SiouxSports.com Forum

KFGO loses NDSU radio broadcast rights

fightingsioux4life

Thinking out loud here ... 

KFGO has actually slid in the ratings lately (previous link). I guess not "slid" as much as there's someone catching them. They used to have double the Arbitron number of the next closest. Now The Fox is really close. 

I'm not sure what the root cause is for KFGO: demographics, format, or programming. 

It'd be interesting to know how hard "the KFGO family of stations" fought to keep NDSU. They could've easily rebranded 740 The Fan to be "The Bison", yet that's not happening. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thinking out loud here ... 

KFGO has actually slid in the ratings lately (previous link). I guess not "slid" as much as there's someone catching them. They used to have double the Arbitron number of the next closest. Now The Fox is really close. 

I'm not sure what the root cause is for KFGO: demographics, format, or programming. 

It'd be interesting to know how hard "the KFGO family of stations" fought to keep NDSU. They could've easily rebranded 740 The Fan to be "The Bison", yet that's not happening. 

It might be a combination of Sandy Buttweiler switching to WDAY and leaving her long-time partner Jack Sunday and Mike McFeely leaving and being replaced by Dan Hammer. I imagine that has caused some people to jump ship.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Just curious on why UND should be in a hurry to go back to KFGO after how they ended the previous relationship? They gave UND a 2 hour notice that they were dropping UND after 17 years, not to mention they were less than 1 year into a new 3 year deal.

For the record, I believe the affiliation deal with WDAY is up after this season and I'm sure both KFGO and WDAY will be looked at.

KFGO is in a vulnerable position losing NDSU athletics; they will be looking for something to plug that gap. If the best thing is NDSU, then the second-best thing is UND. Like I said, Karma is a beautiful thing. The shoe is on the other foot and we might be able to get a better deal because of that.

What else are they going to put on? MSU-Moorhead and Concordia?

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Just heard this on News and Views:

http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/3/29/general-north-dakota-state-announces-media-rights-agreements.aspx

Now that KFGO is, shall we say, fair game, maybe UND could move in and fill the vacuum? Someone on the Frozen Four thread was complaining that Joel Heitkamp doesn't talk about UND enough; this would change all that in a hurry. Not to mention p!$$ off NDSU fans! :devil:

It is time UND was proactive about stuff like this instead of being reactive. Get on the horn and get it done! :)

Not many Bison fans care for JH and consider him a tool. Its also well known hes a UND fan.  So why would that pizz off Bison fans now?:)  We would be more than happy if you would take him off our hands.

2 minutes ago, bison73 said:

Not many Bison fans care for JH and consider him a tool. Its also well known hes a UND fan.  So why would that pizz off Bison fans now?:)  We would be more than happy if you would take him off our hands.

I think Joel is a big UND hockey fan, but for all the other sports, it's all Bison, Bison, Bison.

Here are some rough coverage area maps for radio stations being discussed. Remember that AM radio stations have to cut power and often direct their signal at night. Most games are broadcast at night, so these are the most appropriate maps to consider.

96.1 The Fox Grand Forks, the flagship home for UND Men's Hockey in Grand Forks.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KQHT-FM

KFGO night signal, notice how limited it is to the southwest, southeast, and even to the south. Much of it's coverage area overlaps Cat Country, so it doesn't help expand the coverage area nearly as much.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KFGO-AM&h=N

WDAY night signal, much better than KFGO especially to the south and west.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WDAY-AM&h=N

107 The Fox, NDSU loses coverage to the north but gains coverage to the southwest, southeast, and south, all areas with more NDSU fans than the northern valley.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KPFX-FM

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Here are some rough coverage area maps for radio stations being discussed. Remember that AM radio stations have to cut power and often direct their signal at night. Most games are broadcast at night, so these are the most appropriate maps to consider.

Cat Country, the flagship home for UND Men's Hockey in Grand Forks.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KQHT-FM

KFGO night signal, notice how limited it is to the southwest, southeast, and even to the south. Much of it's coverage area overlaps Cat Country, so it doesn't help expand the coverage area nearly as much.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KFGO-AM&h=N

WDAY night signal, much better than KFGO especially to the south and west.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WDAY-AM&h=N

107 The Fox, NDSU loses coverage to the north but gains coverage to the southwest, southeast, and south, all areas with more NDSU fans than the northern valley.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KPFX-FM

Cat Country? UND hockey is on 96.1 FM The Fox unless there is broadcasting conflict with basketball or football.

29 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Cat Country? UND hockey is on 96.1 FM The Fox unless there is broadcasting conflict with basketball or football.

Right map, wrong station name. That is the map for 96.1 The Fox in Grand Forks. Here is the map for Cat Country, which I believe is the home for Men's and Women's basketball.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KSNR-FM

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It might be a combination of Sandy Buttweiler switching to WDAY and leaving her long-time partner Jack Sunday and Mike McFeely leaving and being replaced by Dan Hammer. I imagine that has caused some people to jump ship.

Did they leave or did they "leave"? 

17 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Simply put, KFGO has a monster signal that reaches a lot of people all over the region. Nobody would have any trouble picking up our games. That is my main motivation for snatching up 790AM. That and p!$$ing off all the Bison fans in the region! :devil:

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2012 at 9:30 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

I will second you on that. It was a backhanded, back-stabbing move and I am still ticked off about it. I wonder how many UND alums that live in Imperial Cass have stopped listening to KFGO since that happened? People seem to forget how many of our fans live down there.

Apparently time heals all wounds. 2 1/2 years after KFGO dropped UND, you were still "ticked off" about it but now, if I understand correctly, you are in favor of UND dropping WDAY and going right back to KFGO.

13 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Apparently time heals all wounds. 2 1/2 years after KFGO dropped UND, you were still "ticked off" about it but now, if I understand correctly, you are in favor of UND dropping WDAY and going right back to KFGO.

Like I have said several times already, we have them right where we want them this time. They lost their precious Bison contract and would probably snatch up our games in a second. But this time, we have the high-ground and the leverage and we could use it to get a better deal than we used to have with KFGO and better than what we have right now with WDAY. I haven't forgotten what happened 7 years ago; in fact, I am making the case for using it as leverage in contract negotiations.

Sometimes, you have to put personal feelings aside and promote what is best for UND and its programs (it's called pragmatism). Letting go of the Fighting Sioux name and logo was one example of this. And this is another example.

1 hour ago, Old Time Hockey said:

My guess one left and "leaved".  

One was as fresh as a Foghat concert and the other butted heads with the other egomaniac (JH).

KFGO burned the bridge.  Let them choke on this while they cover Dragon Athletics for awhile.

Why do you have to make MSUM seem like a bad thing?  .500+ football team, Very good bball teams, and a pres. that is turning the ship.  

Full Disclosure: I'm an Alum ;)

14 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

KFGO is in a vulnerable position losing NDSU athletics; they will be looking for something to plug that gap. If the best thing is NDSU, then the second-best thing is UND. Like I said, Karma is a beautiful thing. The shoe is on the other foot and we might be able to get a better deal because of that.

What else are they going to put on? MSU-Moorhead and Concordia?

Doesn't MSUM already have some deal with WDAY?  

38 minutes ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

Why do you have to make MSUM seem like a bad thing?  .500+ football team, Very good bball teams, and a pres. that is turning the ship.  

Full Disclosure: I'm an Alum ;)

Nobody is saying MSUM is a bad place to get an education. It just isn't at the same level of a UND or NDSU in the world of intercollegiate athletics.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Nobody is saying MSUM is a bad place to get an education. It just isn't at the same level of a UND or NDSU in the world of intercollegiate athletics.

It was a tongue in cheek post.  I am well aware of where our athletics stand in the collegiate world.  That said, I believe we are moving up in the world. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Like I have said several times already, we have them right where we want them this time. They lost their precious Bison contract and would probably snatch up our games in a second. But this time, we have the high-ground and the leverage and we could use it to get a better deal than we used to have with KFGO and better than what we have right now with WDAY. I haven't forgotten what happened 7 years ago; in fact, I am making the case for using it as leverage in contract negotiations.

Sometimes, you have to put personal feelings aside and promote what is best for UND and its programs (it's called pragmatism). Letting go of the Fighting Sioux name and logo was one example of this. And this is another example.

What is to prevent KFGO from just leaving UND high and dry again?  By moving back to KFGO, we pretty much burn a bridge with WDAY just like KFGO did when they dropped UND.  UND could negotiate increased presence on WDAY just as easily as they could with KFGO.  Both stations likely really want UND athletics (although not as much as NDSU athletics).

22 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

What in the heck do Joel Heitkamp's political viewpoints have to do with coverage of our sports teams? If I thought The Flag in Fargo would do a good job of broadcasting our games, I would be all for it. Even though they are a right-wing Tealiban station. :p

Simply put, KFGO has a monster signal that reaches a lot of people all over the region. Nobody would have any trouble picking up our games. That is my main motivation for snatching up 790AM. That and p!$$ing off all the Bison fans in the region! :devil:

And for the record, Dan Hammer holds down the 2-5pm time slot on KFGO and he is a self-described conservative.

*drops mic*

Don't care. JH is a POS. Just listen to the guy when he is on. Count how many times he uses "I"......I was this, i was that, I know him, i used to do this. He is a modern day Sid Hartman. We don't need a narcissistic, closet Bison fan to help broadcast UND athletics. 

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

What is to prevent KFGO from just leaving UND high and dry again?  By moving back to KFGO, we pretty much burn a bridge with WDAY just like KFGO did when they dropped UND.  UND could negotiate increased presence on WDAY just as easily as they could with KFGO.  Both stations likely really want UND athletics (although not as much as NDSU athletics).

Where would KFGO jump to if they screwed us again? The Bison contract has been lost. They have a huge hole in their programing to fill.