SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Ranking the sports on university campuses relative to TV exposure and ratings....1) football 2) basketball...after that you'd have to ask the networks....I would guess baseball,,track and field, softball, and perhaps wrestling rank above hockey.  Nationally....

Hockey  probably on a par with lacrosse...and women's hockey.....would barely register....the only time the US gets excited about amateur hockey....is once every 4 years ..at Olympic time....and now the pros have taken that over.....I have a friend who teaches @ASU.....didn't know the Sun Devils had a hockey team.....and he follows their FB , BB, baseball and softball teams....so is not a sports black hole!!!!!

Check out press coverage in Minnesota relative to Gopher sports....where does hockey rank ...even "in the state of......"?????

I lived in Minneapolis for a while.  I would say it is pretty close to the basketball program in terms of coverage.  The football program is definitely #1.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John W. said:

Ranking the sports on university campuses relative to TV exposure and ratings....1) football 2) basketball...after that you'd have to ask the networks....I would guess baseball,,track and field, softball, and perhaps wrestling rank above hockey.  Nationally....

Hockey  probably on a par with lacrosse...and women's hockey.....would barely register....the only time the US gets excited about amateur hockey....is once every 4 years ..at Olympic time....and now the pros have taken that over.....I have a friend who teaches @ASU.....didn't know the Sun Devils had a hockey team.....and he follows their FB , BB, baseball and softball teams....so is not a sports black hole!!!!!

Check out press coverage in Minnesota relative to Gopher sports....where does hockey rank ...even "in the state of......"?????

Ranking sports on University campuses across the country is irrelevant to any decisions that should be made at UND.  How does Duke basketball being on TV benefit the basketball program here? (it doesn't).  UND hockey and the NCHC, rather than the Big Sky, has a contract with CBS Sports Network for a reason.  

The ASU program is two years old, has no success yet, and they still play in a high school arena in the desert.  Wouldn't doubt that they don't have a lot of support.  The funny thing is (as much as I like UND basketball) the ASU hockey team already has 11.7K twitter followers, compared to 3.2K for UND basketball.  Which is a black hole?

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why don't we just permanently abolish some academic departments and/or colleges and focus on the remaining units to make them stronger? Will it really ruin our reputation if we offer 150 majors instead of 200?

This brings up a story I was told last year by a professor who has been around for 40 years.  This was back when they were doing the cuts the first time. Think this still applies to the current situation.  Won't go into too much detail on it but basically the main point of it was the deans will look for anyway to claim their schools are the "most important" on campus and not do serious cuts or take it as seriously as they should.

Plus they don't want to cut a major and take the heat for it.... even thought exactly how much of that heat was on the Dean of the Arts and Science when she put MT on the table to being cut?  I don't think too much. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I disagree. There's nothing cheap about women's hockey. 

Or football. Or swimming and diving. Or baseball/softball. Take your pick. Sports are expensive.

Here I thought this thread was about academic budget cuts at UMD, my bad.

I didn't know some of you were such d-bags.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

10 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Or football. Or swimming and diving. Or baseball/softball. Take your pick. Sports are expensive.

Some are way more expensive than others with literally zero return on investment.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

But some sports take in money like football, men's hockey and basketball. How much money is made with Swimming, softball, or women's hockey....very, very little.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Whether a position like this is needed can be debated but the optics of it at this time are not good at all.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4215813-und-seeks-presidential-event-coordinator-during-hiring-freeze

Let me guess, Federal regulations are forcing them to create this position.:silly:

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why don't we just permanently abolish some academic departments and/or colleges and focus on the remaining units to make them stronger? Will it really ruin our reputation if we offer 150 majors instead of 200?

They are. Music therapy, integrated studies and it sounds like Women and Gender Studies, too. There will likely be more.

31 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Small-minded people tend to think small.  Presidents are held to a high standard, and much is expected.  Yes, they have a staff to facilitate the breadth of their responsibilities.  They also have homes, vehicle allowances, entertainment budgets, etc.  The article says this is not a new position.  If anyone wants to begrudge the President any of these things, they can kindly keep their seat when the President does not hit target goal X by date Y, or fails to cultivate Z relationships, or does not live up to whatever impossible standard the would-be critic seeks to impose. 

I think the President could probably do without the position for a while in a hiring freeze and budget cuts. If you want to show how much you care about a business/institution, you should show that you're willing to take hits, too. I'm sure he's not going to cut his salary. 

I don't begrudge Kennedy for filling position when it was already there, but it's leadership isn't just about making tough decisions that effect everybody else.

1 hour ago, crb1 said:

Whether a position like this is needed can be debated but the optics of it at this time are not good at all.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4215813-und-seeks-presidential-event-coordinator-during-hiring-freeze

I actually looked to see if was published by The Onion or something similar.   We're cutting everything imaginable and this guy wants to hire a party coordinator.    I think we need a new prez.

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

The Herald should be embarrassed about the first article they put out. 

Yes they should.  All universities have such people simply because they have too.  Donors and potential donors don't have to write any checks if they choose not too.  It's not like an appropriation.  These have to be schmoozed a little

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

It's not a new position. It's been there since at least Kupchella. ...and I'm sorry, but it is needed.  The position does far more than what's listed in the Herald, which seemed to only highlight the responsibilities that might elicit populist outrage. 

I fully understand that now, but, I really think it would be in our best interest if the position went unfilled.   At least it would make it look like the administration was suffering due to cuts just like the average Joe.   It's really a matter of perspective.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• The Sicatoka changed the title to NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)