SiouxSports.com Forum

KFGO loses NDSU radio broadcast rights

fightingsioux4life

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Today on News and Views at 10:05am, Joel Heitkamp, Brian Faison and Jack Michaels announced that KFGO is the new Fargo affiliate for UND athletics. But I won't say I told you so because I am a nice guy at heart. ;) :p

What exactly are you not saying "I told you so" on? The affiliation deal was up for bid in Fargo, KFGO wanted the rights and sounds like they are doing to dedicate some major airtime to UND. Very excited to see that they are going to do a daily show, though I'm guessing material might run a little thin at times.

The only thing I'm hoping is that UND has a strong buyout clause in it this time around.

13 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

so, games will be on 790, not 740?

This is from the press release:

Hockey and football broadcasts can be heard on KFGO AM 790 while men’s and women’s basketball broadcasts, and the weekly Coaches Shows will air on AM 740 The Fan (KVOX AM). The daily program, UND Sports Today, will air on both stations.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

What exactly are you not saying "I told you so" on? The affiliation deal was up for bid in Fargo, KFGO wanted the rights and sounds like they are doing to dedicate some major airtime to UND. Very excited to see that they are going to do a daily show, though I'm guessing material might run a little thin at times.

The only thing I'm hoping is that UND has a strong buyout clause in it this time around.

You and your tag team partner 82SiouxGuy insisted that this either a) wouldn't happen and/or b) shouldn't happen. I just wanted to remind you and your tag partner that you don't know everything and the "Father Knows Best" routine you use on here gets old and occasionally gets you burned.

And you obviously missed the ;) and :p at the end of my message; I was being snarky. But I suppose you'll contest that too? :silly:

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You and your tag team partner 82SiouxGuy insisted that this either a) wouldn't happen and/or b) shouldn't happen. I just wanted to remind you and your tag partner that you don't know everything and the "Father Knows Best" routine you use on here gets old and occasionally gets you burned.

And you obviously missed the ;) and :p at the end of my message; I was being snarky. But I suppose you'll contest that too? :silly:

Yeah, really sounds like that's what I "insisted". I don't see anywhere where I said it wouldn't or shouldn't happen but feel free to think that.

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, jdub27 said:

Just curious on why UND should be in a hurry to go back to KFGO after how they ended the previous relationship? They gave UND a 2 hour notice that they were dropping UND after 17 years, not to mention they were less than 1 year into a new 3 year deal.

For the record, I believe the affiliation deal with WDAY is up after this season and I'm sure both KFGO and WDAY will be looked at.

You seemed to be the one who had an issue when the original break happened.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2012 at 9:30 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

I will second you on that. It was a backhanded, back-stabbing move and I am still ticked off about it. I wonder how many UND alums that live in Imperial Cass have stopped listening to KFGO since that happened? People seem to forget how many of our fans live down there. Of course, Bison fans will have you believe that hockey "just doesn't matter" outside the Grand Forks city limits and NDSU is ALL that matters in the state. :silly:

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

This is from the press release:

Hockey and football broadcasts can be heard on KFGO AM 790 while men’s and women’s basketball broadcasts, and the weekly Coaches Shows will air on AM 740 The Fan (KVOX AM). The daily program, UND Sports Today, will air on both stations.

well that stinks; i can get 740

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Aren't they all online?

That isn't an option all the time; especially like if i'm helping my dad with harvest, or if i'm up at the lake. I just hope they get on stations across the state, so that it's a radio deal that makes games accessible, ya know, on the radio.

1 hour ago, ericpnelson said:

That isn't an option all the time; especially like if i'm helping my dad with harvest, or if i'm up at the lake. 

I don't know what cell phone reception is like in western ND. But lakes country, deep in state park campgrounds, and on the family farm I'm don't think I've ever lost LTE service.

My car isn't blue tooth enabled but I bought a Bluetooth device that plugs into the aux port and wireless connects to my phone allowing my phone to play wirelessly through the cars speakers. It's how I've listen to UND sports whenever driving (and GF talk radio).

57 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

I just hope they get on stations across the state.

I'm would have to assume just like before it is available statewide and not just the one station for the entire state.

It's the "base station" and affiliates pick it up across the entire state.

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

On 3/30/2016 at 3:12 PM, 82SiouxGuy said:

How about jumping back to NDSU again, just like they did last time. There isn't a guarantee that the new NDSU arrangement is going to work out, and it isn't going to last forever.

KFGO has plenty of options besides giving UND some kind of sweetheart deal. They could play professional sports. They could broadcast major college sports. They could become the home of smaller local college sports. They could expand their news broadcasting. They could broadcast one of the national sports channels in the evening and on the weekend. They aren't going to roll over and hand the keys to UND. But they might be interested in working with UND on a mutually productive contract when the current UND deal is done.

I never said that it wouldn't or shouldn't happen. It looks like I said that it could happen if it was good for both sides. It must be good for both sides if they are calling it partnering. It appears like I was pretty close. Maybe you were thinking about someone else that said it wouldn't or shouldn't happen.

"We are looking forward to partnering with Midwest Radio – Fargo Moorhead to deliver the best quality broadcasts in the Fargo market,” University of North Dakota Director of Athletics Brian Faison said. “Midwest Radio is a respected name in the industry and working with them will provide a valuable product for our fans throughout the various sport seasons. I’d also like to thank WDAY, our previous partner, for their commitment and service to our department over the last several years.”

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I don't know what cell phone reception is like in western ND. But lakes country, deep in state park campgrounds, and on the family farm I'm don't think I've ever lost LTE service.

My car isn't blue tooth enabled but I bought a Bluetooth device that plugs into the aux port and wireless connects to my phone allowing my phone to play wirelessly through the cars speakers. It's how I've listen to UND sports whenever driving (and GF talk radio).

Yah. I get that.  I stream from the und app often. I'm jsut often on the road on the weekends through questionable service throughout the state, so personally I just think it would be cool for all the games to be on 550, 710, or 740. A lot of the times they are (hockey more so than football), but it seems like randomly they won't be, and I'm left seeking through my car radio just hoping is all. If football and hockey (particularly away games) are on one of those big 3, I'm more than happy.

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

What daily show are they doing? That would be new.

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

What daily show are they doing? That would be new.

"Show" is strong. They produce a daily two or three minute "UND Sports Today" program that a station can easily run a couple times during the day (normally drive times). That's what they do now at least. That could change.

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

"Show" is strong. They produce a daily two or three minute "UND Sports Today" program that a station can easily run a couple times during the day (normally drive times). That's what they do now at least. That could change.

I hear that now on WDAY here in Fargo, or at least did. That is kind of a nice daily update to keep you up to date on all of the schools sports.