SiouxSports.com Forum

NDUS Budget Cuts (changed name to be system-wide)

Cratter

On 5/23/2018 at 10:22 PM, Cratter said:

Rumor has it, UND is going to take another dorm offline this summer because of lack of on campus students.

If you haven't driven by NDSU's new $40 million dorm that is currently under construction, it's quite the massive building.

NDSU+NEW+DORM+2ND+TRY+PIC.png

Yeah, we got the same one...its called the Boden!

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

There seems to be some confusion. The initial question, by northernraider, was about the tearing up of the UND soccer field. Not the resurfacing of a parking lot, that was not gravel.

Thanks, maybe I just looked at it wrong. Perhaps it was the parking lot that was being affected, but pretty sure it was the field. The goals were placed in the Altru Clinic Parking lot

15 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

Not sure if you're poking fun or not, but that's completely fair to point to for UND.  There has been tens of millions of $ in private apartments put up right on the doorstep of campus with the Boden and all the 42nd St development.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not sure if you're poking fun or not, but that's completely fair to point to for UND.  There has been tens of millions of $ in private apartments put up right on the doorstep of campus with the Boden and all the 42nd St development.

Frankly, I'm glad to see private developers doing that development. Why? It shows the private sector sees building around UND as a good investment: Boden, that monster complex north of Alerus, the combined use buildings west of campus (like where Red Pepper West is with apartments above). 

Alternatively, if the building is built by the university, the State is on the hook to pay for it if it doesn't self-sustain. 

I was wondering what was going on at the soccer field as well. Driving by multiple times today, it appears they have bulldozed all the black dirt to the west and are now hauling in more dirt. Would they be building up elevation to help with water issues? Has wet playing fields been an issue in the past? 

38 minutes ago, BobIwabuchiFan said:

One is private. One is build by the actual university.

There are also massive private apartment complexes being build right next to NDSUs campus as I type this.

3 minutes ago, JTSchro said:

I was wondering what was going on at the soccer field as well. Driving by multiple times today, it appears they have bulldozed all the black dirt to the west and are now hauling in more dirt. Would they be building up elevation to help with water issues? Has wet playing fields been an issue in the past? 

Maybe they're putting in turf?

I think there's also some confusion when barnwintersports said "gravel, used by Med School and then also for parking for hockey game.”

He meant the gravel parking lot behind albatross not the tore up old med school parking lot.

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

There are also massive private apartment complexes being build right next to NDSUs campus as I type this.

Kinda-sorta-private. If you dig into who is doing those it's some folks with NDSU foundation ties as a "favor" to the school. I know a couple of the people and they wonder if they'll see full ROI. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Kinda-sorta-private. If you dig into who is doing those it's some folks with NDSU foundation ties as a "favor" to the school. I know a couple of the people and they wonder if they'll see full ROI. 

In come cases, isn't it the actual NDSU Foundation who bought up all the lots and is doing the building? 

32 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

More brilliance coming from them. First profits from charitable gaming now this.

They won't have any problem renting those out. Such a prime spot just like the Boden.

16 hours ago, Cratter said:

Exactly my point...one was built with Private $ which has to pay property taxes and one is paid by public $ and doesn't pay property taxes...which one will make your pocket book fatter?  The whole reason Universities want the housing in their control is how much money they make from it...At UND, on-campus housing/food service for a year will cost you about as much as the tuition.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:20 PM, Cratter said:

I think there's also some confusion when barnwintersports said "gravel, used by Med School and then also for parking for hockey game.”

He meant the gravel parking lot behind albatross not the tore up old med school parking lot.

Yes , sorry for the confusion, I meant lot NE of The Ralph. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting stuff.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/columns/4571126-port-und-plans-spend-25000-year-letting-chief-staff-work-home…-north

The university will pay for Foster to back and forth from North Carolina to Grand Forks. “We are estimating those trips will average $1,000 with air fare, lodging and access to a vehicle.”