SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

#MyUNDnotYours......?   GTFO.  How stupid can you get?

This girl is just auditioning for her future career as a paid protester.

I love that tactic: 

You may have the top to bottom responsibility for 12000 people, a quarter billion dollar budget, a billion (?) in assets, but you're clueless when I don't like what you're doing so it's now "mine". 

I boldly predict the purveyors of that petition would curl up and melt after one day of carrying the responsibilities of running a university. 

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So what does she want?  Get every student at UND to come to the Ralph and have Kennedy up there with a giant chalkboard and have people yell out their ideas for how they think UND should handle the budge cuts and then somehow have everyone agree on a plan?!!

work.jpg

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So what does she want?  Get every student at UND to come to the Ralph and have Kennedy up there with a giant chalkboard and have people yell out their ideas for how they think UND should handle the budge cuts and then somehow have everyone agree on a plan?!!

work.jpg

I think they want him to form a committee, they are basically trained to expect that response instead of action at this point. :D

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

This made me laugh.

It's embarrassing, I couldn't imagine how unbelievably frustrating it would be to be Kennedy.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I think they want him to form a committee, they are basically trained to expect that response instead of action at this point. :D

Yeah ... a committee, like the last one that had to look at what to do with a fraction of the overall UND budget. 

You all remember that. 

It'll be awesome to see the chairs up there lobbying to save their departments. :D

I don't blame the students they are upset and don't want programs cut. However their anger is misplaced, it was the perfect storm of issues that has plagued our state of revenues needed to continue the status quo. Perhaps some blame can go to lawmakers and our own AVP of Finance for spending. Personally I thought our AVP of Finance should have lost her job last year but I am happy she is leaving, although it probably isn't quicker than most people would have liked. I know President Kennedy is a good CFO and I do believe he can turn things around but he needs to be smart about it.

What will be nice going forward is the budget will be fixed and balanced on Big Sky travel/revenues, meaning that in a couple years there will be additional savings from lowered travel costs that instead can be reinvested into the programs. Cut what we need now and make everything stronger.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I don't blame the students they are upset and don't want programs cut. However their anger is misplaced, it was the perfect storm of issues that has plagued our state of revenues needed to continue the status quo. Perhaps some blame can go to lawmakers and our own AVP of Finance for spending. Personally I thought our AVP of Finance should have lost her job last year but I am happy she is leaving, although it probably isn't quicker than most people would have liked. I know President Kennedy is a good CFO and I do believe he can turn things around but he needs to be smart about it.

Students must understand its not Kennedy who all of a sudden said I am going to cut the budget. He is told by the state to cut the budget. If students have a problem with it see Gov. Doug Bergum in Bismarck, and do a petition to repeal him. Kennedy is following orders that's how things work in this state. Bismarck > UND, NDSU, Minot State, etc.

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

Students must understand its not Kennedy who all of a sudden said I am going to cut the budget. He is told by the state to cut the budget. If students have a problem with it see Gov. Doug Bergum in Bismarck, and do a petition to repeal him. Kennedy is following orders that's how things work in this state. Bismarck > UND, NDSU, Minot State, Jamestown U, etc.

Jamestown is private.

17 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So cut 4-5 sports that are in UND's future conference and over 100 opportunities or just cut one sport and a quarter of the amount of opportunities and save roughly the same amount of money....? 

Refresh my memory, how much revenue do these four sports (men's and women's swimming & diving, men's and women's tennis) generate? 

What one sport do you suggest we cut, pick one... men's hockey, women's hockey, football, men's basketball or women's basketball.

9 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

Refresh my memory, how much revenue do these four sports (men's and women's swimming & diving, men's and women's tennis) generate? 

What one sport do you suggest we cut, pick one... men's hockey, women's hockey, football, men's basketball or women's basketball.

Really?

2 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

Swimming and diving pulls in more than women's hockey.

Women's hockey.  That was really easy.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, 61hawk said:

There is one sport on that list that is a major outlier; that is the sport that obviously should be cut. 

"But, but, but .... it produced Olympic athletics and fits the UND culture!"

Oh please, look at the attendance numbers - it is not even remotely close to the following of men's hockey, football, and men's and women's basketball.