

MS&D - $31,458
WS&D - $36,194
MT - $0
WT - $88
WS - $26,279
WIH - $29,239

Total Expenses:
MS&D - $358,041
WS&D - $591,646
MT - $99,453
WT - $213,294
WS - $615,150
WIH - $1,429,827

Just for fun:
Net Cost and Net Cost/Participant
MS&D - ($326,583) - $13,608
WS&D - ($555,452) - $18,515
MT - ($99,453) - $11,050
WT - ($213,206) - $19,382
WS - ($588,871) - $26,767
WIH - ($1,400,588) - $53,869

By the looks of this cut WIH and all swimming & diving. This should give the athletic department some needed wiggle room but It won't happen. 

In order to not cause a title IX problem could they cut WIH and just MS&D?

My hunch is they keep WIH and tennis. Everybody else on your list is in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

By the looks of this cut WIH and all swimming & diving. This should give the athletic department some needed wiggle room but It won't happen. 

In order to not cause a title IX problem could they cut WIH and just MS&D?

My hunch is they keep WIH and tennis. Everybody else on your list is in trouble.

The wildcard in this is ... facilities.

What does UND own? What costs UND the least? What does UND own that may need near-term repairs or upgrades? 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The wildcard in this is ... facilities.

What does UND own? What costs UND the least? What does UND own that may need near-term repairs or upgrades? 

OK, cut all swimming and diving, the pool upkeep must be expensive. Next cut the budgets on soccer and Womens hockey to get you the rest of the way there.

On a side note, why does soccer cost so much? A pool is a hell of a lot more expensive than a yard. Ask anyone in the southern states.

Was the Legacy Fund started to hide money so they could dismantle UND? Crazy talk right.i wish the Democrates were in power the last 20 years then we would have someone to point our finger at. Political party's are like cults never blame mine.

On 2/17/2017 at 3:36 PM, UND-1 said:

You're joking, right?

No, he said it was better to cut one sport than four.  So he's in favor of keeping men's and women's tennis and swimming and diving.  That leave five individual sports to choose from that can cut $1.3 million from the budget. I simply asked him which of the sports he would cut.