SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

44 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Looks like UND is going to cut $1.3 mill from the athletic budget and by the looks of it probably by cutting a sport or two. We know women's hockey is safe. My bet would be at least swimming and diving.

How do we know women's hockey is safe?

28 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Because we're joining conferences where nearly all the other members offer FCOA and competing for recruits with the other Dakota schools which are all offering it. 

"FCOA" is the new "scholarship."

Edit: I see this topic is being discussed on the other "cut" thread.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

A university cutting out administrative positions? 

< faints > 

Administration taking huge cuts along with everyone else. Wow, didn't think I'd see the day. There is hope! 

Now only if there was a way to clear up the athletic cuts with a single swoop and effect a minimal amount of programs/student athletes... 

• Upvote 1

Change.org petitions: As effective as hashtag campaigns since ... never. 

Those (I'm resisting the word "kids") ... < ahem > students ... need to understand the following: 

THMK* has run budgets larger than UND's through fiscal crises and transitions much worse than this. He's a former Treasurer of Federated Dept Stores (think: Macy's) and was rated one of America's Best CFOs. He was the architect of a major corporate acquisition (Pillsbury of Hagen Daas). The man knows how to shape and run a budget. I'm pretty sure the ND SBHE hired him and his experience knowing these issues were on the horizon for UND and the whole of the NDUS. 

When the budget is a mess because revenues have been cut and you have to lower expenses you don't have a biology professor, who's still trying to understand debits and credits, assets and depreciation, try to straighten it out. 

*The Honorable Mark Kennedy

• Upvote 4