SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

47 minutes ago, Cratter said:

UND wants to get rid of Ray Richard Golf Course because it generates revenue for the University....so I propose getting rid of all the parking ticket officers....help the budget and the earth (or did they switch to electric cars?)

It's my understanding that this fall the Parking Office is going without permit. Permits will be digital and, supposedly, there are going to be little GPS rover things patrolling the parking lots. Or that was the plan before I left; there was an email about digital permits as one point in May. 

I heard that institutions who use this system end up having way more parking tickets the first semester it has been implemented because it's like the wild, wild west.

1 hour ago, talksalot83 said:

It's my understanding that this fall the Parking Office is going without permit. Permits will be digital and, supposedly, there are going to be little GPS rover things patrolling the parking lots. Or that was the plan before I left; there was an email about digital permits as one point in May. 

I heard that institutions who use this system end up having way more parking tickets the first semester it has been implemented because it's like the wild, wild west.

Here's your parking permit....please install it directly to your cars computer system so we can track it at all hours...:cool:

It's always where can money be made (if you have to pay NDSU to talk on the radio in the Fargodome parking lot, or interview a coach for a blog...what's next?) ....it certainly has to be academic contracts where any press conference (new UND donation/building) can only be broadcast live from people who paid (because after all that news outlet "made money on your brand").

2 hours ago, talksalot83 said:

Jeezus!  I'm glad they didn't have this when I was in school.  I used to park in the truck delivery spot at night behind the Student Union for my job.  Back in the 80's, (yes 80's) if me and my buddies saw some little drone like R2D2 roaming around checking parking, we probably would have stomped it into little pieces. :)

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

So what happens when "my" crappy college car breaks down and I have to drive my grandma's car to school that day?

1 hour ago, lawkota said:

You can register more than one vehicle to your permit (can't remember how many), only one on campus at a time obviously.

Add the plate from Grandma's sweet Buick La-Sab-re ride* to your permit. ;)

*The one with the wobble-headed cow in the rear window. :D

12 hours ago, Cratter said:

Here's your parking permit....please install it directly to your cars computer system so we can track it at all hours...:cool:

It's always where can money be made (if you have to pay NDSU to talk on the radio in the Fargodome parking lot, or interview a coach for a blog...what's next?) ....it certainly has to be academic contracts where any press conference (new UND donation/building) can only be broadcast live from people who paid (because after all that news outlet "made money on your brand").

Running higher education like a business.

15 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Jeezus!  I'm glad they didn't have this when I was in school.  I used to park in the truck delivery spot at night behind the Student Union for my job.  Back in the 80's, (yes 80's) if me and my buddies saw some little drone like R2D2 roaming around checking parking, we probably would have stomped it into little pieces. :)

Same here. If it's a drone it's getting shot down. If it's a roomba looking thing it's getting smashed. And it'll feel good, damn good.

17 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Same here. If it's a drone it's getting shot down. If it's a roomba looking thing it's getting smashed. And it'll feel good, damn good.

Just like when I saw them on Segways a few summers ago, my first thought was... if I only had a rock to put in its path:devil::whistling:

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Just like when I saw them on Segways a few summers ago, my first thought was... if I only had a rock to put in its path:devil::whistling:

The NDSU ticket guy waved at me as he drove by one day because he recognized me by my car that he loved to load up with tickets and I was about a half second from a bunch of felonies before I realized that he is just the ticket guy and he wasn't worth it but man did I want it.

• 6 months later...

No positive spin here, unfortunately.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4215118-update-620-pm-und-school-law-looks-tuition-increase-puts-pro-bono-clinic-hiatus

Those cuts will include no longer operating the law clinic, which provides pro bono legal service primarily in immigration and employment law fields. The clinic allows law students to get some of the hands-on credits they need to earn their juris doctorates. Rand said they would have to get creative in how students get experiential credits.

Assistant Dean Bradley Parrish told the students they might be able to work with other regional law schools to get students clinic experience.

Staff at the clinic also will be affected. When a law student asked what would become of clinical education administrative assistant Kathie Johnke, she spoke up.  “After 18½ years, I have been cut to part time,” Johnke told the students. “I had five years until retirement.”

Students asked questions for about a half-hour, many concerned about the loss of the clinic. Some first-year law students expressed feeling burned by the loss of the clinic, which they thought they’d be able to take advantage of at UND.

“Please join me in being positive and optimistic,” Rand implored the students.

On 8/2/2016 at 5:57 PM, geaux_sioux said:

The NDSU ticket guy waved at me as he drove by one day because he recognized me by my car that he loved to load up with tickets and I was about a half second from a bunch of felonies before I realized that he is just the ticket guy and he wasn't worth it but man did I want it.

The NDSU guys are monsters.  I got a couple at UND but for how often I was parked illegally up there,  not too bad. 

Ranking the sports on university campuses relative to TV exposure and ratings....1) football 2) basketball...after that you'd have to ask the networks....I would guess baseball,,track and field, softball, and perhaps wrestling rank above hockey.  Nationally....

Hockey  probably on a par with lacrosse...and women's hockey.....would barely register....the only time the US gets excited about amateur hockey....is once every 4 years ..at Olympic time....and now the pros have taken that over.....I have a friend who teaches @ASU.....didn't know the Sun Devils had a hockey team.....and he follows their FB , BB, baseball and softball teams....so is not a sports black hole!!!!!

Check out press coverage in Minnesota relative to Gopher sports....where does hockey rank ...even "in the state of......"?????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1